Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Increased number of Stars

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 6:57:16 AM
DeamonStorm wrote:
Im glad you are all finding this helpful. I have done some more tinkering with these settings and discovered the following:

1. If you leave the strategic resource and luxury resources alone, on a large map with more stars, resources become scarce.

2. This means that you will find yourself fighting wars over those resources, which I think is neat.

You're absolutely right. I even would go as far as to make resources really scarce. You could get pitched battles for systems that normally wouldn't be relevant at all, but if it means that you are one of the few that obtains Hyperium for LaZoRs....

I couldn't really be bothered with modding until this point (although I'm a veteran tinkerer), but time to break out the sloppy tea and bad music.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 18, 2012, 8:29:49 PM
DeamonStorm wrote:
Okay, I think I figured out how to increase the number of stars in the Galaxy Generator. Here is how:

1. Navigate to steam>steamapps>common>Endless Space>Assets>XML>GalaxyGenerator

2. BACKUP Galaxysettigs.xml. This is important in case you want to go back later to vanilla.

3. Right-Click and Edit GalaxySettings.xml

4. Scroll down till you see this:

5. Edit the 'NumStars' properties for each size of Galaxy to what will suit your tastes.

6. Save and you are done.

Remember that this is the multiplier to the number of stars selected in the 'Advanced' galaxy Options. As such, this can seriously slow down low end systems.

I have a very good PC and I doubled all these values. I then launched a HUGE galaxy with The highest density in the advanced options. It took 15 minutes for the game

to generate the map, but, it did it and Im about to start playing.

Edit: Also, I would recommend you increase the width of the Galaxy as well on the same scale. So, if you double the stars, double the width too to help keep the scale.

Let me know if this helps any of you. smiley: smile

OKay, Im just updating the location of this file so that people can find their GalaxySettings file. Its located at:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Space\Public\Plugins\GalaxyGenerator

Have fun.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 1:13:31 PM
Azalrion wrote:
Its 250, its limited by the number of available Star System names defined in the XML, if you add more names then you can add more than 250 stars. If the number of stars is above the number of names it will not load.

That makes perfect sense. I racked it up until 240 planets and it took me 15-20 minutes to load. The vast expanse...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 11:49:27 AM
Its 250, its limited by the number of available Star System names defined in the XML, if you add more names then you can add more than 250 stars. If the number of stars is above the number of names it will not load.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 8:29:32 AM
I thinks it may be limited to just under 256 stars, It hasn't loaded for me with 255 but (If I remember correctly) it loaded fine with 250... It makes sense for 256 though, with 2^8 and all
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 3, 2012, 2:24:11 PM
Platoonsgt1 wrote:
I decided to push it to 640 stars (Not kidding) after 160 stars took about 3 mins...

It's been loading for about 2 hours now...

Sounds like when I tried making a 100 star galaxy in SoaE... it took 1:30 hour to load the crashed to desktop because of planet overload.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 8:20:15 PM
I agree! especially since that is the main reason humans war with each other, why not species! smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 29, 2012, 3:06:31 PM
Ive been looking through the forums to see if I can find something like this. I was told by a mod that it had already been posted somewhere.

Im basically looking for a mod or a work around that will increase the number of stars in a galaxy. I know that there are games out there right

now that can have upwards of 5000 stars. But, I dont want that many, just a way to make a larger, denser and more interesting map.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 4:36:57 PM
DeamonStorm wrote:
1. If you leave the strategic resource and luxury resources alone, on a large map with more stars, resources become scarce.

2. This means that you will find yourself fighting wars over those resources, which I think is neat.

I might do that for a future game. Change "strategic resource num per type" to about six in a large map. Leave the number of stars the same. Hehehehe...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 1:03:35 PM
Im glad you are all finding this helpful. I have done some more tinkering with these settings and discovered the following:

0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 7:48:57 AM
I decided to push it to 640 stars (Not kidding) after 160 stars took about 3 mins...

It's been loading for about 2 hours now...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 6:27:21 AM
Let me know if this helps any of you.

Yup it helps me, I like push things till they break. Thanks.

Good luck with that massive 160 star game, be prepared for long load times once you own 100 star systems with the fleets to match if that's where your headed.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 29, 2012, 6:15:49 PM
Okay, I think I figured out how to increase the number of stars in the Galaxy Generator. Here is how:

1. Navigate to steam>steamapps>common>Endless Space>Assets>XML>GalaxyGenerator

2. BACKUP Galaxysettigs.xml. This is important in case you want to go back later to vanilla.

3. Right-Click and Edit GalaxySettings.xml

4. Scroll down till you see this:

5. Edit the 'NumStars' properties for each size of Galaxy to what will suit your tastes.

6. Save and you are done.

Remember that this is the multiplier to the number of stars selected in the 'Advanced' galaxy Options. As such, this can seriously slow down low end systems.

I have a very good PC and I doubled all these values. I then launched a HUGE galaxy with The highest density in the advanced options. It took 15 minutes for the game

to generate the map, but, it did it and Im about to start playing.

Edit: Also, I would recommend you increase the width of the Galaxy as well on the same scale. So, if you double the stars, double the width too to help keep the scale.

Let me know if this helps any of you. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 29, 2012, 4:28:28 PM
a way to make a larger, denser and more interesting map.

It addresses the later two. As to the first I'm assuming you tried the advanced screen during new game creation and the option for "many" doesn't produce enough systems for you? I believe the max the game is designed to produce at the moment is 250, judging by the localization file, can't say if that many actually ever get produced though.

I know that there are games out there right now that can have upwards of 5000 stars.

Btw on this front the game likely can't handle that (certainly not at the moment), it barely handles high hundreds of ships atm on a huge system with most system colonized without unity barfing with a heap size exception.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 29, 2012, 3:59:24 PM
Does that increase the number of stars, or does it just rearrange the density of them to be more...'galaxy' like? I already downloaded it to be honest, but I want to be sure.
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment