Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Endless Space Forum RP [Recruitment]

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 20, 2016, 11:55:15 AM
Nibot wrote:

Is that in Alice's character or role? In what circumstance would she become captain?

Just curious.

She has captained before (as a pirate) but she'd likely only take charge if she had no choice in the matter.   She doesn't want to be TOO much in the spotlight.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 20, 2016, 3:22:11 PM

Cool, thanks for the replies and clearing up the confusion everyone! I will get to drawing right away! (Althought the maps probably wont look super professional.)

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 20, 2016, 3:36:57 PM
BG123 wrote:

Is there room for one more? 

Apologies for taking a while, I know it's been weeks but I've been kept busy by events outside of my control.

I decided on a Sheredyn character, and have a very detailed description ready to post if you can abide another person.

Technically yes, but it might be a few weeks until the character can actually physically join, based on what Cat's doing. Also, we don't know yet whether there'll be an opening at the Captain's position, in engineering or among the bridge crew, depending on who manages to not volunteer the least.

Also, if you think that events like that might happen again in the future, please reconsider whether you're good to join. We're already in a situation where there's supposed to be a tense moment between three people that all only post like once per week. It makes things awkward for the rest of us.

But you can still post the Character and I'll go over it. Sheredyn are in the "I'm not going to say yes right away" pile anyway.

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 20, 2016, 5:28:12 PM
You're already on my guy's nice list if Ricard is Sheredyn. I hope we've got enough room for you!
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 20, 2016, 7:41:43 PM

My question to Alien was which picture I should base my ship design on. There were two pictures. Do you want me to draw it off:

This one?

Let's call this guy Number One for the answers

Or this one?

Let's call this guy Number Two for the answers

Aren't those the same?

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 21, 2016, 3:09:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback on the RP forum, Zennock. It's really good to know I give off the right vibe.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 21, 2016, 7:03:20 AM

@BG123:

That bio is about five paragraphs too long. It doesn't tell me anything I need to know and way too much that I don't need. "He's a career Sheredyn and got exposed to Dust during a salvage operation." That's about the only relevant information in there. The rest of the words would have been better off not being written, because then you wouldn't have muddled up the Sheredyn lore with your own stuff. We all know who the Sheredyn are, and if not, we can look it up.

Secondly, full disclosure of the Saviour's status to a different power? That is not something the Pilgrims will agree to, and it's not something the Sheredyn can not mention during contract negotiations when there is an NDA agreement to be signed. The unbending Sheredyn integrity, which makes them never back out of an agreement, is something that cuts both ways. They're specifically in that second row because any bio has to make sure it cuts the right one.

@Zennock:

So I guess my Crew Roster with clickable pictures linking to everyone's bio is just Scotch mist.

@Zennock, second thing:

That post over in roleplaying, consisting of nothing but a quote and an OOC remark? Delete it.

That is exactly what the Roleplay thread is not there for. If you really just want to comment on somebody's OOC question without posting any roleplay actions, do it over in this thread.

In that sense,

@Nibot:
Short posts are good. If you just post large, ten-minute summaries of what your character is doing, you have no chance to interact with anyone. And I want people to interact. Otherwise we're just nine guys each writing their own novel in a common thread. (Which I've also seen people think Forum RP means, but that's really not it. The point of any roleplay is to interact.)

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 21, 2016, 12:32:18 PM
Alien@System wrote:

@BG123:

That bio is about five paragraphs too long. It doesn't tell me anything I need to know and way too much that I don't need. "He's a career Sheredyn and got exposed to Dust during a salvage operation." That's about the only relevant information in there. The rest of the words would have been better off not being written, because then you wouldn't have muddled up the Sheredyn lore with your own stuff. We all know who the Sheredyn are, and if not, we can look it up.

Secondly, full disclosure of the Saviour's status to a different power? That is not something the Pilgrims will agree to, and it's not something the Sheredyn can not mention during contract negotiations when there is an NDA agreement to be signed. The unbending Sheredyn integrity, which makes them never back out of an agreement, is something that cuts both ways. They're specifically in that second row because any bio has to make sure it cuts the right one.

@Zennock:

So I guess my Crew Roster with clickable pictures linking to everyone's bio is just Scotch mist.

@Zennock, second thing:

That post over in roleplaying, consisting of nothing but a quote and an OOC remark? Delete it.

That is exactly what the Roleplay thread is not there for. If you really just want to comment on somebody's OOC question without posting any roleplay actions, do it over in this thread.

In that sense,

@Nibot:
Short posts are good. If you just post large, ten-minute summaries of what your character is doing, you have no chance to interact with anyone. And I want people to interact. Otherwise we're just nine guys each writing their own novel in a common thread. (Which I've also seen people think Forum RP means, but that's really not it. The point of any roleplay is to interact.)

Whorry shit. I didn't know you can click on them because it was a dropbox link. :[

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 21, 2016, 2:52:21 PM

Sorry alien, but I'm going to be busier thanI had originally anticipated this week. I don't want to hold up the thread so if you need to move past the storage room thing I give my permission to you to write my actions out for it so that the captain can move on. Just have my guy work in the background or something. I should be able to post again some time in the next 3 or 4 days.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 21, 2016, 4:16:12 PM
BlackBird1696 wrote:

Sorry alien, but I'm going to be busier thanI had originally anticipated this week. I don't want to hold up the thread so if you need to move past the storage room thing I give my permission to you to write my actions out for it so that the captain can move on. Just have my guy work in the background or something. I should be able to post again some time in the next 3 or 4 days.

Alright mate. Hope things go well for you.

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 21, 2016, 9:44:36 PM
LordDarkon wrote:

You can click on the pictures? Wow o.o

This Crew Roster makes a lot more sense now...

AngelicStorm wrote:

It never occurred to me to try that.

Mind = Blown

Lol.

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 22, 2016, 3:04:36 AM

About how the RP is going, I personally love it. While I can't say that it's very interactive as RPs are supposed to be I love how the descriptions are livid and we get to explore the story from each character's angle. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 22, 2016, 6:31:57 AM
Zennock wrote:

Alien@System must be face-palming so hard.

Mostly because you just quoted again in the RP thread. Please don't do that. Anyone who's read the thread will know where your character is and who he is replying to. It's just unnecessary repetition.

BG123 wrote:

Sure I may have written 'too much' (if there is even such a thing) but it was done to flesh out the character. Besides, his detailed backstory would have cropped up somewhere in the RP.

You can write a novel as a back-story for your character if you want, it will certainly help you flesh out the character. However, for the bio, you can't expect people (like all those who just discovered the magic of proper svg markups) to have to read through that novel to get a handle on that character. There would also be the information leech: If it's in your bio, even people who care about player/character separation might just think it's public knowledge. Therefore, the more of a character's development you've written in the bio, the less you can develop them through the RP.

BG123 wrote:

Then there's the second issue of Ricards being sent (as well as a 'useful' kind of representative) with the intention to essentially spy. In this case, it's a matter of how one interprets the Sheredyn since they're a relatively non lore-heavy faction.

I'd be happy to have a more detailed discussion on them, but to be brief; I doubt it would be unfathomable for there to be a few rarities such as Ricards in the Sheredyn. From a pragmatic point of view, it is necessary to carry out intelligence gathering on both allies and enemies.

After going through the ES hero list again I have to admit that precedence is in your favor. I  guess it's just me having problems imagining a honorable faction (I mean, when the leader backs out of a deal, the entire population immediately hates him) as spying on people.

Still, those extra elements of RP that you think it adds might just be lots of outrage about the betrayal when people find out.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 22, 2016, 12:00:15 PM
BG123 wrote:

Speaking of which- what rank would you reckon he is?

There's four scenarios right now about what happens once Yerem steps down:

1. Alice becomes Captain. She's the least controversial option, as she has previous experience and is more or less unaffiliated with any political or religious faction. In that case, Zeros would replace her as Chief Engineer, Ylona would move into Engineering as Navigator/Pilot, Valorum moves up to 1st Mate and Ricards enters as 2nd Mate.
  2. Ylona becomes Captain, despite not having previous experience. While possible, it's not an option I'd personally like. In that case, Valorum moves up to 1st and Ricards enters as 2nd Mate.
  3. Valorum becomes Captain. As written above, while a good fit, the difference in religion would make it unlikely the Pilgrim leadership would approve this. In that case, Ricards enters as 1st Mate, as Ylona would step down to 2nd since she has less experience.
  4. Ricards is the replacement Captain. It's possible, although we'd need to assume that the Pilgrims and the Sheredyn are very close allies in our galaxy. In that case, Ylona would also move down to 2nd Mate to make space for the more experienced Valorum.

I think that's the four options currently on the table. Which of those it will be should probably be discussed soon.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment