Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

New Faction/improved Sheredyn

Copied to clipboard!
9 years ago
Apr 6, 2015, 4:58:57 PM
Hey, So lately I've been playing this game, and I have noticed that many of the factions are very similar, especially the united empire and the Sheredyn . I've been experimenting with the "Antera Faction Trait" mod, and other trait mods, and I was wondering if someone could make a trait in which the player couldn't produce colonization ships/ doesn't start with a colonization ship.

I think that it would really add the ability for a faction that operates with a single planet that would work as a homebase that could control the entire empire. Originally posted by MTB-Fritz:

this sounds a lil more complöicated then you make it sound. The base concept of the game is to amass resources in order to accomplish goals, be it military or economical. The more resources you possess the more you can do so getting "bigger" is an imperative in order to win the game.

I posted this on steam and received many ideas:

Your trait idea reminds me a lil of the Cultists from Endless Legend and they had whole game mechanics designed to support them (minor factions). Endless Space doesnt have such a thing so you would need to create and implement completely new content.

Any details in how you would make such a race competetive? It does sound interesting for sure. To my knowledge there is no trait or mod which does what you ask for at the moment but throwing out the idea to the modding community [forums.amplitude-studios.com] might find people interested enough to give it a try.

On a sidenote I disagree on the "factions being similar". While all pick from the same pool of traits their unique faction make executing winning strategies very different but in case you mean United Empire & Sheredyn yeah, "some" of the default factions have similarities true.

To that I replied:

So while using this mod I had to get a little creative. I increased the isolationist trait beacuse expansion disapproval wasn't necessary to me. Using the extra points I increased the production, and dust to compensate. In order to get resources I was forced to use military strength and diplomacy to create a enhance my army. I would slowly take out the smaller factions, beginning with the cravers and sell there systems the the highest bidder as well, using planetary trading as a huge benefit to my faction. All in all it was really fun, and took a lot of creativity in order to get what I needed to succeed. I also added the platform of the y's to my home planet as well as the efficient housing trait x3 (equivalent to the crowded planets trait) This allowed me to build up a significant population on a smaller system; 69 people in all, which allowed me to have larger siege ships, and a larger military in all.

While the gameplay was difficult, and required a good starting system, I was able to use my large diplomatic force to receive all of the resources, and become the large Marine based faction I have always wanted the Sheredyn to be.

Thank you so much for reading this, I've spent a lot of time fleshing this out, kinks and all.

Please take my ideas into consideration feel free to comment with your own additions to this idea.

The original steam discussion:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208140/discussions/0/611701999539723193/
0Send private message
9 years ago
Apr 9, 2015, 11:10:21 AM
It sounds doable.

Disabling starting ship is quite easy and you can just disable the colonization module completely. Nothing came up to my mind yet about disabling colonizing other planets in the star system. But I'm sure we would find a way.

After that all you need to do is to provide certain bonuses via tech.

Like +25 FIDS per Pop and %25 FIDS Bonus on Ecstatics and such, this could make the faction very powerful at early-mid game but falls off slowly late game.

I tried creating unique factions with unique affinities before it works absolutely. Only problem is AffinityMapping as always.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Apr 11, 2015, 5:03:11 PM
rockmassif wrote:
It sounds doable.

Disabling starting ship is quite easy and you can just disable the colonization module completely. Nothing came up to my mind yet about disabling colonizing other planets in the star system. But I'm sure we would find a way.

After that all you need to do is to provide certain bonuses via tech.

Like +25 FIDS per Pop and %25 FIDS Bonus on Ecstatics and such, this could make the faction very powerful at early-mid game but falls off slowly late game.

I tried creating unique factions with unique affinities before it works absolutely. Only problem is AffinityMapping as always.

Thanks,

I played with it with the sheredyn affinity, but I also played with a relatively militaristic play style. A faction like this would also need some serious bonuses as far as a way to acquire strategic resources. They would need to be very diplomatic or possibly a way to get resource through ships orbiting planets or something (kinda like the heroes dust leech or science leech ability). Maybe instead of a colonization ship, they could have a miner or planet tapper. Please tell me your opinions on this idea.

Thanks!!!
0Send private message
9 years ago
Apr 11, 2015, 5:30:41 PM
Acquiring through diplomatic ways doesn't really sound good. As you can easily be in a situation where you don't have any allies or they just won't trade at all. Resulting in no production, being death of you.

Miner sounds good, orbiting a planet with strategic resources grants you ability to harvest them. Thought I'm not really sure how to do that at all smiley: biggrin But honestly that's a really good idea and correct way to do it.

Sounds interesting in general, this kind of faction would definitely deserve a playthrough. But requires great balancing.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Apr 11, 2015, 10:06:36 PM
Hey, if you know how to mod I would be hugely appreciative if you created a way to try it.
0Send private message
9 years ago
Apr 16, 2015, 3:17:05 AM
I can put together some basic version of this but it requires a lot of balancing and a complete new tech tree. Not really sure I can do it alone.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment