Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Does anyone RP?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 3:41:58 PM
what is IRC? I have never heard of any of those things. I'm used to YIM, chat rooms, D&D style, no board, and PBP on forums, that's it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 10:01:41 AM
grimofnight wrote:
I would more than willingly like to put together a game for those who would want to do one online. Not really sure how we would do that. I figure if we get enough people together, we could go from there, seeing who all is interested, pick the setting and all that good jazz. Looking forward to it.

I’ve gamed via Skype before. It works well as long as everyone is using Skype; as soon as there are people involved that are face-to-face the Skypers tend to feel sidelined IME. I’ve also gamed online via IRC which can also work if set up sensibly, and from within the framework of a modified multiplayer computer game, e.g., Neverwinter Nights 2 persistent worlds (w/ Human DMs), although that clearly only lends itself to DnD games and usually requires a whole team of people to build the world in the first place but my god it’s impressive when it all comes together well.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 12:05:19 PM
defekt wrote:
I’ve gamed via Skype before. It works well as long as everyone is using Skype; as soon as there are people involved that are face-to-face the Skypers tend to feel sidelined IME. I’ve also gamed online via IRC which can also work if set up sensibly, and from within the framework of a modified multiplayer computer game, e.g., Neverwinter Nights 2 persistent worlds (w/ Human DMs), although that clearly only lends itself to DnD games and usually requires a whole team of people to build the world in the first place but my god it’s impressive when it all comes together well.

Play-by-post works as well, people just have to be okay with the fact that, naturally, the game will move along a bit more slowly, although the trade-off is hopefully consistency as not everyone has to be around at once to play.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 1:08:29 PM
Okay, for the third time tryin' to post this damn msg. I found a website that will allow us to RP any type we wish. I don't have headphones or anything like that for Skype. Plus the system i'm on only supports 2Mb's between 20 people, do the math, ain't a lot of bandwidth. So this website will allow us to do pretty much whatever RP we wanted to do and I would love to put a game together. I honestly have no want to be a GM but can help him/her out if need be to create a world or types of characters and all that. Or we could make a new thread and do it on here if ya'll liked. I'd like to have at the minimum 5 characters but we'll see what happens.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 1:16:27 PM
Which website is this? Wouldn't mind having a shufty just to see the kind of tools that they offer.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 1:21:17 PM
grimofnight wrote:
Okay, for the third time tryin' to post this damn msg. I found a website that will allow us to RP any type we wish. I don't have headphones or anything like that for Skype. Plus the system i'm on only supports 2Mb's between 20 people, do the math, ain't a lot of bandwidth. So this website will allow us to do pretty much whatever RP we wanted to do and I would love to put a game together. I honestly have no want to be a GM but can help him/her out if need be to create a world or types of characters and all that. Or we could make a new thread and do it on here if ya'll liked. I'd like to have at the minimum 5 characters but we'll see what happens.

Yeah, feel free to post the website. And if no one else would want to GM, I could, though I will admit I'm still fairly new at it. Although, depending on how the site works, I'm still temped to say a separate thread (probably on the group page), to play it out by posts would be easier, considering of those who have shown interest, we span a fair range of timezones.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 3:34:40 PM
Oh right, it's just a forum. I was expecting private session-style/IRC client tools, whiteboards, resource display panes and what have you.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 3:41:06 PM
Hmm...

It'd be up to the other players should this get going, but I'd recommend keeping it on these forums. Either here in Off Topic, or in the group, simply to cut out the hassle of needing to register on a new site, go through their process, and so on and so forth.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 9:52:56 AM
I would more than willingly like to put together a game for those who would want to do one online. Not really sure how we would do that. I figure if we get enough people together, we could go from there, seeing who all is interested, pick the setting and all that good jazz. Looking forward to it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 3:46:08 PM
Internet Relay Chat. I never used it myself, but it seems to be a slightly more sophisticated IM service, allowing a group to do things, while allowing individuals to privately message each other as well without the need for opening separate chat windows, as I in my experience most IM services like YIM, AIM, MSN, and so on would require.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 4:07:59 PM
Ahh. I see. I'll wait a few days to see what you guys come up with, if ya'll come up with anything to get an RP started.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 4:36:26 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
Internet Relay Chat. I never used it myself, but it seems to be a slightly more sophisticated IM service, allowing a group to do things, while allowing individuals to privately message each other as well without the need for opening separate chat windows, as I in my experience most IM services like YIM, AIM, MSN, and so on would require.

The downside, though, is that it requires a lot more effort on the user part, including learning the chat commands, getting a server, settin up a channel, issuing rights... smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 5:08:37 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
The downside, though, is that it requires a lot more effort on the user part, including learning the chat commands, getting a server, settin up a channel, issuing rights... smiley: wink

I figured as much. That's why I've stuck almost entirely to forum PBP and playing in person. PBP let's me be all creative at my own pace, while in person let's me torment my friends with the spur of the moment witticisms my dick-ish rogue tortures them with. smiley: twisted
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 2:08:38 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Well RP does cover a wide range of things from daydreaming to RP gaming to more mature things...

Mmm...mature things... *cough*

I role play. I'm involved in at least two table-top-over-VOIP games currently. I also do a bit of light rp over instant messenger with friends, nothing serious.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 2:12:03 PM
Draco18s wrote:
Mmm...mature things... *cough*

I role play. I'm involved in at least two table-top-over-VOIP games currently. I also do a bit of light rp over instant messenger with friends, nothing serious.

Would you be interested in one here on the site? A few of us are interested in seeing is something might be possible to get going (I think just me, Nos, and grim so far). Or or two more people would probably be enough that what we'd actually do could be figured out.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 4:37:39 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
Would you be interested in one here on the site? A few of us are interested in seeing is something might be possible to get going (I think just me, Nos, and grim so far). Or or two more people would probably be enough that what we'd actually do could be figured out.

I could get behind a play-by-post, potentially.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 5:29:53 PM
Draco18s wrote:
I could get behind a play-by-post, potentially.

Alright. I might as well start a discussion in the group, then, to see if something can be worked out.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 23, 2012, 7:19:33 AM
Ya know, I haven' t don't the Multi-player thing, but what would be quite fun. Is to grab a group of people or just one friend, create a large game and while we're playing, create an RP either based on whats actually happening, move per move, or just playing the game and rp'ing via a sci-fi story. That would be interesting, i'm sure. If anyone would be up for that, that would be awesome, although I do need a little help figuring what all does what in-game, yes i've read the tips and things that help, but i'm still kinda lost.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 22, 2012, 5:08:52 PM
Does not being able to sleep because I constantly fantasise about my rise to power count?
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 22, 2012, 5:29:29 PM
InFlamesWeTrust wrote:
Does not being able to sleep because I constantly fantasise about my rise to power count?

Yes, I too do that.

adder wrote:
Sorry but, what do you mean by "RP"? smiley: embarassement

Role Play.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 22, 2012, 5:34:04 PM
ah role play smiley: smile

I sometime fantasize myself as the "leader" of a country or a big company and how I would make the perfect society without anger and hate, racism,...

But there never really is a story line, so probably that doesn't count as role play?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 22, 2012, 5:49:54 PM
I'm not talkin' 'bout a fantasy. I'm talkin' 'bout telling a story with friends. Involving and immersing yourself in a story that you yourself, would like to read, not just read but be apart of it. Take a MMORPG or even simpler a RPG for example. When you play that game, you design that character to what you like, his abilities and the like. Now take all of the graphics, the sounds, everything, take it out and simply put it in Txt form. Where, you explain what you see, hear, taste, smell and do. Back to basics, like an imagination that others can take part in and develop the idea. It's like a game developer. He has an idea, he collects people with similar interests and talks it over, giving it life, making it his own, but sharing it to improve and refine the rough edges, until they basically create the game. That is Role Playing. Dungeons and Dragons is the easiest example of this.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 22, 2012, 5:51:26 PM
Well most of the time I skip the beginning and just randomly have power, lots of power, power over everything (I mean ability wise not as in leadership or dictatorship) and then I go round have some fun, blow some shit up and by that time I usually fall asleep. This generally repeats every night, its like a bedtime story lol
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 23, 2012, 5:56:57 AM
Wow. Must be a bunch of kids who are replying to this thread.

I'd like answer postively that yes, I do Role-play. (And yes, there are many many other roleplaying games besides 'Fatnasy' D&D). In fact, I do Rogue Trader, which is one of the many Warhammer 40K RPs. (No, not the tabletop battle rubbish, actual 'characters' in the universe.) And I dabble in Serenity, Dragon Age (yes there's an RP game for it, not just the computer ones.), and Star Wars Saga Edition. And of course Pathfinder.

One of the detractors of Endless Space is that I don't exactly have a character to RP with. Yes, one could imagine that being the leader of your colonies is good enough, but there's no chance to that in a game that's noting more then numbers and pictures. But you know, I'd be keen to add to the backstory of this game, by adding 'characters' to it. And not just heroes, but I mean the everyday people of our Empires.

What is the military system like in the UE for example? Are there officers manning the ships and enlisted ratings doing the hard work? Does the politicking matter in how I'm selecting which planets are working on what? Who are my planetary governors? Who runs and works at the new space elevetor I just created on Aldeberan III?

That's roleplaying. It's looking beyond bland game stats and imagining the people in the game universe. And giving them a sense of life. People aren't static and neither are characters.

It's one of the reasons I stay away from 'competitve' games. Players these days (especially the younger gits who don't know what a GM or rolling up a character REALLY means. We use actual dice.) don't connect with anything but themselves, even if they reckon they are playing an RPG game (Say Skyrim for example), I reckon they only see their 'toon' as something to make uber powerful, and don't actually make a character with actions and decions based on the concept behind a unique person that isn't them.

Er, right. Looking up I've been ranting. smiley: frown Apologies. Um, but I'm still an advocate for good old RP (which has nothing to do with Yanks attempting to speak like fake old English people who actually never spoke like that anyways.) and bringing some spark of it into computer games. So yes, I RP.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 23, 2012, 6:06:45 AM
Well RP does cover a wide range of things from daydreaming to RP gaming to more mature things...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 22, 2012, 1:46:54 PM
It's a simple question and I really wanted to know. Does anyone RP anymore, if you do, what is your favorite type and how often do you like to RP? As a person with an overactive imagination, I tend let my mind wander quite often and find my head filled with all sorts of ideas, story lines, plots, places, characters, items, and all sorts of various things. I'm quite fond of Medival/Fantasy. Grew up RP'ing Fantasy, very few Sci-Fi and a handful of Modern/Fantasy. So if you have any RP's that you really enjoyed, including board games with friends such as D&D. Please do tell of the adventure you had, the plot, type of characters and all and what really made it so much fun and what got you into RPing in the first place.

For me, I basically grew up on the YIM chat rooms, if anyone remembers those before Yahoo took them all out and ruined the fun. I RP'ed almost daily for 2yrs and consider myself a decent roleplayer and never miss a chance to jump into one if I get a chance and if I like it. I don't prefer to do post by post RP, since it tends to be very slow and boring, with little direction most times. So, lets have it. What say you all?

My apologies to anyone that looked at this and could not figure out what RP stands for. RP= Role Playing. Basically you play as a character, designing what he does, his faults, his strengths, his abilities, the way he "looks and every detail down to the last little T. I don't know of any Role Playing that allows you to play by yourself... didn't come out right.... ANYWAYS... Generally you talk to someone who is interested in Role Playing, creating his or her character and you figure out a story line, a plot and basically the skeleton to body of the Plot (if anyone followed that).

The theme may be Fantasy, Medieval, Modern, Science Fiction, or any of them thrown together. Most popular is usually Medieval/Fantasy from what i've come across anyways. If you have any more questions, please do.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 23, 2012, 12:34:02 PM
grimofnight wrote:
Ya know, I haven' t don't the Multi-player thing, but what would be quite fun. Is to grab a group of people or just one friend, create a large game and while we're playing, create an RP either based on whats actually happening, move per move, or just playing the game and rp'ing via a sci-fi story. That would be interesting, i'm sure. If anyone would be up for that, that would be awesome, although I do need a little help figuring what all does what in-game, yes i've read the tips and things that help, but i'm still kinda lost.

That would be interesting...I RP as well, just finished up a small campaign over the weekend, actually. D&D 4e (to my chagrin), but it still managed to be fun.

Btw, grimofknight and Solardream, there's a community group for people who enjoy table-top and other RPing systems, if you want to join. It's fairly dead, actually, but that can always be changed as more people who are active pop in.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 23, 2012, 2:57:05 PM
Harpee!

Contemporary / Modern fairytales (e.g., Dresden Files) or period horror (Cthulhu) usually. That having been said I’m currently in a DnD game (Neverwinter Nights 2 persistent world) and a Mutant City Blues table-top game so clearly I’ll play whatever is being offered.

On a Wednesday the gf and I often bring out the ch--[**EDIT**]
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 4:25:11 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
Btw, grimofknight and Solardream, there's a community group for people who enjoy table-top and other RPing systems, if you want to join. It's fairly dead, actually, but that can always be changed as more people who are active pop in.

Where? And what's the name of it?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 24, 2012, 5:39:00 PM
Yes I roleplay quite a lot. A tthe moment I am running a game of Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition with my kids and have a Traveller game on the backburner. I have all the D&D 4e Essentials stuff but my main liking is for Traveller which I got in the 1980s and now lately I am playing Mongoose's version of traveller which is a more complete updated version of the old classic black box set I had as a kid (and have still got):

/#/games2gether/forum/1-off-topic/thread/124-any-traveller-rpg-fans-here
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 12:15:20 AM
You guys are bringing back so many good memories. My nickname Armid comes from the 9 years old me trying to find a name for his mage and ending up mixing the letters for Tuesday in French: Mardi. It kind of stuck.

Nowadays I only RP in video games, as nobody I know really have the time to put into it. I doubt I'd have it myself, thinking about it... smiley: embarassement
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment