Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

New Laptop needed, Ideas welcome!

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 6:32:41 PM
Oh, if average graphics are fine for you then you shouldn't have trouble finding something that suits you in that price range (unless you want something under 15").

Just search for one with a powerful graphic card (more graphic memory doesn't necessarily mean the graphic card is powerful).

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html

Watch out for the double graphic card laptops (most of them are nowadays) : they last longer on battery, but you might have compatibility problems with some games (and linux!).

Also remember that the more pixels your screen has, the harder it will be for your graphic card to display. Watch out for shiny screens (which most of the laptops come with) : they make almost impossible to use the laptop with your back to a window or even with a overhead light sometimes.

For the processor, an i7 is overkill for most of the games, but you can afford it and it should help with the 3D modeling.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 12:00:08 PM
You forgot the probably most important requirement : what screen size?

Also, I'm not sure that "Gaming (latest stuff)" and 1000€-1500€ price range are compatible, that is if you really want to do things like run Crysis 2 (post-patch) on max settings.

And since you can afford it, why not get an SDD (+ an external hard disk for storage)? I heard this gives an impressive performance boost (especially when compared to a 5400rpm disk laptops tend to have).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 12:01:57 PM
I would recommend a desktop for gaming (2gb of graphics on a laptop? wtf!) and buy cheap laptop.

something like that: Buy a 1500 euro desktop and a 500 euros laptop, it would be more than sufficient. if you choose well, you can play ES on both of them! xD
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 12:07:24 PM
Indeed. Gaming and laptops don't go well together, so I'd recommend against a gaming laptop unless a gaming desktop can't work in your situation.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 2:13:28 PM
Thanks for your replies!

The Problem is, I will be changing place often - so desktop is not an option (unfortunatly) - thats why I want/need an Laptop.

I want as much power as possible - inside this Laptop smiley: biggrin (I don't have to run games on Ultra-Settings - but normal settings should be running "fine" )

ps: my current screen size is 1366 x 768
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 3:16:13 PM
So, try getone of the Alienware laptops or build one youself, usually is cheaper this way.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 3:53:37 PM
With that big of a budget, I'd say go for two desktops.

Laptops are not built for gaming - end of line.

They overheat, they need a power outlet, the monitor is small, the keyboard lacks numpad (unless you go 15" or above), the performance is horrid even if you get one with a dedicated graphics card, and they wear down faster than desktop machines (due to all the moving) - not to mention you'll have no way of keeping the hardware up to date)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 4:34:32 PM
Mansen wrote:
With that big of a budget, I'd say go for two desktops.

Laptops are not built for gaming - end of line.

They overheat, they need a power outlet, the monitor is small, the keyboard lacks numpad (unless you go 15" or above), the performance is horrid even if you get one with a dedicated graphics card, and they wear down faster than desktop machines (due to all the moving) - not to mention you'll have no way of keeping the hardware up to date)

Agreed, even though I have managed pretty well with my laptop, it helps that most of what I play are strategy games, probably the most intense game that I currently play is Skyrim.

My laptop is a Qosmio X775 - Q7384, if you want to check into that line of laptops. Just beware of the throttling issue because of the BIOS, even though the latest BIOS seems to fix that issue for the most part, as far as I can tell.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 4:37:26 PM
ZZGashi wrote:
Agreed, even though I have managed pretty well with my laptop, it helps that most of what I play are strategy games, probably the most intense game that I currently play is Skyrim.

My laptop is a Qosmio X775 - Q7384, if you want to check into that line of laptops. Just beware of the throttling issue because of the BIOS, even though the latest BIOS seems to fix that issue for the most part, as far as I can tell.

See on the good side, at least you can play ES on a laptop! xD
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 5:01:11 PM
Okay thanks for new voices in here - I know that Laptops are not "made for Gaming" but as I'm on the move a lot, a Desktop is not an option - currently im thinking of an Asus Gaming Laptop or an "built-by-profis" Laptop (better hardware than the most "usual" Laptops and a bit more expensive).

My current, 3 years old Laptop, an Asus KD50 with just 4 GB RAM and 512MB Graphics was still able to play Skyrim/WoW (rather fluently) - but now I got a GW2 Key as present and tried it - my PC is able to handle it, but it's way too laggy.

Now, my Keyboard is falling apart, (X already missing, Space only works from time to time), RAM is having some issues already, CD/DVD isn't working anymore,etc. -> i'm looking for a new one.

I'll keep looking smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 8:29:21 AM
Okay, guys: the more opinions the better!

My current Laptops are both close to death - i need a new one.

My "personal" requirements would be: 8GB RAM, ~2GB Graphics, 500GB or 1TB HDD.

Use of the Laptop: Work (Word, Excel, PPT, etc), Gaming (latest stuff) & 3D Rendering/Modelling

Price: up to 2000€ maximum (prefered cheaper, like 1000 to 1500€)

I have been thinking of several Laptops - Asus, custom build from some PC stores, Alienware, etc.

So what do you recommend/suggest? smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 6:38:04 PM
BlueTemplar wrote:
Oh, if average graphics are fine for you then you shouldn't have trouble finding something that suits you in that price range (unless you want something under 15").

Just search for one with a powerful graphic card (more graphic memory doesn't necessarily mean the graphic card is powerful). Watch out for the double graphic card laptops (most of them are nowadays) : they last longer on battery, but you might have compatibility problems with some games (and linux!).

Also remember that the more pixels your screen has, the harder it will be for your graphic card to display. Watch out for shiny screens (which most of the laptops come with) : they make almost impossible to use the laptop with your back to a window or even with a overhead light sometimes.

For the processor, an i7 is overkill for most of the games, but you can afford it and it should help with the 3D modeling.

Thanks for the nice tips - I'll keep them in mind smiley: smile

Thank god there are already some anti-reflecting screens smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 7:48:21 PM
BlueTemplar wrote:
Just the old matte screens or a new screen technology?

New technology, i think - but not sure about it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 9:00:38 PM
Yeah since Intel started putting their graphics cards (hah!) into every Sandy Core processor, laptops almost always have the "power saving" options. If you go Intel of course (and why wouldn't you these days...)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 9:09:01 PM
Personally i recommend AMD processors of Intel ones.

Theya re cheaper and more effiecient. better cost-benefit. =D
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 9:30:38 PM
Madrox wrote:
Personally i recommend AMD processors of Intel ones.

Theya re cheaper and more effiecient. better cost-benefit. =D

I'm happy with both (got a AMD now) smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 9:59:43 PM
I thought Intel completely outclassed AMD with their new line of "core" processors, especially on laptops because of power efficiency?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 10:01:13 PM
BlueTemplar wrote:
I thought Intel completely outclassed AMD with their new line of "core" processors, especially on laptops because of power efficiency?

I heard similar stuff, I will keep an eye for it, when compairing all my collected "possibly-next-Laptops" smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment