Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
a year ago
Oct 24, 2023, 6:52:30 AM

ok i had this idea since day one, personally i like the combat, its more about preplanning the battle then the battle itself however a lot of the early game and sometimes the mid game, you just get a ton of units and just throw them at the opponents, ie the mycenians, the pretorian guards, hoplites, mongol horde, (but at least that one makes sense) jaguar warriors, etc.

the problem does fix itself coming to the early modern era and above.
what i was thinking though is, what if there were great generals whom has specific bonus like
+2 to melee units while defending
or
+1 to all full strength units
or maybe
+1 to cavalry and + 1 to all cavalry charges.
this could become a problem for balancing however i think it would be cool to see some lesser or more known great generals of the time and to see battles have more thought put into them.
my idea would be just like wonders, there are a limited number of them and can only be bought with influence.
when they spawned they would be 1 of 2 things
either a: be their own unit that has their own stats, art, name, etc
or 2 have the same template as your culture's special unit but give a bonus.
these generals won't die in combat but will be sent to the capital and forced to stay there for an indetermined amount of turns
another idea i had is they would also provide a stability bonus to cities granting a celebrate on any city they are in while increasing garrison bonuses and unit stability bonuses
the final idea is maybe only militarists and expansionists could grab these units either exclusively or at a reduced cost however this could cost further problems with balance, thank you for reading my idea, have a good day

Updated 17 days ago.
0Send private message

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message0Send private message
a year ago
Oct 26, 2023, 3:12:59 AM

I like the idea, I just have one question, would generals persist through the ages? Or at the end of the era would they become history, being converted into points of glory perhaps? If they only last for one era, it wouldn't be a problem to capture foreign generals as it wouldn't snowball over the eras.

0Send private message
a year ago
Oct 26, 2023, 4:09:51 AM
Atens7 wrote:

I like the idea, I just have one question, would generals persist through the ages? Or at the end of the era would they become history, being converted into points of glory perhaps? If they only last for one era, it wouldn't be a problem to capture foreign generals as it wouldn't snowball over the eras.

i dunno that would have to depend on amptitude, they could go the civ 6 route where they have a charge and a passive bonus and they never die, and only disappear after expending all charges

what they could also do is take their previous hero mechanic from endless space 2 and do that but obvious different.
if it were me, it would be there is a set amount of generals per era but every culture has the chance to purchase 1 special general like alexander for the greeks
or tokugawa ieyasu for the edo japanese. and normal generals last through the entire game but those culture specific ones dissapear when changing culture.
also i like the idea of discarding a great general for fame, like literally become history or something.
my idea is a bit ambitious and also sounds like it could be a balance nightmare so just having great generals be like wonders would probably be better, with them disappearing when changing era, i think sega and amptitude could make more sense of this lol 

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
9 months ago
Dec 17, 2023, 7:39:10 PM

I would like the idea of limited heros/characters. So that they can make an impact where it matters rather than used everywhere. 

But I'd also like the idea of having generals and admirals to give boosts. 

Perhaps the boost effect also increases with experience. Perhaps experience should be attained from combat or placing the general in a city with a university or special district.

And actually why do armies not get more experience passively? It could add more depth to certain districts and building 

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment