Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Does anyone RP?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 3:41:58 PM
what is IRC? I have never heard of any of those things. I'm used to YIM, chat rooms, D&D style, no board, and PBP on forums, that's it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 10:01:41 AM
grimofnight wrote:
I would more than willingly like to put together a game for those who would want to do one online. Not really sure how we would do that. I figure if we get enough people together, we could go from there, seeing who all is interested, pick the setting and all that good jazz. Looking forward to it.

I’ve gamed via Skype before. It works well as long as everyone is using Skype; as soon as there are people involved that are face-to-face the Skypers tend to feel sidelined IME. I’ve also gamed online via IRC which can also work if set up sensibly, and from within the framework of a modified multiplayer computer game, e.g., Neverwinter Nights 2 persistent worlds (w/ Human DMs), although that clearly only lends itself to DnD games and usually requires a whole team of people to build the world in the first place but my god it’s impressive when it all comes together well.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 12:05:19 PM
defekt wrote:
I’ve gamed via Skype before. It works well as long as everyone is using Skype; as soon as there are people involved that are face-to-face the Skypers tend to feel sidelined IME. I’ve also gamed online via IRC which can also work if set up sensibly, and from within the framework of a modified multiplayer computer game, e.g., Neverwinter Nights 2 persistent worlds (w/ Human DMs), although that clearly only lends itself to DnD games and usually requires a whole team of people to build the world in the first place but my god it’s impressive when it all comes together well.

Play-by-post works as well, people just have to be okay with the fact that, naturally, the game will move along a bit more slowly, although the trade-off is hopefully consistency as not everyone has to be around at once to play.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 1:08:29 PM
Okay, for the third time tryin' to post this damn msg. I found a website that will allow us to RP any type we wish. I don't have headphones or anything like that for Skype. Plus the system i'm on only supports 2Mb's between 20 people, do the math, ain't a lot of bandwidth. So this website will allow us to do pretty much whatever RP we wanted to do and I would love to put a game together. I honestly have no want to be a GM but can help him/her out if need be to create a world or types of characters and all that. Or we could make a new thread and do it on here if ya'll liked. I'd like to have at the minimum 5 characters but we'll see what happens.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 1:16:27 PM
Which website is this? Wouldn't mind having a shufty just to see the kind of tools that they offer.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 1:21:17 PM
grimofnight wrote:
Okay, for the third time tryin' to post this damn msg. I found a website that will allow us to RP any type we wish. I don't have headphones or anything like that for Skype. Plus the system i'm on only supports 2Mb's between 20 people, do the math, ain't a lot of bandwidth. So this website will allow us to do pretty much whatever RP we wanted to do and I would love to put a game together. I honestly have no want to be a GM but can help him/her out if need be to create a world or types of characters and all that. Or we could make a new thread and do it on here if ya'll liked. I'd like to have at the minimum 5 characters but we'll see what happens.

Yeah, feel free to post the website. And if no one else would want to GM, I could, though I will admit I'm still fairly new at it. Although, depending on how the site works, I'm still temped to say a separate thread (probably on the group page), to play it out by posts would be easier, considering of those who have shown interest, we span a fair range of timezones.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 3:34:40 PM
Oh right, it's just a forum. I was expecting private session-style/IRC client tools, whiteboards, resource display panes and what have you.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 3:41:06 PM
Hmm...

It'd be up to the other players should this get going, but I'd recommend keeping it on these forums. Either here in Off Topic, or in the group, simply to cut out the hassle of needing to register on a new site, go through their process, and so on and so forth.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 9:52:56 AM
I would more than willingly like to put together a game for those who would want to do one online. Not really sure how we would do that. I figure if we get enough people together, we could go from there, seeing who all is interested, pick the setting and all that good jazz. Looking forward to it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 3:46:08 PM
Internet Relay Chat. I never used it myself, but it seems to be a slightly more sophisticated IM service, allowing a group to do things, while allowing individuals to privately message each other as well without the need for opening separate chat windows, as I in my experience most IM services like YIM, AIM, MSN, and so on would require.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 4:07:59 PM
Ahh. I see. I'll wait a few days to see what you guys come up with, if ya'll come up with anything to get an RP started.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 4:36:26 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
Internet Relay Chat. I never used it myself, but it seems to be a slightly more sophisticated IM service, allowing a group to do things, while allowing individuals to privately message each other as well without the need for opening separate chat windows, as I in my experience most IM services like YIM, AIM, MSN, and so on would require.

The downside, though, is that it requires a lot more effort on the user part, including learning the chat commands, getting a server, settin up a channel, issuing rights... smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 5:08:37 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
The downside, though, is that it requires a lot more effort on the user part, including learning the chat commands, getting a server, settin up a channel, issuing rights... smiley: wink

I figured as much. That's why I've stuck almost entirely to forum PBP and playing in person. PBP let's me be all creative at my own pace, while in person let's me torment my friends with the spur of the moment witticisms my dick-ish rogue tortures them with. smiley: twisted
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 2:08:38 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Well RP does cover a wide range of things from daydreaming to RP gaming to more mature things...

Mmm...mature things... *cough*

I role play. I'm involved in at least two table-top-over-VOIP games currently. I also do a bit of light rp over instant messenger with friends, nothing serious.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 2:12:03 PM
Draco18s wrote:
Mmm...mature things... *cough*

I role play. I'm involved in at least two table-top-over-VOIP games currently. I also do a bit of light rp over instant messenger with friends, nothing serious.

Would you be interested in one here on the site? A few of us are interested in seeing is something might be possible to get going (I think just me, Nos, and grim so far). Or or two more people would probably be enough that what we'd actually do could be figured out.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 4:37:39 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
Would you be interested in one here on the site? A few of us are interested in seeing is something might be possible to get going (I think just me, Nos, and grim so far). Or or two more people would probably be enough that what we'd actually do could be figured out.

I could get behind a play-by-post, potentially.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 26, 2012, 5:29:53 PM
Draco18s wrote:
I could get behind a play-by-post, potentially.

Alright. I might as well start a discussion in the group, then, to see if something can be worked out.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 23, 2012, 7:19:33 AM
Ya know, I haven' t don't the Multi-player thing, but what would be quite fun. Is to grab a group of people or just one friend, create a large game and while we're playing, create an RP either based on whats actually happening, move per move, or just playing the game and rp'ing via a sci-fi story. That would be interesting, i'm sure. If anyone would be up for that, that would be awesome, although I do need a little help figuring what all does what in-game, yes i've read the tips and things that help, but i'm still kinda lost.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 22, 2012, 5:08:52 PM
Does not being able to sleep because I constantly fantasise about my rise to power count?
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment