Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

What was your first Space 4x game?

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 5:27:26 PM
Morgian wrote:
Master of Orion - ??? - Ascendancy - Master of Orion 2 - (Master of Orion 3) - Galactic Civilizations 2

The ??? stand for a Windows 95 game whose name I have forgotten. It came in a huge white box and had few graphics, but was heavy on data screens. I still remember it because it had some unique features (building asteroid fields for defense around star systems). Funny I forgot the name after having played it for a while back then.

To me, the best of them were MoO 2 and GalCiv 2 (Twilight of the Arnor).

Was it Stars! ? That came in a big white box and had rubbish graphics - triangles for ships etc. But it had the best space 4x gameplay ever. Once of the races allowed you to create minefields around your systems.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 26, 2012, 11:23:57 AM
Master of Orion 2 was the first, then quickly came Imperium Galactica I, II and Space Empire IV. Then played two french browser-based games "LifeQuest", and "Oceane". I have tried other games : Master of Orion III (must try it again), Galactic Civ I and II (II is ok, but I am not a fan) ; Haegemonia (disappointed), and I still have 3 others still untested.

But none can beat Master of Orion 2 and Imperium Galactica II (I loved that game for the music, for the story, for the epicness, and I really want to play it again...)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 29, 2012, 7:30:47 PM
Moo2, didn't really get the nostalgia with me, but still enjoyed it.

The second one i played and liked was SotSI, SotSII was a horrible fail that shouldn't be spoken of until they fix it completely.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 29, 2012, 8:40:33 PM
Master of Orion III > Galactic Civilizations > Galactic Civilizations II > Space Empires V > Endless Space

That is about how it went, I dabbled in a few others along the way, but never really played them much.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 2, 2012, 5:41:47 AM
I'm real old school. I started with VGA Planets by Tim Wisseman on Dos. It was a multi player game played over a BBS "Bulletin Board System". It was a PBEM " play by email" game each player sending in a turn and then the host processing the turns simultaneously. This was done before the internet became the world wide phenomenon it is now. I used a 56K modem over a dedicated line and believe it or not people are still playing it. Currently in its 5th reincarnation. Ah brings back memories. smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 3, 2012, 7:04:55 PM
Insolentius wrote:
Alpha Centauri... I think.

I remember having played this game a couple of times. How does the AI compare to other 4x games? I've read that it is not that good actually, but perhaps I am mistaken.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 3, 2012, 7:19:12 PM
GJDriessen wrote:
I remember having played this game a couple of times. How does the AI compare to other 4x games? I've read that it is not that good actually, but perhaps I am mistaken.

All 4x games have terrible AI smiley: stickouttongue Alpha centauri is incredible game though, well worth playing. I still play it to this day now and again. Have it in a windows xp virtual machine.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 3, 2012, 11:14:33 PM
It was Endless Space! smiley: biggrin

Edit: But the first turn based game I played was Medieval II: Total War.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 4, 2012, 4:11:12 PM
My first one was Stars! Still love that one. In my opinion, no 4X game since came close to the fun one could have with Stars! Especially since most of the newer games tend to be much less complex, which makes replaying a bit boring after a while - but I guess this is a general problem, since the casual gamer has become the main target group for most companies.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 5, 2012, 6:26:40 AM
Master of Orion 2, however I can thank Star Control 2 for hooking me to the space setting, otherwise I would have stuck to heroes of might and magic for turn based game.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 25, 2012, 7:32:10 AM
Sterne wie Staub, a game for the C64 by a small German developer (would be called an "Indie" today), probably never released outside of Germany.

My first 4X space game someone else might actually know smiley: wink was Imperium
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 25, 2012, 9:32:24 PM
Well to be honest, i started 2 4X games at the same time: ES (ofc.) and Armada 2526
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 25, 2012, 10:09:59 PM
Tredecim wrote:
Well to be honest, i started 2 4X games at the same time: ES (ofc.) and Armada 2526

Armada is a awesome game, my computer just don´t runs it well. T__T
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 25, 2012, 4:54:55 AM
Civilization 1, back in the early 90th. Mmhh...seems like I'm getting old... -_-
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment