Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Endless Space Forum RP [Recruitment]

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 5:56:37 PM

Tlaloc, don't worry. I am sure that in future there will be more roleplays on forum. So, remember about Zeros, maybe you'll use it later.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 12, 2016, 3:54:17 AM

That's fine, I thought it might not go over so well. I have another idea for another character I can write up. 

My last ditch effort to plead the case of poor Zeros will just be to say that I did write this line at the end

"Maybe once onboard it can convince one of the computer systems that it has a legitimate role on the ship. It always has liked working on mechanical systems."

to explain why Zeros wouldn't be immediately thrown in the brig or overboard.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 12, 2016, 7:30:31 AM

First off, just because I don't like the way you want to get aboard doesn't mean the hero is bad. I'm not sure where Mithrill gets that idea.

But, as I've written previously already, the whole stowaway thing is a contrived solution to an nonexistent problem. We're still in port, the crew is still coming aboard, so if you want to be an engineer, just say that you're an engineer. This way, you'll also get paid instead of having to leech Dust off other people.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 4:37:00 AM

Okay! I'll re-write this section,

Driven by curiosity, and the hope that whoever is flying the ship won't notice the extra Dust draining during flight, Zeros tried to smuggle itself onboard using its shoddy and extremely temperamental stealth unit. The unit failed halfway through the heist, as usual, but Zeros was used to this happening and had taken a route that led through the loading docks. Slipping itself into a nearby box of spare parts, Zeros waits for the crate to be loaded onto the Savior-Class ship. Maybe once onboard it can convince one of the computer systems that it has a legitimate role on the ship. It always has liked working on mechanical systems. [Why is that?] It wonders.

and post an update when I'm done.

Update:

Name: The Automaton Unit 0000 "Zeros"

Race: Automaton

Areas of Expertise: Stealth, Deception,  Mechanics, Electronics, Communications, and Linguistics

Bio Update:

The Automaton that would come to be known as "Zeros" was made identical to all the other Automaton produced on the assembly line before and after it. When it emerged from one of the many factories on the planet 367-45-3, the 3rd planet of the 45th solar system in the 367 space sector, nothing indicated the tragedy that would befall it. At the time it bore the proud designation of "Repair and Construction, Unit 6842". It was on a rudimentary repair of one of the atmospheric analyzers placed high in the mountains to observe 367-45-3's unique "Dust storms" (The entire purpose of 367-45-3's colonization being the study of this odd phenomenon.) That a bolt from the gold arced out of the sky and sent the poor being flying, briefly. After the shock of Dust laden electrocution and the subsequent damaging fall. Unit 6842 was surprised to find it could feel surprised, and hurt, and a little bit saddened too. The worst part of all of these new inputs was a lack of information from its siblings. And an odd feeling of loss when it struggled to find the part of it that contained it's designated Unit number. The only thing that distracted from this loss and made the feeling dull was the focus that "Unit ----" felt coursing through its frame. Golden sparks that thrummed with an addicting power, one that Unit 0000, as it decided to think of itself lacking any other information, could feel fading. Ever sense that day Zeros has been driven only by the need to seek and find influxes of Dust. Driven from 367-45-3 when its thefts were discovered (An event involving many unhappy Automatons bolting Zeros into a rocket after the hapless Zeros's self-made cloaking device ran out of power, something that would happen often in the following years, in the middle of a factories Dust refectory.) Gifted with the ability to understand most languages extremely quickly. Zeros has wandered the galaxies. It has served as butler or translator to some. and as assassin or spy to others. Always the Dust Hunger leads it into some trouble or other and results in banishment or expulsion. Recently Zeros heard word of an expedition to a far off sector of space.

Driven by curiosity, a shortage of employment options, and a growing desire to put as much distance between itself and it's most recent ex-employer (A crime-boss Zeros had almost, but not quite, been able to successfully double-cross) as possible. Zeros reached out and contacted the computer systems of those responsible for mission recruitment (A job requiring a quick midnight climb on a moonless night: recently serviced, and hopefully functional, cloaking systems; and wires crossed for luck.). A long climb and a short burst of data later (Non-Robotic factions often overlook how easy it is to get electronic systems to agree with you. All you have to do is be polite.) and Zeros had an interview lined up.  [Hopefully all continues going well.]

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 4:19:51 PM
Nibot wrote:

Race: Craver

*sigh* Do people even read what I've written previously. Yes, sure, you want your character to be special, but giving them a weird way onto the ship not how you should do it. I'm tempted to approve you and then force you to roleplay an unmoving cravsicle for the entire duration of the trip. Because even assuming that the Pilgrims would load something that dangerous onto a ship on such an important mission (instead of, say, taking a little shuttle and throwing it into their own sun), if the crew is halfway competent, and I think we can safely say that the crew is competent, then a frozen, dangerous Craver in a box stays in that box until it's hurled into the designated sun.

Yes, later during the trip, when we're out in the empty void, then there will be a need for unconventional entries for new characters. But right now we're in port. People can literally just walk onto the ship.

And secondly, Cravers are in the second row of the table for a reason, and that reason is that they do not play well with others in their natural state. Any Craver considered for the mission should therefore have a background that gives people to trust it to be able to tell who's a friend and what's food. An empowered Endless Super-Craver with a reputation for violence isn't going to be on that list. Besides, canonically, the invention of Dust came before the creation of the Cravers.

For the sake of clarity, I'm not saying you can't play a Craver. What I'm saying is, if you want to play a Craver, this is not the one you're going to play.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 10:16:19 PM

Okay thank you. I'll try to create something better.

How could I amend him to something more playable? What would be a good role to fill? What would you suggest or need?

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 11:33:53 PM

Maybe you could focus more on a ex-gladiator aspect? Would a Craver that had been captured, used in pit fights, and then been exposed to Dust in such a way that it gained independence from the hive make sense? You could even keep the hidden desire for revenge in there, but you might want to redirect the focus of it. (The Endless are a pretty major foe to oppose.)

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 14, 2016, 12:37:59 AM

Alright, re-edited, I hope this is okay!

Name: “Decius”

Race: Craver

Areas of Expertise: Multiprocessing, Close Quarters Combat

Abilities: Melee Combat Expertise, Multilayered Mental Computing and Processing (The ability to perform or internalize several mental processes at one given moment).

Bio:

“They made me fight for their enjoyment. They changed me to fit with their own agenda, to feel stronger pain and to show weakness. I removed their weaknesses and replaced it with vengeance. After they gave me individuality I broke free of their chains and took to the vastness of space.”

Decius, although still bitter about his enslavement and subsequent captivity, tours the world in hopes of finding his original hive. After being separated from them and modified with dust, he has received great thinking power comparable to a computing system. Because of his days as a fighter he has gained skills at fighting with melee weapons and is further made dangerous by his ability to analyze more than one target at a time. To interact with other creatures he developed emotions and personality. He is now joining on to the ship, Savior as a gunner in hopes that Tor will hold information on the location of his hive. Although mostly hostile to other creatures, Desius will slowly and begrudgingly form friendships with others. He is viewed as an outcast by all, even those of his own race. That said, the ship had needed a competent gunner and his melee skills would be useful in repelling boarders.

I'm still relatively new to this, if any clarification or editing is needed, please tell me!

Post Script: Thanks, Tlaloc for the speedy advice!

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 14, 2016, 7:29:22 AM

Welcome to the crew!

Since I assume not all newcomers are keeping track of the OOC chatter in the roleplay thread, here a quick heads-up: The Captain position will be vacated again soon since Cat will drop out as he's too busy with other stuff. While I could take over that position, I'd rather not. I've made some bad experiences with being forced to roleplay a captain before. So if anyone wants the quick promotion, now'd be the time.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 14, 2016, 12:09:47 PM

Thanks! I'll try posting as soon as possible. Do we want large paragraphs or condensed form?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 15, 2016, 10:05:02 PM

Hey Nibot,

longer OOC conversations happen over here. I'm a bit curious about crew bunks as well, I think you can just write in whatever works for you? But I think it would be useful if we had a general idea of the sizes, types, and numbers of crew quarters.

As for your question, this is from the wiki about Automatons. "When referring to themselves, the Automatons almost always avoid using 'we' or 'us' but instead speak in the third person - 'The Automaton...' " But Zeros instincts regarding this have been somewhat warped after its accident and exile. Subsequently, I've taken this in such a way that while the driving intelligence behind Zeros is "Zeros". The actual physical form it resides in is "The Automaton Unit-0000". Ergo, sometime Zeros talks to; or interacts with, The Automaton. And often Zeros and The Automaton have a back-and-forth for greater understanding of a given situation.

In the simplest terms,

The Automaton is basic survival functions (Much like a hind-brain or decentralized nervous system),

and Zeros is the personality that it needed to develop in order to function among non-Automatons.

I hope this makes sense.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 15, 2016, 10:42:56 PM

Thanks! It makes more sense now. I'll just have to find a dark, secluded place for Decius to settle down.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 16, 2016, 1:55:52 AM

How do people feel about a rough labeled map?

Communications           Crew Quarters                                                 Bridge                  Storage/Armoury

Engineering    Rear Guns                                                  Science Labs                         Forward Guns

The Engines are unlabeled at the back, the guns are mirrored on the other side.

How does it look? Personally my only regret is the lack of better place for the Armoury. In my mind it would be better spread out across the ship, maybe with the largest collection being positioned between the Crew Quarters and the Science Lab. But there wasn't a blue line pointing there so I improvised.

(As a side note The Automatons hands look like this fellows, because those make more sense.)

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 16, 2016, 2:12:13 AM

Looks great! I have an old ship builder that I could use to build a rough map. I wonder what volume the ship takes up? If I know that I can make you guys a map. I'll try and calculate it myself.

I dont have an artbook, though. I'll need help there.

Is it three floors?

What guns does it have attached?

How much comfort room does it have in the corridors?

How spacious do we want it to be?

Do we want this design to be the final look of the ship?

These all need answers. I'll try starting to draw the outline tonight. Graph paper alright for everyone?

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 16, 2016, 2:33:43 AM

From a post Alien made on the previous page, its also where I got the picture from, give it a read if you want.

According to the Artbook, she's 250 m long, which gives her a total width of 110 m with the wings, and 45 m of the central habitable part, with a height of 45 m as well.

The "Wings" it refers to are those lower bits that I figured the guns could fit on. I believe that there is another one on the other side. Given the angle of the rectangular section near the middle, near Crew Quarters.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 16, 2016, 3:37:07 AM

Since I'm the gunner, can I decide the guns? I might draw out the ship in three stories or more. How thick do we want the armor to be? Can I decide that too?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 16, 2016, 4:35:10 AM

There should probably be a consensus on what is already here before any more work is put up. If you want to do some stuff on your own to have it prepared, thats probably fine. But I'd hold off of posting anything more until word comes in from some of the others.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 16, 2016, 9:16:49 PM

Hi! I'm new to the Amplitude Forums, but I've been playing Endless Space for the better part of a year now. I couldn't help but notice this thread. You guys have room for one more?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 16, 2016, 11:43:26 PM

I think so! I would wait for the DM's approval. He seems to not be on today though. We are waiting for confirmation on several things.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment