Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Good graphical XML editor

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jun 9, 2013, 8:17:22 AM
I searched the forums to see if this topic was brought up before, and didn't really find anything but, does anyone know of a good, free xml editor that represents the xml visually (i.e. not as text but as a table, list, etc)? All the ones I found were free trials for 30 days only. Modding the ~60 or so xml files can be really dull if dealing with the raw xml, so I'm interested in seeing what free editors have to offer.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 9, 2013, 5:58:55 PM
Thanks. The design is simple, yet pretty good. After a bit of playing around with it, I found that it takes issue with game's xml files. The real reason I posted this thread was because I stopped playing endless space (too addictive) for a long time and wanted to get back to modding it/ playing it, but didn't want to deal with xml text. so I made an editor designed somewhat around Endless Space xml files (still working on the look, though).

I was wondering if there were similar programs out there so that I could compare and see what features I am missing. I guess I'm missing alternate views of the xml.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 9, 2013, 11:02:29 PM
While an interesting idea for a GUI - I have found that Notepad++ colors the XML tags sufficiently for a familiar user to quickly navigate the script/code.

Regardless you may have to customize how the program displays it depending on which game you are modifying the XML files for (such as unique variables or tags for games such as Endless Space and Civ).
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 11, 2013, 1:55:54 PM
Any version of Visual Studio Express is also really, really useful for editing multiple XML files and it's what I used to make my Galciv 2 fix mod. Particularly the ability to search through multiple files is a godsend.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 12, 2013, 5:30:08 PM
Yeah, Visual Studio is what I use while my editor isn't finished. The goal is to eventually have features that are difficult with text editors, like batch element editing or linking to other open files.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment