Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

A starwars mod

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Oct 13, 2012, 1:04:30 PM
It seems to me that it would be pretty straighforward to make a StarWars themed mod with StarWars ships, heroes, factions, maybe even techs and improvements, without it needing to retrace EXACTLY the Empire vs Rebels situation from the movies.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 23, 2012, 11:56:44 AM
Who says the mod has to be historically accurate to star wars? You could very easily have single player custom game have all eras going at it, then scenarios where its the specific sides (empire vs rebellion, republic vs cis, etc etc.) Also, on the thread that discusses a possible expansion to the game, land combat has been suggested as a possible addition. If that were to happen, then it wouldn't be as difficult to mod.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 23, 2012, 11:32:34 AM
mandalorian, sith, jedi, republic, empire? (though jedi/republic and sith/empire tend to work together)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 22, 2012, 7:45:51 PM
I agree that the scope of the mod proposed is currently unachievable, but this is not related to the skill of any modder. ES gives some, but very limited access to mod things.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 22, 2012, 9:16:48 AM
The problem is that I very much doubt any form of working ground combat can be modded in, this goes way beyond what your average modder can do...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 21, 2012, 9:05:32 PM
I think a much simpler Mod based on the star wars universe would suffice for those of us who would desire one. Instead of trying to overhaul major gameplay mechanics to create a certain time period of star wars, I think there is much to explore with the concept of a blank slate star wars universe, say starting at 25,000 BBY (before battle of Yavin, for those of you who don't know the lingo). That year is around the founding of the Republic. The Lore would work like this:

Instead of Dust, you have the Force. The Endless are replaced by the Infinite Empire of the Rakatan.

Many different playable races, based on Star Wars species. Humans, Twileks, Wookies, Duros, Neimodians, Mandalorians, Chiss, Sith, etc. All would be viable. These would replace the current races.

A further way to do this could even be instead of having specific races that one chooses, they could instead choose a specific flavor of how they will appear. Then, they can choose a "race" that will just be their image for others to see. Races could have some distinct features to them such as the various traits (but obviously these could be customized if people wish) but the appearances would be the major thing, with ships from different time periods or races for each group to be based on. So, you could have a bunch of Imperial style ships, A bunch of republic era ships, KoTor era ships, Yuzzhan Vong type ships, etc etc.

I think the major addition that this game could add would be in the form of heroes. As mentioned earlier, Dust would be replaced with the Force. Therefore, each civilizations heroes would be force users, which I think those versed in Star Wars lore would be able to figure out the different abilities and how they could influence gameplay (jedi and sith pilots, jedi scholars improving planets as governors, maybe rogue force users having their own ability trees) You could also have heroes that play after non force users, like Han Solo types and Grand Admiral Thrawn types.

I think the major gameplay change would be to add star fighters into the game in the form of star wars star fighters, as well as a ground combat system that I was slightly inspired by in some of the above posts. I think a ground combat system similar to what exists for space combat would mesh really well with the star wars universe, given how lightsabers are quite prominent. Cinimatically they would be really cool too. You would just have different environments for each type of planet, then new battle cards as well for combat. This would create major impact for having jedi as heroes, and would add the star wars soldiers into the fray as well (storm troopers, mandalorians, smugglers, what ever else we can think of).

Overall, the major concepts would be this:

-A variety of star wars themed flavors (appearences). Imperial, Rebellion, Republic, CIS, KoTOR, Sith, Yuzzhan Vong, to name a few.

-New hero classes

-Ground combat

-New race traits, to reflect star wars universe

-miscellaneous artwork for various star wars races

-Scenarios maybe?

I am not a modder, so I obviously can't do this, but for those who would want to make a Star Wars Mod, thats some concepts to start with, perhaps.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 14, 2012, 12:45:39 PM
BlueTemplar wrote:
I've tried this Homeworld 2 Star Wars mod, and for some reason the Rebels get some of the star destroyers, any idea why?

Well the rebels are known to steal empire tech, so there is a possibility there.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 14, 2012, 12:36:36 PM
I've tried this Homeworld 2 Star Wars mod, and for some reason the Rebels get some of the star destroyers, any idea why?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 14, 2012, 11:58:54 AM
BlueTemplar wrote:
See? You're being too pedantic, like the previous poster! Just add random Star Wars stuff from various periods (maybe mainly from the original films and the prequels since that's what most people have been exposed to).

Grrrrrr to you sir.

But yeah, just add a range of things from any star wars lore that you like (Preferably in order of when they exists).

Because who doesn't want to see the rebels with star destroyers, and AT-AT invasion modules.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 14, 2012, 10:19:25 AM
See? You're being too pedantic, like the previous poster! Just add random Star Wars stuff from various periods (maybe mainly from the original films and the prequels since that's what most people have been exposed to).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 13, 2012, 10:51:04 PM
What time period of star wars?

Because there is up to something like 150,000 years of history.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 13, 2012, 6:06:37 PM
Well, I was merely answering to the previous posts... I have a friend that is a fan of Star Wars, and I was searching if there was already a Star Wars mod out there. I'm not so much of a Star Wars fan to make one myself... smiley: roll
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 13, 2012, 2:51:25 PM
BlueTemplar wrote:
It seems to me that it would be pretty straighforward to make a StarWars themed mod.
Please go ahead. I am sure many people would play it. I recommend you start with something small and release it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 13, 2012, 1:07:26 PM
BlueTemplar wrote:
It seems to me that it would be pretty straighforward to make a StarWars themed mod with StarWars ships, heroes, factions, maybe even techs and improvements, without it needing to retrace EXACTLY the Empire vs Rebels situation from the movies.

Good idea! smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 19, 2012, 1:21:17 AM
Well

I was thinking

In starwars, the Empire and Rebels dont really have "population" and have no need of food production

Would it be possible to mod their food to go to production, science, and dust?

And would it be possible to add a second population "type" to planets? An army? Population wouldnt go down unless it was the empire attacking, as the rebels obviously wouldnt be killing civilians

How else would you mod the current system to fit the feel of starwars?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 7:46:59 PM
To turn this bit away of joke post... How hard (atm quite due to we can make new ship graphics) it would be to turn VGA planets to Endless Space?

There is enough races and enough examples of ships (bit too many really), loads of different races with different ways to play (I dare you to play cyborg and federation similarly), well though tech tree, good examples of resources.

Would just require some completly insane coder team to even think about that process :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 9:59:46 AM
Also, a death star to get rid of annoying planets would be nice.

To the very end of the military branch I guess.

And lots of resources to complete.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 5:32:53 AM
I know in pretty much every moddable Space game it is a given that a Star Wars mod is needed, but this seems like too much of a challenge.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 2:54:38 AM
I think I understand the kind of mod the OP is talking about but it seems like it would be one much more suited for Gratuitous Space Battles but I understand the desire to have it more contextualized with a galactic map like the one this game provides. If anything to get a proper SW mod you probably shouldn't disable any of the population or resource features and simply calculate Imperial ground troops based off a percentage of the planets population so the Rebels can liberate them and vice versa.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 22, 2012, 9:23:16 AM
I think what one could extrapolate from this is that it also applies to the actual end-game: there should be a possibility to bring other species into the own empire, or to somehow simulate occupied planets have a non-home race population.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 20, 2012, 11:55:34 PM
EvilTactician wrote:
I sense a disturbance in the Force.

Young padawan, I fear you lack an understanding of the Star Wars universe.

Who me?

I understand it perfectly

Should a planet fall to control of the empire, the population doesnt change

nor does it change if the rebels liberate a planet

The rebels dont exactly go around killing the civilians of the planets they attack. The imperials might, but there is no way the rebels will, unless the planet wants to be subjected to imperial rule. Which would create a nice dynamic, like in empire at war, where civilians will attack either side based on the planet. Like those on Anaxes will atack the rebels, no matter if they are attacking or defending, and the mon calimarians will attack the imperials regardless of if they are attacking or defending
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 19, 2012, 3:31:46 PM
I sense a disturbance in the Force.

Young padawan, I fear you lack an understanding of the Star Wars universe.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 19, 2012, 2:42:29 AM
KenboCalrissian wrote:
Why wouldn't they require food?

Cause they arnt a civilization, not really

The empire doesnt colonize new planets

and a population is controlled by the empire, until free'd by the rebels, as each planet is a different nation in its own right. The empire just keeps them in line, and the rebels fight from bases where a population might not even exist, like Yavin or Hoth
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment