Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Endless Space Forum RP [Recruitment]

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 10, 2019, 4:19:17 PM

Sure. Just post a bio and let us have a look over it.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 10, 2019, 7:56:13 PM

Mmmmm, possible more characters?? Excited to see what you folks come up with!

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 11, 2019, 12:11:24 AM

Appearance: Red hair, beard, manbun, blue eyes with cybernetics and a crazy look on them. Like the man below, but younger, shorter beard and with features from the woman:

Name: Faolan Kavanaugh (Fey-lan)

Race: Human (Pilgrims)

Expertise: Endless lore and Archeotech; Self-proclaimed dust mystic

Special skill: Dust Whisperer - Faolan can use dust to revive or operate ancient technological devices. Usually involves bizarre rituals, chanting mantras and copious amounts of dust.

Personality: Passionate, obsessive, absent-minded, visionary, lunatic.

Faolan was once an esteemed engineer on the Pilgrim Path of Technology and an expert on the study of ancient Endless technology. Together with his husband he researched a multitude of Endless ruins and became famous amongst the Pilgrims when he managed to temporarily awaken a cluster of Endless ruins with the use of dust. For a few years he continued to refine his knowledge of Endless technology and how to manipulate it with dust and eventually reverse-engineered a pair of dust gauntlets of Concrete Endless origin. They proved instrumental in his ability to manipulate dust and to revive archeotech.

Unfortunately, fate took a turn for Faolan when during an expedition a device he activated released a strange, floating cloud of dust. When he tried to manipulate the dust into submission with his gauntlets, it recoiled violently and produced a terrible electro-magnetic explosion. In the aftermath, Faolan's husband died while the scientist barely made it out alive with permanent brain injuries.

Driven mad by the death of his husband, Faolan became obsessed with discovering the true properties of dust and subjugating this Endless technology to his will. Dissatisfied with simply manipulating machines, the Pilgrim was determined to unlock the true potential of dust by forcing it to generate the kind of phenomenon he witnessed. This led to a dark path of dangerous experimentation, an unhealty obsession with Pilgrim rituals, and an almost lethal exposure to dust. Faolan installed cybernetic and bionic enhancement and linked his Pilgrim tattoos neurally to his brain and his gauntlets, sought out dangerous anomalies in attempts to make dust learn them, and activated dangerous Endless facilities which nearly killed an entire Pilgrim expedition. His descent into madness eventually alerted the Pilgrims and he was put on trial. Charged with dangerous experimentation, indecency, and the cruel homicide of United Empire soldiers, he was exiled from the Pilgrim fleets.

Now Faolan seeks a new crew which would allow him to study the properties of dust. He is convinced that dust is more than mere technology and is capable of wondrous things. Thus, with his trusty gauntlets, enhanced tattoos and brilliant but deranged mind, Faolan has set out to finally find the planet Tor, in hopes of learning a way to make dust bring back his dead spouse. Currently, his only "magical" ability is to use dust to animate and revive technologies. He is also trying to make it manifest a gravitational singularity, so far with no success. He also talks to the dust sometimes.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 11, 2019, 1:50:19 AM

I wanted to create a Vodyani but given the race restrictions posted in the beginning, I don't want to overtax the 'limited' population crew. Where do we stand on that?

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 11, 2019, 4:41:09 PM
Valadeus wrote:

I wanted to create a Vodyani but given the race restrictions posted in the beginning, I don't want to overtax the 'limited' population crew. Where do we stand on that?

although many are inactive:

A mix of various humans

a vodyani

a craver

a lumeris

i, the beautiful and perfect horatio

a sower

a automaton

a riftborn

a robot  (of potential vaulter origin)

and thats it so far according to what i can remember

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 11, 2019, 7:39:03 PM

There was also a Haroshem chef, a Raian technician, a Vaulter pilot, and the human(?) chief of engineering, but you've gotten most of them

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 11, 2019, 10:09:07 PM

Well, I would like to consider signing up as a second Vodyani if the currently active players and/or leaders of this shindig would be okay with me submitting a concept? I've been reading up the lore and this particular part of it and I'd like to try my hand at it. 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 12, 2019, 5:00:43 AM

Wow, I didn't even realize we had a forum RP going. That's what I get for being a lurker for so long, I suppose. If characters are still being accepted even after what looks like a recent spike in interest, I'd be happy to write up a bio for consideration.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 12, 2019, 6:08:31 AM
dobyk wrote:

Special skill: Dust Whisperer - Faolan can use dust to revive or operate ancient technological devices. Usually involves bizarre rituals, chanting mantras and copious amounts of dust.

[...]

While I'm not per se against a personality driven over the edge by loss, there is one major problem with that bio: The Saviour is a Pilgrim ship and the expedition financed, organized and launched by Pilgrims. No way they'd let a dangerous exile of their own people on board.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 12, 2019, 2:45:09 PM
Alien@System wrote:
dobyk wrote:

[...]

While I'm not per se against a personality driven over the edge by loss, there is one major problem with that bio: The Saviour is a Pilgrim ship and the expedition financed, organized and launched by Pilgrims. No way they'd let a dangerous exile of their own people on board.

True, I actually realized that as well at some point. In that case, I will edit the following paragraph: 

Driven mad by the death of his husband, Faolan became obsessed with discovering the true properties of dust and subjugating this Endless technology to his will. Dissatisfied with simply manipulating machines, the Pilgrim was determined to unlock the true potential of dust by forcing it to generate the kind of phenomenon he witnessed. This led to a dark path of dangerous experimentation, an unhealty obsession with Pilgrim rituals, and an almost lethal exposure to dust. Faolan installed cybernetic and bionic enhancement and linked his Pilgrim tattoos neurally to his brain and his gauntlets, sought out dangerous anomalies in attempts to make dust learn them, and activated dangerous Endless facilities. Despite his unpredictable behavior and damaged psyche, Faolan is still one of the best techno-archeologists and and his understanding of both Dust and the Endless is rivalled by very few people. The planners of the Savior's voyage thought the benefits of having Faolan onboard outweight the risks, but the brilliant madman could not be found anywhere. 

That is, until one day he almost crashed into the Savior with his small exploration shuttle.  Faolan had heard of this mission to Tor and has decided to join the crew - finding Tor would be a golden opportunity o study the properties of dust. He is convinced that dust is more than mere technology and is capable of wondrous things. Thus, with his trusty gauntlets, enhanced tattoos and brilliant but deranged mind, Faolan has set out to finally find the planet Tor, in hopes of learning a way to make dust bring back his dead spouse. Currently, his only "magical" ability is to use dust to animate and revive technologies. He is also trying to make it manifest a gravitational singularity, so far with no success. He also talks to the dust sometimes.

Small note: Although Faolan misses his husband and claims he desires to resurrect him, at this point his madness and obsessions have begun to dominate him, and he is more energized by the thrill of power.

I hope this is a good edit

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 12, 2019, 7:37:28 PM
Iarainn wrote:

Wow, I didn't even realize we had a forum RP going. That's what I get for being a lurker for so long, I suppose. If characters are still being accepted even after what looks like a recent spike in interest, I'd be happy to write up a bio for consideration.

people are generally free to join, with alien’s permission. Feel free to write a charcter bio and post it. alien will be the judge.

dont worry, she isnt harsh

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 12, 2019, 8:17:16 PM

Name: Mazatl Redsail

Race: Hissho

Areas of Expertise: Celestial Navigation, Military History, Fleet Coordination, Large-Scale Combat (Space), Air Combat Maneuvering (ACM), Close Quarters Combat (CQC)

Personality: Atypically talkative and amicable for a Hissho, Mazatl is easily distracted by anyone willing to converse at length with him about military history (especially Hissho military history) and spaceflight, his two favorite subjects. Otherwise, he is decidedly professional and polite, if somewhat sensitive about his past injuries.

Bio: A native of the Westline Archipelago, Mazatl was born into a clan with a venerable naval tradition stretching back to naumachiae staged in the arenas of Sykagoja (or so his clan likes to claim, typically without much corroborating evidence). From early childhood, his more traditional Hissho combat training was supplemented with instruction in naval tactics, celestial navigation, and a wide variety of other related subjects; by the time Mazatl came of age and entered the Hissho navy, he was already a veteran seafarer. Selected as a naval aviator upon receiving his commission, he rose steadily through the ranks before finally securing a billet as the XO on the heavy carrier Akagi after two decades of service.

His career took a turn for the worse when the Akagi was crippled by a squadron of pirate interceptors off Tannhauser III, during what was supposed to be a routine anti-piracy campaign. Mazatl was exposed to Dust after the carrier's drive containment failed and flooded much of the ship, killing the majority of the surviving crew. Pinned by debris on the shattered bridge, his right leg broken in numerous places, he nonetheless survived long enough for pirate salvage crews to penetrate the wreck of the Akagi and rescue him.

Dishonored both for surviving such an inglorious defeat, and for accepting rescue from pirate scum, Mazatl refused to return to Uchi in shame. After working off his debt to his rescuers, he began offering his services as a mercenary pilot to whoever would hire him. He still walks with a distinct limp, a reminder of his fall from grace, but his skills as a pilot and deck officer are as sharp as ever.

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 12, 2019, 9:57:49 PM
dobyk wrote:

Appearance: Red hair, beard, manbun, blue eyes with cybernetics and a crazy look on them. Like the man below, but younger, shorter beard and with features from the woman:

Faolan was once an esteemed engineer on the Pilgrim Path of Technology and an expert on the study of ancient Endless technology. Together with his husband he researched a multitude of Endless ruins and became famous amongst the Pilgrims when he managed to temporarily awaken a cluster of Endless ruins with the use of dust. For a few years he continued to refine his knowledge of Endless technology and how to manipulate it with dust and eventually reverse-engineered a pair of dust gauntlets of Concrete Endless origin. They proved instrumental in his ability to manipulate dust and to revive archeotech.

Unfortunately, fate took a turn for Faolan when during an expedition a device he activated released a strange, floating cloud of dust. When he tried to manipulate the dust into submission with his gauntlets, it recoiled violently and produced a terrible electro-magnetic explosion. In the aftermath, Faolan's husband died while the scientist barely made it out alive with permanent brain injuries.

Driven mad by the death of his husband, Faolan became obsessed with discovering the true properties of dust and subjugating this Endless technology to his will. Dissatisfied with simply manipulating machines, the Pilgrim was determined to unlock the true potential of dust by forcing it to generate the kind of phenomenon he witnessed. This led to a dark path of dangerous experimentation, an unhealty obsession with Pilgrim rituals, and an almost lethal exposure to dust. Faolan installed cybernetic and bionic enhancement and linked his Pilgrim tattoos neurally to his brain and his gauntlets, sought out dangerous anomalies in attempts to make dust learn them, and activated dangerous Endless facilities which nearly killed an entire Pilgrim expedition. His descent into madness eventually alerted the Pilgrims and he was put on trial. Charged with dangerous experimentation, indecency, and the cruel homicide of United Empire soldiers, he was exiled from the Pilgrim fleets.

Now Faolan seeks a new crew which would allow him to study the properties of dust. He is convinced that dust is more than mere technology and is capable of wondrous things. Thus, with his trusty gauntlets, enhanced tattoos and brilliant but deranged mind, Faolan has set out to finally find the planet Tor, in hopes of learning a way to make dust bring back his dead spouse. Currently, his only "magical" ability is to use dust to animate and revive technologies. He is also trying to make it manifest a gravitational singularity, so far with no success. He also talks to the dust sometimes.

Another quirky gay scientist with a tragic loss in his past? We should open a club or something :D

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 12, 2019, 11:42:36 PM
StormAngel wrote:

There was also a Haroshem chef, a Raian technician, a Vaulter pilot, and the human(?) chief of engineering, but you've gotten most of them

Alice (our chief engineer) definitely has some Vaulter background.   it just hasn't come up yet.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 13, 2019, 6:28:48 AM
BobMarleysGhost wrote:

although many are inactive:

A mix of various humans

a vodyani

a craver

a lumeris

i, the beautiful and perfect horatio

a sower

a automaton

a riftborn

a robot  (of potential vaulter origin)

and thats it so far according to what i can remember

The current "active" list, determined by who posted within the last two months, looks like this:

Alice (Human, common)

Mantovanni (Horatio, common)

741N73D (Sower, common)

Ylona (Human, common)

Valorum (Vodyani, limited)

λ (Riftborn, exotic)

Or in other words, we'd need two normal people for a new Limited or Exotic character. Which, if all three of you follow through, we'd have.

Oh, and if any of the old folk now feel like saying "Hey, that's not fair, I'm around!", it's been two months since you posted. Sixty days. That's enough time to get through any exam periods and still join in on any of the active scenes, or start a new one.

@dobyk: The italicized changes in the bio should be okay, but I don't agree with the ones you've snuck into the last paragraph without highlighting them. Especially since there is no need. If the Pilgrims think he's crazy but useful, sending him on a holy mission seems already logical without the need to have him crash into the ship in between.

@Iarainn: Seems good. I guess Ylona will have to give up the helm from time to time now, but I think that's okay.

@Valadeus: The bio seems good, but I'd like to hear from our other regulars whether they're okay with a second Vodyani.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 13, 2019, 7:00:50 AM
Alien@System 

@dobyk: The italicized changes in the bio should be okay, but I don't agree with the ones you've snuck into the last paragraph without highlighting them. Especially since there is no need. If the Pilgrims think he's crazy but useful, sending him on a holy mission seems already logical without the need to have him crash into the ship in between.

Oh yeah, that was more to explain why he's joining now and not in the beginning of the mission. Otherwise, all good so far? 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 13, 2019, 9:35:19 AM

@Alien@System: 

Your roster looked pretty sparse on the deck department, so I figured it made more sense to create a character that fit in there, rather than throwing my name onto an already substantial pile of scientists and engineers. He'll gladly step into whatever role makes most sense for him in that context, but if Ylona is in a sharing mood, I sure won't object to him taking the helm sometimes. 

Any outstanding concerns I need to address before I start working out an introduction for the old warbird?

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 13, 2019, 12:11:44 PM

@Alien@System, 

Thanks for readnig over the bio! I understand if there are reservations about another Vodyani and, as I said, if we'd rather not have another one that's fine I can put together a different concept. I'll wait to hear the verdict then, thanks!

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment