Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Is It Dead?

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Apr 9, 2014, 11:35:42 PM
As the title says...is modding dead? alot of these mods i just found out about have stopped updating. The only one of interest now is the eve mod.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Apr 30, 2014, 6:30:49 AM
Not to be a pessimist, but yes, it is effectively dead. The game wasn't exactly the most intuitive to mod, and when you couple that with a small fanbase (No matter how passionate), the mods are going to have a very small window of release. I'm personally working on my own mod, but that'll be ages off, and I think many people have moved on to other games (Such as Amplitude's new releases).
0Send private message
10 years ago
Apr 30, 2014, 8:57:23 AM
I'm not sure wether to continue working on the AI-Ship-template mod or not.

Since it would drastically increase the efficiency of the AI, I'd really like to have it done but then again I know how much work it is since they made it so each race has it's own set of templates.

It will probably be doable faster than the first time because I don't have to redo everything just make the changes according to my newer observations.

Since BNW Civ 5 kinda replaced ES for my 4x-needs.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Apr 30, 2014, 8:16:14 PM
I liked BNW, though not as much as Endless Space, or even Age of Wonders, for that matter.

Just wish it had a bit more soul to it.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Apr 30, 2014, 8:55:09 PM
On the other hand, some games like Alpha Centauri are still receiving mod updates today.

You never know - But if you're pessimistic about it up front, you're going to forget about the game and stop looking.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 3, 2014, 6:33:43 AM
I have to admit for me it is somewhat of a boycott. My issues are that as the programmers moved on to develop new games they would not even fix the random player generation in this. Yes you can still in theory find seven clones of your race to fight. What is worse is I bought Endless legend (now only 4 races) and it has the same problem. The first player race I ran into was my own. I was embarrassed for them.
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 6, 2014, 10:36:41 PM
Hopefully there will be motivation to set up compatibility with steam workshop, or if ES isn't worth it anymore, at least take the lessons into Endless Legends.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 6, 2014, 11:59:23 PM
Well, if nothing else, at least we know modding will be in Endless Legends. Hopefully it'll be easier to do this time around.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 8, 2014, 6:08:41 AM
You know, I think Endless Space would have sold much better if it had supported modding in a bigger way. A proper mod development kit could have been released as DLC. It still annoys me to no end that we can make 'custom' factions but the AI can't use them. We're railroaded into the same old experience for each new play-through. Just look at games like the Total War series or The Elder Scrolls to see how much of an impact a strong modding community can have.

If a developer is reading: it's not too late - if you created a program for ease of modding, I reckon the popularity of Endless Space would pick up again. There are few strategy games on the galactic scale that can compete in terms of gameplay. Allow people to be more creative with the game, and it would be truly awesome.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 9, 2014, 2:54:22 AM
There are other folks still around working on mods and even a few tools. ES modding isnt dead yet. Mod communities sometimes take years to mature after release.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment