Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

modding tutorial: discussion

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Sep 2, 2012, 4:25:29 PM
Can anybody suggest a better way to modify existing tech icons? I used the template created by nycidian, and tried to simply copy the existing tech icons. The result "works" but looks very poor. Here is a screenshot:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198027863335/screenshot/595853876599377156

If you look above and to the left of alternative armors, you will see a new technology, specialized thrusters. This unlocks a custom icon (the game controller with the white details removed) which is working OK. The round icon with the n,p is one which I created, by screen-shotting isotope fabrication.

The first problem is that I created the transparency around the edges with an erase brush, and it came out ragged. I am sure a "graphics expert" could explain how to add the exact circular transparency onto my screenshot.

The second problem is also visible in the two blank icons above it, "fusion thrusters" and "focused plasma". Both of these are nycidian's icon template, which is solid black. If you notice, both blank icons have a grey gradient displayed, which is not part of the icon file. So, the game is rendering these icons and adding the gradient. So, the gradient is part of any screenshot and cannot be removed. That is why my n-p icon has "double" the gradient applied, as you can see in the screenshot.

I guess I will pause the project of creating any icons via screenshot, and wait for the dev team to release the real icons. Although the transparency problem might be solvable by a graphics expert, the double gradient problem does not seem solvable.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 3, 2012, 3:53:04 AM
Please look up masking and gimp, masking is the best way to do what you want to do. It is not very complex but too much to go into in a post.

P.S.

It is also possible to remove the gradient with gimp using layers and subtraction I believe, though this would require a significant amount of guess work.

P.S.S.

The other option is just to import the icons into Inkscape and "trace bitmap" and make a svg file you can easily manipulate then import the re colorized svg into gimp and save it as a png file.

I will make a post showing the step by step process in a bit.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 4, 2012, 11:08:01 AM
davea wrote:
Or, maybe the dev team will release the original icons.

As stated here, it will be done this week.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment