Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Endless Space Forum RP [Recruitment]

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Aug 26, 2016, 1:30:49 PM
Alien@System wrote:
Zennock wrote:

I must excuse myself for being picky but it just feels too linear and boring. I would like to experiment with different concepts. But if you wish, I'll make up a new bio. Interestingly, the robot is a Vaulter hero.  Might have a connection with your own hero. 

Let me say in advance that I'm not trying to criticize you, but I find that a strange thing to say. The mechanical life-forms of Endless Space aren't particularly boring, and I think especially if you want to play a character somewhat morbidly fascinated with biological anatomy and somewhat unhinged from normal morality, a robot isn't a particularly bad fit.

You probably didn't consider the difference between a human and a human consciousness uploaded into a robot to be that significant, and just something you suggested to keep your original concept while getting a nice picture. However, both from the point of a GM having to approve characters as well as from the storytelling perspective, it's a rather big difference. For one, just by looking at the position of the brain-uploading tech in the research tree as well as the fact that this very topic caused the extinction of the Endless tells you just how significant such a thing would be.

And secondly, for the approving process, it's opening the flood gates. There's fourteen species on the list that I'm approving without much thought. If I let one person play as a special snowflake of something not on the list, the next person might attempt the same thing, too. I think it should be possible to realize every character concept with what's available. In fact, if you hadn't chosen the Opbot portrait, we wouldn't have had this argument.

I hope this didn't come across like too much of a rant. I'm very happy to have you on board.

Alright mate, I don't mind what you said. Hell, I might even agree on you on some parts. Lemme expand on why I think playing as a robot is "linear". I used to be in plenty of "light-hearted" RPs with my friends. I've tried plenty of characters and because of that I just want to play a character that's as basic as I can be. Not a robot, not a succubus, not a fishman, but just a human character that tries to be as normal as possible but with some interesting backstories/personality. 

About the portrait,  welp. The first thing I thought of when I saw the OpBot was the engineer from Dead Space. I thought I just needed a avatar from the game and none of the backstories/looks matter.

If I'm being too much of a bother. I really am sorry. I'm not too used to "serious" roleplays yet (Notice the "light-hearted" before RP) and I'm taking time to adjust. If I am being too much of a annoyance, please call out on my behavior and I'll try to improve or if you want to, ask me to leave the RP. I don't want to be a liability to anybody. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 26, 2016, 2:12:53 PM
Zennock wrote:

Alright mate, I don't mind what you said. Hell, I might even agree on you on some parts. Lemme expand on why I think playing as a robot is "linear". I used to be in plenty of "light-hearted" RPs with my friends. I've tried plenty of characters and because of that I just want to play a character that's as basic as I can be. Not a robot, not a succubus, not a fishman, but just a human character that tries to be as normal as possible but with some interesting backstories/personality. 

About the portrait,  welp. The first thing I thought of when I saw the OpBot was the engineer from Dead Space. I thought I just needed a avatar from the game and none of the backstories/looks matter.

If I'm being too much of a bother. I really am sorry. I'm not too used to "serious" roleplays yet (Notice the "light-hearted" before RP) and I'm taking time to adjust. If I am being too much of a annoyance, please call out on my behavior and I'll try to improve or if you want to, ask me to leave the RP. I don't want to be a liability to anybody. 

I'm not going to kick you out because of some miscommunications over a picture. And how light-hearted or dramatic the roleplay is going to be is still in the air. It's something best decided during the course of play instead of defined beforehand.

And for the record: I don't care whether the avatar you hand me is from Endless Space (heck, I'm using a EL Vaulter picture), as long as it fits your character and shows the appropriate race. As you might not have noticed, despite my ranting about the forum being inadequate, I put up a link to the crew roster svg in the first post. When somebody new reads through that post, the picture depicted there will be how they see your character, which is why it needs to be the right race.

Right now, your character has basically a randomly picked human portrait from ES, but you are free to provide me a different one. Just note that it will be mercilessly cropped to a 1:2 aspect ratio.

Also, for the sake of this getting moving soon, the Chief Engineer post can be left unfilled, given that we have two people with jury-rigging skills. So go and tell your friends about this awesome opportunity to boss around people as a spaceship captain.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 26, 2016, 2:17:22 PM
Alien@System wrote:
Zennock wrote:

I'm not going to kick you out because of some miscommunications over a picture. And how light-hearted or dramatic the roleplay is going to be is still in the air. It's something best decided during the course of play instead of defined beforehand.

And for the record: I don't care whether the avatar you hand me is from Endless Space (heck, I'm using a EL Vaulter picture), as long as it fits your character and shows the appropriate race. As you might not have noticed, despite my ranting about the forum being inadequate, I put up a link to the crew roster svg in the first post. When somebody new reads through that post, the picture depicted there will be how they see your character, which is why it needs to be the right race.

Right now, your character has basically a randomly picked human portrait from ES, but you are free to provide me a different one. Just note that it will be mercilessly cropped to a 1:2 aspect ratio.

Also, for the sake of this getting moving soon, the Chief Engineer post can be left unfilled, given that we have two people with jury-rigging skills. So go and tell your friends about this awesome opportunity to boss around people as a spaceship captain.

I think we should go along with a avatar that looks closest to a scientist. Unless you would want this to be my avatar:

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 26, 2016, 2:39:37 PM
Zennock wrote:

I think we should go along with a avatar that looks closest to a scientist. Unless you would want this to be my avatar:

This does not look like a human.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 26, 2016, 3:00:26 PM
Alien@System wrote:
Zennock wrote:

This does not look like a human.

:3

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 28, 2016, 5:24:42 AM
BlackBird1696 wrote:

You want me to see if I can recruit via the Spacebattles forums?

Sure, why not.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 28, 2016, 8:54:57 AM

A friend might want to join the RP. Problem is, he's not so serious and doesn't use the G2G forums. Where are we going to host the RP and will we use VC or text? 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 28, 2016, 10:57:19 AM
Zennock wrote:

A friend might want to join the RP. Problem is, he's not so serious and doesn't use the G2G forums. Where are we going to host the RP and will we use VC or text? 

It says Forum RP in the title, and that's the plan. So unfortunatly, signing up in the forums is a requirement.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 28, 2016, 1:41:48 PM
Alien@System wrote:
Zennock wrote:

It says Forum RP in the title, and that's the plan. So unfortunatly, signing up in the forums is a requirement.

So I see, I guess that's unfortunate. Then again, my friend isn't the type of person that likes to sit down and focus on one particular objective. What about the other question? Will we use Voice Chat or text? I personally prefer text as my Asian voice and my low quality mike isn't good for roleplaying. :p

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 28, 2016, 7:04:01 PM
Zennock wrote:

So I see, I guess that's unfortunate. Then again, my friend isn't the type of person that likes to sit down and focus on one particular objective. What about the other question? Will we use Voice Chat or text? I personally prefer text as my Asian voice and my low quality mike isn't good for roleplaying. :p

Forum RP means there will be a thread on the forum, into which we'll write what our characters are doing. I assumed that concept was known.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 6, 2016, 2:26:51 PM

Just popping in to verify that recruitment is still open. One more person, and we'll get this underway.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 9, 2016, 8:03:31 PM

My apologies it took me so long to get back to you about this. Unexpected circumstances kept me from writing my character on the weekend as promised, and during the week other plans had priority. Here we go, though:

Name: Yerem Ashami
Race: Human (Pilgrim)
Areas of Expertise: Endless Archaeology, Communications Technology, Geology, Combat Tactics
Personality: calm, headstrong, cynical
Bio: Yerem had been serving as de-facto second-in-command for almost a year when his ship got separated from the rest of the fleet due to a hyperdrive failure. Unfortunately, in their attempt to reunite with the fleet the ship ran into a small pirate fleet. Though they fought bravely, they were no match for the pirates' superior numbers, and were soon defeated, captured, and put to work in the asteroid mining operations of the pirates. Though he was eventually rescued, the years of slavery had worn down his devotion, and he had taken on a much more pragmatic and outright cynical attitude. With no desire to rejoin the military, and disillusioned with the glorification of the Endless, yet still interested in their history and technology, Yerem signed up for an exploration mission.

One question, though: How will we handle any actions with uncertain outcome? I'm fine with whoever if GMing at the time just deciding the outcome that most suits the story, but when we take such an action, should we describe what we want to achieve, or just what we do, and should we include "contingency plans" in case it fails?

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 10, 2016, 3:01:13 AM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:

My apologies it took me so long to get back to you about this. Unexpected circumstances kept me from writing my character on the weekend as promised, and during the week other plans had priority. Here we go, though:

Name: Yerem Ashami
Race: Human (Pilgrim)
Areas of Expertise: Endless Archaeology, Communications Technology, Geology, Combat Tactics
Personality: calm, headstrong, cynical
Bio: Yerem had been serving as de-facto second-in-command for almost a year when his ship got separated from the rest of the fleet due to a hyperdrive failure. Unfortunately, in their attempt to reunite with the fleet the ship ran into a small pirate fleet. Though they fought bravely, they were no match for the pirates' superior numbers, and were soon defeated, captured, and put to work in the asteroid mining operations of the pirates. Though he was eventually rescued, the years of slavery had worn down his devotion, and he had taken on a much more pragmatic and outright cynical attitude. With no desire to rejoin the military, and disillusioned with the glorification of the Endless, yet still interested in their history and technology, Yerem signed up for an exploration mission.

One queastion, though: How will we handle any actions with uncertain outcome? I'm fine with whoever if GMing at the time just deciding the outcome that most suits the story, but when we take such an action, should we describe what we want to achieve, or just what we do, and should we include "contingency plans" in case it fails?

Glad ta have you with us.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 10, 2016, 7:25:00 AM

One question, though: How will we handle any actions with uncertain outcome? I'm fine with whoever if GMing at the time just deciding the outcome that most suits the story, but when we take such an action, should we describe what we want to achieve, or just what we do, and should we include "contingency plans" in case it fails?

Welcome aboard. I'll open the roleplay thread shortly.

Forum roleplay relies on the player's desire to craft a good story for determination of uncertain outcomes. If you think this situation needs to get worse before it gets better, make it worse by something not working. If you think it needs resolving, resolve it. Obviously, this is very inviting for power-tripping, given that one could basically write an entire army out of existence in a single post (been there, done that). I will moderate the roleplay for obvious Mary Sues, to ensure that everyone can have fun. However, I won't GM in the traditional sense of controlling all NPCs and telling you when to roll dice. I will give some backdrop for the characters to explore, but how we fill that backdrop with action is as much up to you as me.

One last, strong advice particular to forum roleplay: Make sure you don't freeze other people by your absence. If two characters are in a conversation, and one of the players goes on a holiday without ending the conversation or telling anybody about it, the other character has to go inactive for the duration of that holiday, too, because the other players don't know when the absentee will be back. So, at the very least, write one player a PM so they can write your character out of the scene to ensure the story keeps flowing.

Oh, and one personal plea: No quoting in the RP thread. It just makes it worse to read.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 10, 2016, 10:41:43 AM
Alien@System wrote:

Welcome aboard. I'll open the roleplay thread shortly.

Forum roleplay relies on the player's desire to craft a good story for determination of uncertain outcomes. If you think this situation needs to get worse before it gets better, make it worse by something not working. If you think it needs resolving, resolve it. Obviously, this is very inviting for power-tripping, given that one could basically write an entire army out of existence in a single post (been there, done that). I will moderate the roleplay for obvious Mary Sues, to ensure that everyone can have fun. However, I won't GM in the traditional sense of controlling all NPCs and telling you when to roll dice. I will give some backdrop for the characters to explore, but how we fill that backdrop with action is as much up to you as me.

One last, strong advice particular to forum roleplay: Make sure you don't freeze other people by your absence. If two characters are in a conversation, and one of the players goes on a holiday without ending the conversation or telling anybody about it, the other character has to go inactive for the duration of that holiday, too, because the other players don't know when the absentee will be back. So, at the very least, write one player a PM so they can write your character out of the scene to ensure the story keeps flowing.

Oh, and one personal plea: No quoting in the RP thread. It just makes it worse to read.

Might be a good idea to post tthese things in a highlighted quote bubble at the top of the new thread for reference. Nevermind.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 12, 2016, 11:21:04 PM

Too late to join?

Name:  Alice "Angel" Skeler

Race: Human (Pirate)

Areas of Expertise: Starship Engineering, Electronic Warfare and Remote Hacking

Personality:  Though she projects a fairly friendly of stoic nature most of the time, Alice is known to be rather ruthless with those who cross her.  When her mask drops, it's sudden and frightening.

Bio:  Somewhat Young and small in stature, Alice's life has been a series of unfortunate accidents and terrible circumstances.   Orphaned at a young age, she was adopted by a wealthy Imperial family and raised with the best private schooling possible, excelling in the design of interstellar drives though she dabbled in a few other areas, including a rebel streak even the strictest upbringing failed to quash.   It seemed like she was on the track to success, when disaster struck.   During a test run of one of her newest designs, an experimental FTL drive using a powerful but untested Dust-based core, her small vessel was raided by pirates and the crew taken prisoner.   In desperation, she sabotaged the core, causing the hulls of both vessels to fill with energized Dust.    The exposure should have killed her, yet somehow of both crews she alone survived, yet forever changed.

Now, with only the slightest physical touch, she can understand the intricacies of most sophisticated devices and how they might be malfunctioning.   Such a skill turned out to be both a blessing and a curse: while she exceeds at repairing or disrupting machinery, there is little challenge left to her in that field.   She has gone mercenary in her pursuits of new, untouched frontiers.   While she claims this mission is "just business,"   there's an odd glint in her eye when the Endless are mentioned. 

Though skilled with small arms and shorter blades, Alice prefers to avoid direct confrontation, instead choosing to wage war with a remote controlled drone.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 13, 2016, 5:09:42 AM
Mokinokaro wrote:

Too late to join?

No, we haven't even left port yet. Welcome aboard, and have fun. Your character picture will be somewhat aggressively cropped, but I think it should still be okay.

EDIT: It required some more lines of code, but the frame is now properly centred on the face. However, it's a bit of ugly svg coding, so don't ask me to do it too often.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 24, 2016, 7:52:59 AM
BG123 wrote:

Sorry, I'm incredibly late to the party. If the RP is still continuing, would there be room for either a Hissho or Sheredyn character?

RP is still active (technically), and we're still in port. So go ahead and make a character, and we'll fit them in. You can be somebody from the exotic list, there's room.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Sep 24, 2016, 9:15:42 AM
BG123 wrote:

Ah, good to know. I noticed there wasn't any activity for four days so I assumed you all had moved to some other place to write the RP. When I have time I'll make a character.

No, it just got stale because people either didn't show up, failed to answer, are bound up in conversation with somebody who's not answering, or were waiting for other people to post because they don't want to be responsible for 50% of the posts in the thread. Such are the perils of forum RP.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment