Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

What was your first Space 4x game?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 25, 2012, 4:55:42 PM
MOO 1.

I probably shortened my life by at least 5 years thanks to lack of sleep brought on by playing it and its sequel.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 27, 2012, 1:30:18 PM
Star Control I! Which had several 4x-ish scenarios.

I also vaguely recall playing Master of Orion I and II a bit. I enjoyed both but never got into because I decided I'd wait for the by then announced sequel, Master of Orion 3. I still have that digital vomit lying around somewhere but it put of off 4x Space gaming for a very long time.

The game that hooked me (again) was GalCiv 2.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 2, 2012, 1:25:50 AM
MOO2, i still play it today, and still wonder why no developer since has emulated the Tech tree where you cant get all techs and have to make very difficult desicions, should i guess its not a popular feature among gamers?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 2, 2012, 9:39:38 AM
MysteryOne wrote:
'AI War: Fleet Command' with it's dlc/expansions. Now, it's this too. smiley: smile

I drew some of the planets for that game, and the Riot class starships plus a few others. Not a bad game overall; it had some rather intriguing concepts. It's a shame that the art direction was so- non-directed; they needed to pick an art style and stick with it rather than end up with a confused smorgasbord of aesthetics.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 2, 2012, 9:45:50 AM
Kragge wrote:
MOO2, i still play it today, and still wonder why no developer since has emulated the Tech tree where you cant get all techs and have to make very difficult desicions, should i guess its not a popular feature among gamers?

I loved that and SotS did it too. It's one of the simplest mechanics to help give a game some replayability; it forces you to try something new when a missing tech shoves you out of your comfort zone. As long as the missing tech is obtainable via other means, i.e., reverse-engineering or diplomacy, then such a mechanic can add a great deal to a game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 3, 2012, 1:45:48 AM
Master of Orion. The Original one, but the second one holds a very special place in my heart.

God I loved that game... And then the 3rd one ruined it...
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 4, 2012, 1:45:05 AM
Star Control followed by Master of Orion I think. Though I've played many over the years. I also love Ascendacy (still play it on my ipad/ipod touch).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 7, 2012, 12:27:57 PM
That was mine too!

naren_93 wrote:
Mine was Space Empires gold IV .... anyone heard of it ?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 8, 2012, 2:25:37 PM
naren_93 wrote:
Mine was Space Empires gold IV .... anyone heard of it ?

Yes I played that game quite a lot. But in the end the mine laying at the wormholes got a bit wearing for me. I like ES more.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 12, 2012, 11:56:03 PM
It was the first Civilization game that came out way back in 1991. The original Master of Orion has always left me with fond memories.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 10:54:47 AM
Master of Orion - ??? - Ascendancy - Master of Orion 2 - (Master of Orion 3) - Galactic Civilizations 2

The ??? stand for a Windows 95 game whose name I have forgotten. It came in a huge white box and had few graphics, but was heavy on data screens. I still remember it because it had some unique features (building asteroid fields for defense around star systems). Funny I forgot the name after having played it for a while back then.

To me, the best of them were MoO 2 and GalCiv 2 (Twilight of the Arnor).
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 14, 2012, 8:15:23 PM
Master of Orion II! Still play it! Go Darloks! Spy on ALL the things! Weeee!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 1:50:24 AM
Master of Orion for me too! Was hooked on that game for a long time then Master of Orion2 came out and then I really found out that I was really addicted! I thought MOO3 pretty much sucked. Since then it's been Civilization time until Endless came out.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment