Thuvian's Quick Fix Mod

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jul 26, 2013, 10:14:53 PM
Thuvian's Quick Fix Mod

Download:

ThQFix-0.0.1.zip

Explanation

The 1.1.14 beta has been released and the devs are all getting out of the office for the first time in ages.

In retrospect some of the math they used was... not what was intended. Meedoc proposed a fix, but given that he is on vacation isn't implementing it. So I took it upon myself to make a quick change and mod for others. My solutions are different than Meedoc's, but I think he'll agree with me when he gets back that his modification wasn't sufficient to make the change he intended.

For more details see the mechanics thread: https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space/forum/33-strategy-guides/thread/14058-accuracy

Use Notes:

Feel free to take anything you want from it. Posting in the thread so I can keep up with what other things people are doing with Endless Space would be nice, but don't feel you have to.

What you'll Experience

Smaller ship defenses will be 200% more effective, Medium ship Defenses 100% more effective.

Ships will do more reliable damage and there is much less potential mechanic abuse.

Glass cannons will be less effective, although still the best ship design.

Actual Changes

v0.0.1

Removed all passive modifiers to defense modules in ShipDescriptor.xml

Reverted all HullWeakness values to 100 in Hull.xml

v0.0.0

I found out I'm incompetent and Meedoc helped me fix my script errors. Thanks Meedoc.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 26, 2013, 11:10:59 PM
Nice mod!

Could you explain what you changed to make it so that "Ships will do more reliable damage and there is much less potential mechanic abuse."?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 27, 2013, 12:04:03 AM
The exact mechanics are beyond the scope of this thread. See the previously cited thread for more precise details. Additionally, the files are available for your viewing and are quite small.

In general though, I removed the passive modifiers to defense modules and set all hull weaknesses back to 100. These modifiers resulted in decreased damage efficiency and severely reduced (or enhanced) defensive capabilities. They contained changes to ship accuracy and modifications to hull weakness. Removing them simplifies the game mechanics and makes them more consistent. Keeping them results in unexpected trends in damage and defense, the direction of which depends on the combination of modules you use, rest assured it was not something you'd want in a predictable system. Now, more weapons = more damage and more defenses = more defenses, this was not the case previously.

I think that the changes to base hull weakness was a good idea, but it was centered at the wrong point. Currently weapons are just too damaging. I also currently thinking that the firing rate of all weapons should be set to the same rate and that range accuracy should be switch back to how it was in 1.1.9. It seems like too many changes were applied at once to different parts of the code which resulted in a unplanned outcome.

I can't make any solid numbers, I just knocked off the long hanging fruit. Creating good damage mechanics are the domain of the folks with all of the combat mechanism available so that math and simulations can be done. I've just been reverse-engineering formulas and using the information provided by the devs. There were just so many different combat mechanics proposed during the Disharmony production that I think they've been swamped by too many what-ifs.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 27, 2013, 12:55:02 AM
The changes to hull weakness were intended to make lower CP ships less attractive for massing (by making them more easily lost). I don't see where more defense modules were not resulting in more defense either.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 27, 2013, 1:53:34 PM
The only defense I'm seeing there is accuracy. Nothing about the actual defense gained from mods.

And given Evasion formula you might as well not bother trying to use it anyway.

Edit: OK I see it, but that's a tuning error from the looks of it.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment