Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Modding Software - Is it worth it?

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Nov 7, 2013, 6:45:31 PM
I downloaded Endless Space because it looked interesting and it was cheap on steam. I was even more interested in it because I could Mod it. I was even more interested when I discovered there wasn't (or isn't to my knowledge) software to aid in some of the mundane functions of modding the software.

Unfortunately for me I spent hours figuring stuff out that had already been figured out by other people but modding software would make it so that people wouldn't have to deal with figuring it out. I have the ability to write some basic software that will make modding easier.

However, I've already modded my game to the extent that I can and desire, I have added a new race and affinity (that was "fun"). I can't add custom ships to the race so I use the Automaton's. Until they give me the ability to add my own ships to my mod my interest in modding is now zero. However, I do like to program and have a ongoing project I'm working on. If I'm going to take time to do this one I want to know if there is going to be enough people who actually care or would it inspire more people to mod.

Just Wondering... is it worth it. Its a tough question but with all the mods that don't seem to be getting updates etc I don't know if the modding community for this game is strong enough to justify modding software. Plus Amplitude may already have in works software that would make all my work obsolete.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 9, 2013, 5:16:07 PM
I'm sure the modding community would be more than happy to have a tool that expedite modding. With that said, make the tool only if you find it a fun thing to do for its own sake. That's probably a better motivation than trying to do it for other's sake where this game is concern because my experience has been that feedback for ES modding is pretty low from both other players/modders and from devs. You may just have to assume people like it despite the lack of response.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 9, 2013, 5:41:51 PM
I'd have to agree. Out of the past 375 downloads of the Super Nova mod, not one person could post a thank you or other comment about it.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 9, 2013, 10:43:32 PM
I believe any type of modding software would be a benefit to the modding community. It would make a lot of things easier and could help people with less know-how to mod. If you go ahead with your project you have my support.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 11, 2013, 1:53:06 AM
Hmmm... Thanks. I think it would be fun to do but there are many programs I could write for fun. OK. I may do this after all.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 19, 2013, 2:05:41 PM
One thing that is cruelly lacking when modding ES is an easy mean to alter the tech tree; doing it by hand is tedious and time consuming (the tech tree is a HUGE database).

Good luck making your tool smiley: smile.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 20, 2013, 12:19:40 AM
I was tempted to make a Matlab script that auto format tech tree from an xls
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 22, 2013, 1:54:01 AM
Antera wrote:
I was tempted to make a Matlab script that auto format tech tree from an xls

I hate matlab, that is all.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 26, 2013, 3:58:09 PM
I just really hope that there is a tool to create a mod without being wiped out by new updates, like civ5, my mod survived all the updates.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Dec 20, 2013, 11:53:31 PM
Mods should survive updates/steam validation already. After all they are stored %userprofile%\Documents\Endless Space\Disharmony\Modding\
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment