Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

The (Mostly) Complete Guide to Faction Modding (and AT Candy Kingdom Faction!)

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Mar 16, 2013, 1:41:12 AM
Hey everyone!

I've been noticing on here several questions related to making custom factions and affinities. I don't blame people for not knowing, making a faction is a VERY involved process. As such, I decided to make a tutorial to go step-by-step through the process of creating a fully custom faction, complete with custom leaderheads, backgrounds, affinities and even ships! The faction I made was the Candy Kingdom from Adventure Time, but I tried to make it as general as possible while going through to make it easier for everyone to make their own! It also includes a tutorial on modular file loading interspersed throughout the text.

The ships I used come from Quaresma7's Sheredyn Ship Mod, which sadly has fallen off the internet. I had an older version, however, and included that as a resource for anyone who wants to practice making custom ships for their factions. All credit for these ships goes to Quaresma7. I also made sure to include all the files I made as resources as well, in case anyone needs a reference while modding.

You can download the tutorial and resource pack here: Download

Or, if you just want my Candy Kingdom faction, you can download that here: Download

To Install, just drop the "CandyKingdom" folder into your Documents/Endless Space/Modding folder. You can load the mod either in-game through the mod launcher or by adding "+mod CandyKingdom" to your steam launch settings (located in properties)

Pictures:

Race Screen

Ship Screen

If you have any questions, or find any mistakes, or want me to add something else to the guide, let me know in this thread! I'll try to address your concerns as best I can.

I look forward to seeing your guys new factions!

Version History:

v1.1: Fixed a rather embarrasing problem with Affinity Traits.

v1.0: Initial release

Credits:

• Amplitude Studios

• Quaresma7 for his work on the Sheredyn Ship Mod.

• Pendleton Ward for making Adventure Time and the Candy Kingdom.

• jamesyoung79 for his Sectoid mod, whose quest to figure out custom factions inspired me to make this tutorial in the first place.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 16, 2013, 3:59:57 AM
Hey there I was wondering if you could help me with moding a pre-existing faction's ships.

See using Quaresma7's sheredyn ship mod I was able to use his ship models to replace the models of the resistance faction.

I was wondering if it was possible to use that method to change the ships of say the Resistance to those of the Sophons.

The problem I have been having is finding the codes for the none so far have successfully worked

This is an example of the code line I wish to edit

Prefabs/Spaceships/Terran/SS_Terran_Large_A

Templates/Ships/Terran/CorellianBBBearbeitet
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 16, 2013, 6:06:50 AM
If you want to change the Pilgrim's ship models to the Sophons, then you don't need to mess with Custom ships as those models are already in game. You would need to change all the Resistance's hull entries in "CivilianShipDesign.xml", "ShipDesign.xml" and "TechnologyExpansion.xml." In the ShipDesign XMLs, go find each entry that has "ResistanceDesign" in it and in the Brackets, replace "Resistance" with "Sophon." Then go into TechnologyExpansion.xml, and search for each of the Pilgrims various ship-unlocking techs (a complete list is in my guide's Technology section) and in the first bracket replace "Resistance" with "Sophon" Now the Pilgrim's use Sophon ships!

If you want the Pilgrims to use the Sheredyn ships, the method is virtually unchanged, the only difference is that you have to define the ships in your index.xml, like this:

[CODE]

Prefabs/Spaceships/Terran/SS_Terran_Small_B

Templates/Ships/Terran/PinnanceBearbeitet

[/CODE]

The only thing that really changes is the bracket. The prefabs can't be changed and the models are stored in the directory they say they are, as OBJ files.

Hope this helps!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 16, 2013, 2:35:38 PM
Do you think it might be possible to change the line so that it redirects to the Sophon model? I have been trying that method unfortunately I do not know the proper pathway/code for the ship's model.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 16, 2013, 3:34:31 PM
It's theoretically possible but at this moment we (or at least I) don't know the codes for the vanilla models. It could very well be that they're all just "SS_Sophon_Small_A" and the like, but I dont know.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 19, 2013, 6:19:58 PM
AlexiaAtis, thank you for your amazing guide! It helped me a lot. Though it's a tad outdated now, it's still the best guide on the forums.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 22, 2013, 3:22:32 AM
Thanks! smiley: biggrin I'm glad i was able to help someone. I know its out of date, but I haven't really been int ES again until lately, and im kind of swamped with school -.- maybe on break ill be able to work on it a bit
0Send private message
11 years ago
Nov 22, 2013, 4:05:53 AM
AlexiaAtis wrote:
Thanks! smiley: biggrin I'm glad i was able to help someone. I know its out of date, but I haven't really been int ES again until lately, and im kind of swamped with school -.- maybe on break ill be able to work on it a bit

Maybe *if* Vicarious and I get this project of PANs working we could help you update it? He could help with Disharmony updating and I could write how to model and texture ships with Blender? (if Blender supports material baking by then, that is lol)
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment