Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

[IDEA] City renovation button for settlers and engineers

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Sep 28, 2022, 5:21:38 PM

The idea is to implement city renovation button for settlers and engineers instead of ransack the city and build a new one (and lost the whole population in the city). Perhaps also a way to retain a population in the city if you pay a small amount of influence? That would be a very good improvement and immersive significantly better.

It could looks like this :)

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 28, 2022, 5:30:46 PM

I'd even be happy with an "infrastructure project" that unlocks with each Colony Model/Plan/Blueprint/Grid; a sort of group infrastructure that you can build and it fills in the gaps of earlier era infrastructures.

Alternately, when you unlock Colony Model/Plan/Blueprint/Grid, it unlocks the empire ability of "Modify pre-[Medieval/ER/Industrial/Contemporary] infrastructure cost by -20%" (cumulative).

0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 28, 2022, 8:56:34 PM

I believe this should not be added, because it will cause huge imbalance in city gameplay. I mean, you will mostly build only quarters, as you know that in next era, all infrastructure will be build for zero cost. So, now this system is already convenient, as by the time you open colony model, you already have cities with enough production to build any infrastructure you need (and until that time you have to choose wisely what building fits your current strategy). And in new cities you don’t need to build anything old, so you can focus on districts and new infrastructure. The exploit with ransacking old city is usually punished as you mentioned with population reduce to zero, so I think it is better to keep as it is looks like now

0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 29, 2022, 2:31:44 AM
EsoulBoy wrote:
I mean, you will mostly build only quarters, as you know that in next era, all infrastructure will be build for zero cost.

You know, you're right.  It feels a bit slow having to build all that infrastructure, but it is fairly balanced.  Capturing/assimilating an Independent People's city sometimes feels a bit like cheating to get a free city; it feels natural to have to put some production and money to bring them up to the level of sophistication of your own empire. :P

0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 29, 2022, 7:34:04 AM

I don't like the idea of doing it with a button, but I wouldn't mind this tech unlocking a special project that groups up all the missing Infrastructure from previous era and allows to build it all at once at a discount.

That being said, I think either game got balanced better (for Endless speed I play on) or it was healthier to my playstyle to take those couple months of break, because this playthrough my city queues didn't lag pretty much all up until it was time to start railroad connections and National Parks (at which point any build order promptly went out of the window).

0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 29, 2022, 5:58:14 PM

The settlers in the game are something like unwanted gifts. They are there, but nobody knows what to do with them. They are too late in game to get the idea of founding new cities with them. There are so many better ways to found/conquer cities. 

This idea is there to improve the importance of settlers and to simplify the strange actions (see my first post). I think everyone can agree that the settlers are not properly developed and lots of potential has been lost. 

I do not mind if you have other ideas to improve the meaning of settlers. 

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 29, 2022, 6:31:14 PM

Actually, at the time they appear, you have to found new cities (as there new city caps appear), and assimilating/conquering city is not always an option, so it is okay with timing they appear. Talking about their purpose, they found city without using influence, which means you save influence by using production, or if you have many influence, and it is hard to bring there settler, then you can use colony plan. But can’t disagree, that I rarely build them… It is common for many units, I hope some of them will get new opportunities with new stealth system, but actually they could be more useful, if they add some peasants/militia to your new city, so if it was far away, then you can disband them or protect new territory from native independent people of that land. In such way it will be not only matter of choice between production or influence, but also some human resources above

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message