Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

questions: how to make a starbase

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 2:45:15 PM
just out of curiousness, has anyone who has been doing starbase tried to make engine slot component which has:

in it?

It could be given some nice health / defence / offence boosts too, just to pretend that starbases has better stats.

Wouldn't even have to build completly new ship then.

Almost only problem would be that AI with all it's smartness would probably but component to colonization ships.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 4:00:21 PM
Actually what I've done is simply cranked the two movement field values to -999 on the ship hull and that ship does not move outside of wormholes and I have an idea on how to adjust that. The first move field is the basic movement, the second field refers to warp.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 5:27:49 PM
one could try setting this to 0 for a ship

TargetProperty="FleetWormholeUnlock"

not sure though what would happen, basically this is set to 1 for empire when you research correct techonology.

Setting it to 0 most likely don't do anything, of course there is also chance that it works... but it's equal to it crashing everything.

notice that there is also TargetProperty="FleetWormhole2Unlock"
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 28, 2012, 12:33:16 AM
Works Perfectly - Prevents almost all movement

[CODE]

[/CODE]

Trouble is still with wormholes - I tried

[CODE]

[/CODE]

but the ship still transits wormholes, any ideas?

0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 28, 2012, 12:42:57 AM
Make it a wormhole starbase? lol
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 28, 2012, 1:15:24 AM
Basically ClassEmpire seems to overwrite any ClassShip / ClassFleet. I tried changing wormholes modifier to ship and class but that just broke wormholes completely.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 28, 2012, 10:01:51 AM
iblise wrote:
Basically ClassEmpire seems to overwrite any ClassShip / ClassFleet. I tried changing wormholes modifier to ship and class but that just broke wormholes completely.

Was afraid of this, I also am bit afraid that it has nothing to do with what that Path is.

I was hoping that loadorder for ship bonuses is:

Ship

Other modifiers

Components

But it seems that compontents are count before other bonuses. (makes sense since there is Percent values on some bonuses).

Last possible option is to make invisible Trait (or non set bonus) and let all components/ships has that but it just gets too messy and ugly.

Sadly it seems that we can't deny ships travel via wormholes (easily) without being able to edit order of which these variables are loaded and thats hardcoded.

Of course one could before that make galaxies without single wormhole (I haven't looked galaxy generator but I'm fairly sure that thats possible) but that once again is just temporary solution and renders couple techonologies completly useless.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 1:18:33 PM
Many people have requested starbases, stationary units which carry ship weapons and can prevent blockades and pirates. This thread contains some questions about how to make them.

On another thread there is a question about how to make a ship unit with movement 0. Changing the movement to zero is easy. However, *keeping* it at zero turns out to be hard. How can we prevent the game from allowing the starbase to move with:

* Advanced engines mounted in the starbase

* Fleet engines in other ships

* "Warp" or free movement (which uses a different movement rating)

* Hero abilities

* Random events (there is a +movement event)

* Others we haven't thought of?

Also, it is likely we cannot mod these things yet, but what else should we consider?

* Starbase will "warp in" at start of tactical combat

* Starbase will move in fleet formation with other ships during tactical combat

* Cannot yet add new graphics for any ship

* Others we haven't thought of?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 10, 2012, 12:34:57 PM
stacking them could make turtle'ing much more viable, maybe even too viable. if they have substantial bonuses, they need to have commensurate costs as well.

Maybe some exponential function to model cost per each starbase? that way the first one would be easy, for pirate defense and stray ships, but chokepoints and key systems would be worth the heavy investment to bring two or three starbases to bear.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 10, 2012, 5:12:15 PM
Sins made a special ship that can destroy starbases efficiently. We could make starbases strong to normal defenses, but weak to a new weapon type.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 10, 2012, 5:45:11 PM
Considering their type, I would go for kinetics.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 10, 2012, 5:57:25 PM
oxcart fallacy, why fix what doesn't need a specific counter? do we really need another element to the already rock-paper-scissor mechanics?

how would you be proposing to extrapolate kinetic weaponry? upscaling massively, perhaps?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 10, 2012, 6:05:28 PM
Well the general idea is that the star-base is a large, not really moving unit.

Giving it a natural weakness in its deflectors should do the trick.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 10, 2012, 6:28:41 PM
seanw3 wrote:
Sins made a special ship that can destroy starbases efficiently. We could make starbases strong to normal defenses, but weak to a new weapon type.

There is difference between Sins and ES starbases (for one ES doesn't have starbases but lets ignore minor details :P) ...

In Sins you have multiupgradeble starbases which can easily beat any enemy fleet alone and with support any capital ship.

One could argue that starbase with 50 weapons and similar amount of defence in ES could be better than starbase in Sins (now that would be match of day) but even that starbase in ES would be beatable with missileship armies.

(notice missile hits after ship has destroyed)

Anyway (oh, I am going to so make Igncom1 angry again) if something starbase should be from Master of Orion 2, where it was deadly until you overteched, over fleeted or just overovered (what? You are saying that warping, cloaking, capitalship with best weapons is powerful... njaah, you haven't seen endless dream capital ships yet :P) it.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment