Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Can you add custom race portraits?(If so, how?)

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jul 4, 2013, 5:53:16 AM
Hey, I just bought and installed the game, and I'm loving the custom race creation feature, but I'm wondering if you can add your race portraits? I'm seeing in the modding FAQ that you can add new hero portraits, tech icons, etc, but I didn't notice anything for race portraits.

Any help? Is it possible? Thanks!
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 7, 2013, 5:15:18 AM
You have to add a new default race. To do that you have to create an Endless Space mod. If you have Disharmony installed the paths are a little different but the process is the same. Instead copy the folder 'Public_xp1' to 'My Documents\Endless Space\Disharmony\Modding'.

Step One-

In the 'Gui' folder, create a new folder called 'Factions'. Add your custom faction art here or use these to test quickly.

Step Two-

Open the 'Simulation' folder and add this snippet to Faction.xml and save.

This will give you a faction called Humans with a custom portrait, the default Pilgrim description image and the default United Empire stats.

[CODE]

HUMANS

These guys are for real

AffinityTerran

AffinityMappingTerran

TraitTechA02;TraitEconomy01Norm1;TraitAlignmentEvil;TraitEconomy09Norm1;TraitFleet04Norm2;TraitDefense01Norm2;TraitHero01Alt1;TraitFleet09Norm2

[/CODE]

Hope I didnt miss anything smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 7, 2013, 11:50:38 PM
If you want further info on traits for your new custom race check out this thread.

/#/endless-space/forum/37-modding/thread/16200-endless-space-codes-anomaly-research-hero-etc

akeean posted (#16) the code and a breakdown on these, and along with the likes of AWMoore, KnightHawk and others (whom have produced excellent threads, blogs and resources for others), you'll get a very good education on how to mod ES.

Also check out Hirschi's post (#23) in the same thread for editing and saving.

As Scrivener07 has said there have been changes since Disharmony has been recently released. The modding giants are no doubt busy at work producing updates to their resources, but until then check and recheck the indexing you use as some of what has been produced will be out of date.

@Scrivener07

Thanks for that. You learn something every day smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 8, 2013, 12:14:40 AM
Well, ran into a snag. I'm trying to add specific traits to my faction, but the xml classifies the traits with vague codes, such as "TraitTechA02;TraitEconomy01Norm1;TraitAlignmentEvil" etc. How could I figure out which codes relate to each trait so I could actually enter the correct ones?

Here's what I've got so far:

[code]

COGNITUS DRIFT

Under construction.

AffinityTerran

AffinityMappingTerran

TraitTechA02;TraitEconomy01Norm1;TraitAlignmentEvil;TraitEconomy09Norm1;TraitFleet04Norm2;TraitDefense01Norm2;TraitHero01Alt1;TraitFleet09Norm2

[/code]

So far the name works, and the affinity works (though I'm confused about Terran being "evil"), but some things are confusing. For example, why are traits shown underneath the affinity stuff, and then there's a separate traits space where the traits are using confusing codes?

EDIT: Oh jeez, I didn't refresh the page for awhile. Didn't even realize you answered my question already, indigav. I'll check that out, thanks!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 8, 2013, 2:34:04 AM
Reading over that link you posted, indigav. A little hard to understand, but I think I'm getting it.

That said, I don't understand the entries within the
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 8, 2013, 3:10:17 PM
I'm no coding expert so I may be wrong, but that looks like the text description you see when you click to read the specs for each race. Look at the way it's constructed

I believe "Tech1:Industry1" matches "TraitTechA02" as do each of the following [] entries to the Traits below. Then the non [] entries are summed values/effects for the remaining Traits.

You'd have to check against what other modders have listed. I'm fairly certain that "Power Masters-1" is the "TraitHero01Alt1".

And before you ask; No I haven't a clue why some are in brackets and others aren't smiley: biggrin

I can say I've seen "!--" used in html and xml to identify text entries that are display items and not code. But as I said I'm no coding expert.

Unless someone else gives the answer the only way to know for sure is run it a few times and see what happens, or download a few different mods and pick them to pieces.

Happy modding. Let me know how it goes.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 8, 2013, 10:38:08 PM
Hmm, although the last one "TraitFleet09Norm 2" doesn't have a matching bracket entry. You're probably right, though. I wonder if the top entries do anything, or if they're just there for reference.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 9, 2013, 1:07:22 AM
XML reference - http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_syntax.asp

That page should explain the most common xml stuff.

The is the end tag. Anything in comments is ignored.

I havent beem modding ES very long but this is what Ive found.

Most of the stuff between xml tags are values like text, numbers, etc

Other times the value points to another value stored somewhere else, sometimes on the same document.

You can see this with %FactionTerDescription. Its points to a language translation file.

Compare the two snips below. Both snips are from different files so I gave them labels.

[CODE]

%FactionNameTerTitle

%FactionTerDescription

AffinityTerran

AffinityMappingTerran

[/CODE]

[CODE]

Home Planet Type: Terran

Diplomatic Alignment: Evil

Gameplay: Colonialist

Main Victory Type: Economic/Military

The Empire is theoretically under the control of a central monarchy. However, the rate of expansion means that the society cannot be ruled that way effectively.

In fact, the systems of the colonial diaspora are colonized by designated Corporations who work hand-in-hand with the Ministry of Investment and Development.

The Ministry of Security is involved as well, due to the need for native and/or alien pacification, security forces, defense, and surveillance.

[/CODE]

The fastest way to find where these values point is to search the documents for keywords. Sublime Text 2 does this well but I think n++ can too.

Most the other stuff points to Simulation\FactionTraits.xml. Affinities and traits are both jumbled in there so Ill just post the snips.

Here you can see the AffinityTerran and AffinityMappingTerran from above. You can also tweak your starting fleet with hidden subtraits. Most factions have subtraits only they use and its easy to make your own.

I still have some stuff to figure out like descriptors, personality, and any commands I can use. Im learning as I go making my own custom race, so I hope I not dead wrong about anything. smiley: smile

[CODE]

[/CODE]
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment