Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Endless Space Forum RP [Recruitment]

Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
Feb 13, 2019, 7:55:30 PM
dobyk wrote:
Alien@System 

@dobyk: The italicized changes in the bio should be okay, but I don't agree with the ones you've snuck into the last paragraph without highlighting them. Especially since there is no need. If the Pilgrims think he's crazy but useful, sending him on a holy mission seems already logical without the need to have him crash into the ship in between.

Oh yeah, that was more to explain why he's joining now and not in the beginning of the mission. Otherwise, all good so far? 

Wh tried something like that before. It resulted in a year long slog of unmotivation. Just use the "I've been here all along but just kept quiet aproach". It simplifies matters beyond believe.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 13, 2019, 10:39:53 PM

After further review and consideration, I have removed my application. As much as I think I could have differentiated my Vodyani from StormAngel's Vodyani, it placed an unnecessary level of need for that to happen in order for the RP to not feel like carbon copies and since my character would more-or-less be played as the knightly/paladin type character, there'd be too much bleed over so disregard concept. 

Thanks. 

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 13, 2019, 10:45:50 PM

I'm liking the new characters! @Valadeus I agree with you, too many Paladins ruins the party. I'm excited to see what else you come up with though!

Also, λ (Lambda, unless you speak Riftborn) is basically done with his scene, unless our glorious leader decides he wants to take me up on the living probe idea. As you get your characters get refined and approved, feel free to start a scene with λ, be it on the bridge or elsewhere! 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 13, 2019, 10:56:55 PM

I know this is going to come across as very snowflakey but it's not intended that way, I simply see an opportunity that could be fun to capitalize on. Given the recent addition of the Umbral Choir, how do we feel about a Choir-possessed Human character like Imane from the UC storyline? Not really a Sleeper (because the person would be aware of their 'possession') but someone willingly joining the Choir? 

The argument being that since the dying cry of the Endless civilization is what fractured the UC in the first place and brought them to this galaxy, a mission dedicated to learning more about them and what may have led to their demise would be right in line with the mission of the UC, particularly with the potential to heal the cracks with whatever knowledge is gleaned. It would also allow for a late arrival to the group since the UC would only recently be "showing itself" to the mission. 

Thoughts? 

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 13, 2019, 11:37:28 PM
dugintostew wrote:

I'm liking the new characters! @Valadeus I agree with you, too many Paladins ruins the party. I'm excited to see what else you come up with though!

Also, λ (Lambda, unless you speak Riftborn) is basically done with his scene, unless our glorious leader decides he wants to take me up on the living probe idea. As you get your characters get refined and approved, feel free to start a scene with λ, be it on the bridge or elsewhere! 

if you dont object, do you mind mantovani proposing the idea of yeeting the interdimensional being at the endless artifact? 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 12:03:39 AM

@Valadeus Sounds like a lot of fun! The weirder the better (said the person playing from the exotic list). But definately up to Alien. While your waiting on her input, you might start working on some writing samples, so Alien can get a better idea of how the character would fit.

@BobMarleysGhost I strongly support the support for yeeting interdimensional beings. Its one of my favorite hobbies. But lets not actually yote λ until we get a chance to get our new crewmates integrated a bit. Being on a ballistic trajectory does have a way of dampening hospitality.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 12:38:03 AM
ThonkTank wrote:
dobyk wrote:
Alien@System 

@dobyk: The italicized changes in the bio should be okay, but I don't agree with the ones you've snuck into the last paragraph without highlighting them. Especially since there is no need. If the Pilgrims think he's crazy but useful, sending him on a holy mission seems already logical without the need to have him crash into the ship in between.

Oh yeah, that was more to explain why he's joining now and not in the beginning of the mission. Otherwise, all good so far? 

Wh tried something like that before. It resulted in a year long slog of unmotivation. Just use the "I've been here all along but just kept quiet aproach". It simplifies matters beyond believe.

Oh no, I intend to be much more active. He's not a know-it-all. He's someone motivated to experiment and discover. 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 2:30:25 AM

I leave for literally a day, and *WHAM*, 24 posts outta nowhere. This is one hell of a game.

I will say that I love Akagi's character concept to death; had I not chosen Valorum, I probably would have run a Hissho character too.

Valadeus, I didn't see your Bio, but having another Vodyani aboard could have been interesting. The UC character sounds more promising, though, because he could be literally any of the random crew all of us have passed by so far.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 2:32:03 AM
StormAngel wrote:

I leave for literally a day, and *WHAM*, 24 posts outta nowhere. This is one hell of a game.

I will say that I love Akagi's character concept to death; had I not chosen Valorum, I probably would have run a Hissho character too.

Valadeus, I didn't see your Bio, but having another Vodyani aboard could have been interesting. The UC character sounds more promising, though, because he could be literally any of the random crew all of us have passed by so far.

That was actually the intent....

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 2:37:10 AM
StormAngel wrote:

At some point Mazatl and Valorum will have to talk. Two religious characters with extensive military (and naval) backgrounds? That's almost guaranteed to be an amusing conversation.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 3:03:43 AM

@Iarainn And certainly differing views on the subject. Lemme get some space-popcorn!

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 6:38:34 AM
BobMarleysGhost wrote:

id say that sounds great!

still up to alien@system though

StormAngel wrote:

The UC character sounds more promising, though, because he could be literally any of the random crew all of us have passed by so far.

I guess I'll have to go and buy the expansion, then, because Amplitude abadoned their wiki and I don't even know anything about the UC except "they spy". That's why they aren't in the species list I just updated yesterday.

And on the topic of people of differing military backgrounds, I shall tip my hat to Mike Cole when I throw the following words into the ring for inspiration:

Space Coast Guard

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 11:05:51 AM
Alien@System wrote:
BobMarleysGhost wrote:

id say that sounds great!

still up to alien@system though

StormAngel wrote:

The UC character sounds more promising, though, because he could be literally any of the random crew all of us have passed by so far.

I guess I'll have to go and buy the expansion, then, because Amplitude abadoned their wiki and I don't even know anything about the UC except "they spy". That's why they aren't in the species list I just updated yesterday.

And on the topic of people of differing military backgrounds, I shall tip my hat to Mike Cole when I throw the following words into the ring for inspiration:

Space Coast Guard

if you dont want to spend money on the dlc you could always watch a lets play of the umbral choir.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 11:34:14 AM

Spoiler: Below is a brief summary of the Umbral Choir and contains minor spoilers of their faction quest near the end, don't read it if you don't want to. There is a bolded statement at the end which stands apart from the summary and you can skip to that part for the part of the post that is relevant to the discussion otherwise. 

The Umbral Choir come from a distant galaxy, originally one creature that roamed in silence and isolation. At some point it heard the death cry of a galaxy which called out it and fractured its unity, splitting it into discordant parts. It decided at this time that its purpose was to heal the suffering caused by this death cry and it began to move toward the cry it heard. 

That death cry was the death of the Endless Civilization and the Choir has arrived millenia later to see life springing up in the aftermath but this life is still suffering and while it is suffering the Choir cannot find harmony and unity within itself. So it resolved once again to ease the suffering of this galaxy. To do so, the immaterial Choir established the Nexus, a place in the Endless galaxy where the immaterial Choir could take form and merge the immaterial and material in order to interact with this galaxy and its denizens. From that point it sets out to interact with the people of the galaxy, to observe, to learn and to heal both the galaxy and itself. 

That's a basic summary of their background. They're essentially immaterial shadow-like creatures with the power to possess other creatures, this possession is usually subvert and mostly a way for the Choir to observe from within though they can apparently also make suggestions and even completely take over if the need arises (this is suggested by the opening cinematic for the Choir and the subsequent faction storyline). The faction storyline centers around a two-part monologue where a Pilgrim who was posessed by the Choir in the opening video (Imane Kayve) has no memory of the first moments of her possession only the moments leading up to it and the moments after it and begins to realize she's still possessed. Simultaneously the Choir expresses continuing confusion about how this galaxy and its people operate because it can find no unity and no central form of governance that guides all these moving, chaotic parts. I don't want to spoil too much for those that want to follow the quest line themselves in game but suffice it to say that Imane becomes a willing part of the Choir. 

I could go into a lot more detail but this is the summary of the UC in the hopes that you don't feel you need to buy the expansion if you don't want to. 

With that said, I've no interest in forcing another person to buy an expansion just to keep engaging in the RP that they, themselves set up. I'll put in a different concept.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 5:06:06 PM
Valadeus wrote:

With that said, I've no interest in forcing another person to buy an expansion just to keep engaging in the RP that they, themselves set up. I'll put in a different concept. 

No need to do that. What you've written is enough info for me to decide that Umbral Choir is in the Exotic pool (as you have to roleplay basically two characters at once) and that I don't need to bother putting them on the size list. Just because I started the thread doesn't mean I'm the ultimate authority here. There are other people here who have bought the expansion, and who will call out if anything seems off. 

However, I need to still bounce the customary question about Exotic races back at you: Are you sure you can and want to handle such a big task?

In different news, @ Iarainn and dobyk: You're good to go. However, dobyk, please either re-post or update your bio with the change about the not being exiled, so that I can link to it from the roster without causing confusion. (Yes, I will be updating the roster. Somebody paint a moon blue)

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 5:28:02 PM
ThonkTank wrote:

*gets out his inkling canon* This'll take a while, but I've got a few ideas on how to automate the process.

Would that be a cannon you got from an inkling, or a cannon that shoots inklings?

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment