Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Endless Space Forum RP [Recruitment]

Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 8:48:09 PM

I've handled similarly challenging concepts before in tabletop games but the point is not to be a complication to the group but rather a fun part of the RP. With that said, I'm just a random stranger and unfamiliar with the group as much as the group is me so I can understand the reservations about it. 

I'm not trying to press the idea on anyone so if it's not something the group is comfortable with then I'll do something different, I'm not married to the idea. 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 9:29:43 PM

Appearance: Red hair, beard, manbun hairstyle, blue eyes with cybernetics and a crazy look on them. Like the man below, but much younger and with much shorter beard. Skin tone, hair and eye color from the woman.

Name: Faolan Kavanaugh (Fey-lan). Fey for short. 

Race: Human (Pilgrims)

Expertise: Endless lore and Archeotech; Self-proclaimed Dust Mystic

Special skill: Dust Whisperer - Faolan can use dust to revive or operate technological devices. Usually involves bizarre rituals, chanting mantras and copious amounts of dust.

Personality: Arrogant, passionate, obsessive, visionary, lunatic.

Gear: Dust Gauntlets, dust orbs (containers), Pilgrim-style lab-robe, books with Pilgrim mantras and scientific notes. 

History:

Faolan was once an esteemed engineer on the Pilgrim Path of Technology and an expert on the study of ancient Endless technology. Together with his husband he researched a multitude of Endless ruins and became famous amongst the Pilgrims when he managed to temporarily awaken a cluster of Endless ruins with the use of dust. For a few years he continued to refine his knowledge of Endless technology and how to manipulate it with dust and eventually reverse-engineered a pair of dust gauntlets of Concrete Endless origin. They proved instrumental in his ability to manipulate dust and to revive archeotech.

Unfortunately, fate took a turn for Faolan when during an expedition a device he activated released a strange, floating cloud of dust. When he tried to manipulate the dust into submission with his gauntlets, it recoiled violently and produced a terrible electro-magnetic explosion. In the aftermath, Faolan's husband died while the mystic barely made it out alive with permanent brain injuries.

Driven mad by the death of his husband, Faolan became obsessed with discovering the true properties of dust and subjugating this Endless technology to his will. Dissatisfied with simply manipulating machines, the Pilgrim was determined to unlock the true potential of dust by forcing it to generate the kind of phenomenon he witnessed. 

This led to a dark path of dangerous experimentation, an unhealty obsession with Pilgrim rituals, and an almost lethal exposure to dust. Faolan installed cybernetic and bionic enhancement and linked his Pilgrim tattoos neurally to his brain and his gauntlets, sought out dangerous anomalies in attempts to make dust learn them, and activated dangerous Endless facilities. Despite his unpredictable behavior and damaged psyche, Faolan is still one of the best techno-archeologists and his understanding of both Dust and the Endless is unrivalled. The planners of the Savior's voyage thought the benefits of having Faolan onboard outweight the risks and after much debating invited the lunatic to join the mission. 

Faolan had heard of this voyage to Tor and had decided to join its crew - finding Tor would be a golden opportunity to study the properties of dust. He is convinced that dust is more than mere technology and is capable of wondrous things. Thus, with his trusty gauntlets, enhanced tattoos and brilliant but deranged mind, Faolan has set out to finally find the planet Tor, in hopes of learning a way to make dust bring back his dead spouse. Currently, his only "magical" ability is to use dust to animate and revive technologies. He is also trying to make it manifest a gravitational singularity, so far with no success. He also talks to the dust sometimes.

Notes:

Also as a side note, since this RP is taking place on a Pilgrim ship, I want to mention I'm doing a lore update series on the Pilgrims, advancing their metaplot into ES2. For those interested, you can check here.

Otherwise, I think I'm ready for RP then. Can anyone give me a link with the character bios?

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 14, 2019, 10:28:36 PM

The link to Crew Bios is in the first post of this thread, under the 'Current Crew Roster' heading.

Also, I'm on there now, wow! Thank you Alien, my interdimensional equivalent of a heart is all aflutter!

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 15, 2019, 4:35:24 AM

@dugintostew:

I just realized I described Mazatl's flight feathers as yellow. λ is probably going to be fascinated by him once they stop being wary of each-other.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 15, 2019, 6:10:31 AM
dobyk wrote:

[...]

That is, until one day he almost crashed into the Savior with his small exploration shuttle.  [...]

No. Edit that out.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 15, 2019, 6:26:54 AM
Alien@System wrote:
dobyk wrote:

[...]

That is, until one day he almost crashed into the Savior with his small exploration shuttle.  [...]

No. Edit that out.

Done :) 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 16, 2019, 1:44:53 AM

Disregard all submitted concepts from me. 

I'll keep it simple and just put out a Human Security officer, it seems most of the ship's security is on leave right now. I would do Vodyani if permissible but otherwise Human. 

Thanks. 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 17, 2019, 5:33:46 PM
Valadeus wrote:

Disregard all submitted concepts from me. 

I'll keep it simple and just put out a Human Security officer, it seems most of the ship's security is on leave right now. I would do Vodyani if permissible but otherwise Human. 

Thanks. 

You shouldn't give up on your Vodyani concept. Just simplify it a bit, think of a good reason to join the lesser races and how to satiate your need for life essence 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 17, 2019, 11:40:51 PM

Thanks for the input, I always appreciate feedback. 

I had already figured the answer to those questions out, he was joining because the Church wanted to know more about the PIlgrims' knowledge of the Endless since they've been investing in research and exploration regarding the Endless for a very long time and the Vodyani will learn more through diplomacy than conquest in this regard. As far as his need for Essence goes...he would simply feed on anyone who threatened the group or willful offerings if he could manage to convince anyone. 

But it's really okay, the Vodyani concept isn't a hill to die on. I don't mind submitting my Vaulter concept, I was planning on putting that in tonight but it'll probably be tomorrow. 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 18, 2019, 3:57:10 AM

Name: Lazahr Valeth

Race: Aurigan

Affiliation: Vaulters

Classification: Security and Tactical Officer

Rank: Lieutenant (at time of dispatch to current assignment)

Specializations: Small Squadron Command Tactics (Space and Ground), Close Quarters Combat, Small Arms and Munitions, Security Procedures, Reconnaissance, Investigation, Interrogation

Dust Manifestations: Regeneration - Lazahr has no powers associated with his inundation with Dust (that he is aware of) other than the ability to regenerate rapidly, allowing him to take wounds that would otherwise be fatal and survive

Notable Equipment: Light Combat Armor (worn as a makeshift uniform over other clothing), heavily modified burst-fire assault rifle, titanium round shield and sword, metal chain of intricate design worn as a necklace

Personality: Disciplined, Perspicacious, Resolute, Reserved, Loyal

Biography: It should be stated from the outset that Lazahr rarely speaks of his past or his family. What little he has said reveals a younger sister named Halcya, a name he seldom mentions without fondling the metal chain he wears. 

Lazahr was fortunate enough to be stationed as part of the personal security detachment from the Sentinels to guard the First of the Bloodline and consequently received excellent combat and tactical training and experience in using modern technology. This is partly due to his ability to endure an extreme amount of punishment and survive, a trait he developed after escaping the Dust storms on Auriga, there have been no other developments from his exposure to Dust that he or anyone else is aware of. With the Vaulters now more securely settled in the galaxy, the pressing urgency for personnel to serve as Sentinels has diminished somewhat and the Vaulters have permitted some members of the Sentinels to take leaves of absence to pursue other careers, rest or to seek closure for the events of Auriga which, for them, are still fresh memories. Lazahr fell into the final category, his once amiable and charismatic personality now replaced by a more determined and grim one after the events of Auriga. 

A lover of books and learning, Lazahr has spent much of his downtime in study and reading particularly as it relates to Dust and the Endless that manufactured it, a substance believed to be at the heart of the problems plaguing Auriga and subsequently the Vaulters. Upon hearing of an expedition by the Pilgrims to look more into the lost homeworld of the Endless, Lazahr requested a long-term leave to join the expedition hoping that he might learn more of it and what may have befallen his people, how to avoid it happening in the future as well as ascertain what sort of people or 'gods' the Endless were so he may better understand this galaxy that they had such a hand in shaping. 

( I have a lot more information about his past, his motivations, his family and his plans but figured it would be more enjoyable to reveal and discover those things through roleplay rather than writing a novel here. If there is more information required or adjustments need to be made, let me know and I'll edit this bio. This will be final character I submit, I'll simply edit and revise as necessary rather than submit a different character. Thanks for your patience. )

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 18, 2019, 10:45:11 PM

Looks cool! Most of our security team seems to have eaten some bad shellfish and can't attend to their duties. Plus, the hold has been getting rather dangerous. Two seperate robotic beings have been threatened with knives recently. The crime rate is really getting out of hand.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 19, 2019, 1:39:20 PM

SCORE! I'm in! 

For the sake of simplicity, I'll just RP that Lazahr has always been kind of a background security member of the crew that's more-or-less just now "stepping up" as it were. 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 19, 2019, 6:19:14 PM

Sorry guys that i am not as active as normaly, if i find a sweet spot to get involved or get requested IC i will be there but i dont have the time/mental capacity to do some lonely fluff stuff.

Life is busy. To the new guys : Hey there ! Glad to have you here!

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 20, 2019, 5:26:31 AM

@AIMMO:

Glad to be here. And don't worry about it, I'm sure we can entertain ourselves until other people become more active again.

In other news, I found out today that I have a sinus infection (yay...), and I've just generally been feeling awful. So if I end up taking longer than normal to respond to someone's post, that would be why.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 20, 2019, 8:19:23 PM
Alien@System wrote:

.......….. 

I've updated Faolan's bio on page 41. Mostly just typos, changing some words/phrases and making the format more readable (don't know if this is transferred to the file).  Update to dust whisperer: and operate not only ancient devices, but with much greater difficulty. Please update accordingly :3

Currently I'm finishing part 2 of my Pilgrim lore series so I will become active in the RP during the weekend if that's OK. 

Not sure if Faolan has a solution to the ongoing menace though. At best he can think of explosions. He would need an update on the situation, but maybe with some hacking and dust he can help jam the threat. 

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 20, 2019, 11:04:47 PM

Name: Ignatov Lyosha

Race: Human (Vaulter / Aurigan)

Areas of Expertise: Negotiation & Procurement of Goods & Services, Arms & Armor Maintenance, Close Quarters Combat (CQC), Fire Arms Proficient, Piloting (Small Craft), Engineering & Minor Ship Maintenance.

Personality: Charismatic and chipper, Lyosha is known throughout the ship as being the go-to-guy when you need something in a pinch. He is also never one to back down from a challenge when presented with one and is always willing to discuss a variety of topics with people at length. Preferably over a drink or two.

Bio: The only child of a renowned mercantile family, Lyosha was schooled from a young age in the ways of trade and deal-making, learning how to negotiate for goods from across Auriga. As Lyosha grew older his natural charisma and ease with which he was able to connect with people earned him the respect of his peers and pride of his parents. With the eventual passing of his parents in his late 20s during a ‘phage attack prior to the Vaulters departure from Auriga, Lyosha was more than ready to take on the mantle of his family’s business. 

A new frontier meant new challenges; and though he quickly realized that a lot of his previously learned social nuances were seemingly universal, the lesson of the new dangers posed in the depths of space came hard to him. No more so than during one fateful transaction with representatives of the Lumeris. It was during this exchange that Lyosha, caught in the cross-fire between two warring factions, found himself exposed to pure Dust when the cannister he had been looking to barter for was hit.

His mind seemingly sharper and his natural charisma enhanced for the exposure to Dust, Lyosha was soon approached by the patrons of the Savior expedition and asked to come on board as their procurements officer, a challenge Lyosha gladly took to. 

----------------

Been dragged (willingly!) out of lurking by my fiance after they told me about what y'all were doing here. Not my best work ever but I'm mid-way through a long work week. So if anything needs altering please do let me know and I'll see to it as soon as possible.

Otherwise thank you for your consideration and I'm happy to be here.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 21, 2019, 12:00:59 AM

StormAngel

im planning to post soon and jump back into the convo between alice and valorum.

Can you bring me up to speed on the what you were talking about when Mantovani left

on another note, we are getting a lot of new humans onboard recently... 

then again the cast was quite exotic to begin with.

despite that, they still dont compare to i, mantoavni hb7 laboran: the most magnificent being on this exploration ship.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 22, 2019, 8:16:37 PM

Taken another stab at my profile - one because I'm not nearly as sleep deprived as I were when I first wrote it and felt I could do better, and two it's been a couple of days with no response. I have an idea for switching him to a Lumeris if that would be more agreeable with people but need to co-ordinate some lore details with the help of my partner.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Feb 23, 2019, 1:31:49 AM

i wouldnt worry about switching it... yet.

Alien@system dictates whether a charcter is aproved or not.

As for the time delay, it can vary massively. sometimes replys occur within minutes. at times months.

patience is key.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment