Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Endless Space Forum RP [Recruitment]

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 22, 2016, 8:14:12 PM
Alien@System wrote:

Still, those extra elements of RP that you think it adds might just be lots of outrage about the betrayal when people find out.

Especially Valorum. I mean, he's spent his entire career (which is anything between a few decades and a century, since the Vodyani are a synthetic race now and basically immortal as a result) seeing the Sheredyn as the dolphins among the other races that swim in the galactic sea; lower than him, but a far way above the others. Recently, he's even come to respect humans, especially Sheredyn, as equals to the Vodyani, which is a HUGE departure from others of his kind, but a Sheredyn ally being dishonest could drastically shake his relatively progressive view of the galaxy.

However, I'm not saying that would be a bad situation. In fact, I'd relish if that was an incident later on; the unfolding drama as a result of it would be incredible to role-play through. In fact:

BG123 wrote:

Ideally, I would prefer to be 2nd Mate if possible.

If the boot fits, you can have it. When I made Valorum, I kind of thought he'd be in a position where he's not mechanically important to the crew, per se, but respected for having the most experience. So I'm okay if Valorum is shunted down on the hierarchy if it makes room for Ricards.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 23, 2016, 4:46:22 PM

@Alien

I recently thought about the future role of Dhanyl on the Saviour and I grew a little unhappy with the thought of "just" being an astronomer. 

I see Dhanyl more like an all-round-science-package. On the Enterprise, he would be one of the blue shirts who is sent on planets if the Captain thinks there could be something of Interest down there.

His main field would still be Astrology, but I feel like his vast corpus of knowledge would be a bit wasted if he would be just sitting on te ship and studying gas clouds.

In short, I want for him a job with more outside missions and more variety.

If you could do something about that, that would be really great.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 23, 2016, 6:20:26 PM
AngelicStorm wrote:

If the boot fits, you can have it. When I made Valorum, I kind of thought he'd be in a position where he's not mechanically important to the crew, per se, but respected for having the most experience. So I'm okay if Valorum is shunted down on the hierarchy if it makes room for Ricards.

BG123 wrote:

I didn't mean to usurp your position, it would actually be better if Valorum retained his position as 1st or 2nd Mate as opposed to Ricards. 

Alien@System, would it be possible to create a new position aboard the ship for Ricards if no other option was available?

If you didn't want to get a leading position, you shouldn't have made characters that have such extensive leadership experience. Also, if I allow you two to shirk away from those positions, we're left with no bridge crew at all. You might have other positions as well, but that doesn't get you out of being in a leadership position for a third of the time each.

Honestly, don't we already have enough troubles with everyone trying to find a reason not to be Captain, do we need to anti-volunteer for 1st and 2nd Mate, too? It's not even like those positions come with that much extra responsibility, it's just a bit of bonus authority in addition to whatever job you want to do on the side.

LordDarkon wrote:

Dhanyl is a blue shirt, and he will be sent out on planets to analyze stuff there. It's just that "Astronomy and Anomaly Expert" is way too many letters to fit onto the crew roster. Just putting him down as "Scientist" would've made my inner pedant feel very annoyed, so I went with the field that covers his expertise best.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 23, 2016, 7:18:41 PM

It's not that I didn't want Valorum in a leading position on the ship in the first place; it's just that compared to Ricards, Val probably would have been seen as less fit for the second mate post and for good reason; Valorum doesn't exactly flaunt his history as a Vodyani Admiral. I mean, the job implies some pretty unspeakable stuff, especially compared to military service for Pilgrims and Sophons. If anything, his resume for the job on the Saviour just has some vague allusions to being in an administrative position, like 'leadership experience', 'crew management' and 'fleet coordination logistics'. Hell, if asked directly about his past, Val probably said he was an 'envoy on behalf of the Vodyani Church' and left it at that.

Yeah, Val isn't squeamish about saying he worked for the Church of the Virtual Saints and managed multiple ships, but he's hesitant to explicitly say 'I'm a former high-admiral who's led dozens of bloody military campaigns in orbital and terrestrial theatres and secured peace with a whole wing of the galaxy on behalf of the Vodyani Hierarchy'. Putting someone like that high in the command structure of the Saviour is like assigning a fundamentalist Christian to co-chair your department of science; severely against your self-interest, and it would probably get Val kicked off the mission without a second thought. So instead, he's deliberately vague about his past, but not entirely untruthful. Him being the second mate would still be justified, but just lacking in full context, leaving the door open for someone with more transparent past experience to be put higher on the ladder than him.

In the end, you make the final call because you're the DM. I was just trying to find a way to fit Ricards onto the crew without having to kick anyone off. Regardless, the chain of command looks like it's shifting anyway. So, with Ylona being the temporary captain, now Valorum's the acting 1st mate?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 23, 2016, 9:03:20 PM
Alien@System wrote:

LordDarkon wrote:

Dhanyl is a blue shirt, and he will be sent out on planets to analyze stuff there. It's just that "Astronomy and Anomaly Expert" is way too many letters to fit onto the crew roster. Just putting him down as "Scientist" would've made my inner pedant feel very annoyed, so I went with the field that covers his expertise best.

Oh, okay :)

I think you could have written something under the name like with most of the crew, like: 

Astronomer

Dhanyl Abmaha

Anomaly Expert

Whatever.

By the way, I have absolutely no experience with captening (yes, that's a word now) but if there really is no one else who want's to be Captain, Dhanyl could possibly be quallified for this position, I think. In the absolutely worst case. Like really, really, absolutely worst doomsday scenario.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 23, 2016, 9:33:16 PM

Decius can become a mate. He can also be the captain if you want. He has one goal, to get to Tor. He is a Bishop, after all, and used to commanding troops. This might lead to discontentment considering he is a living, breathing flying purple people eater, but he can and will fill the position. It's just another option that no one's thrown out and although farfetched it might be fun to try.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 24, 2016, 6:52:59 PM
LordDarkon wrote:

I think you could have written something under the name like with most of the crew

Technically, those things under the name are supposed to be other ranks that this person also holds due to there not being enough people. However, since I've given Zeros a second line, I've granted you one, too.

Also, BG123, you're approved. I guess I forgot to mention that over the discussion of the new captain. Ricard's currently up in the first row of the roster because I didn't want to re-scale the viewbox. Please nobody get confused by that, it doesn't mean he's your superior. Once the rank structure has been sorted out, he'll be shuffled somewhere down.

If you write a coming-aboard post, we can move this discussion of rank from OOC to IC, since then all candidates for the new bridge crew are present.

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 25, 2016, 10:39:12 AM

If I may share my opinions on the current situation of the role play, I would say that I love the direction it is going. Although I cannot say it is a role-play that completely stick to its roots, I love how it plays out very similarly to a book or a descriptive piece of writing. People spent more time on improving and refining their writing and descriptions and because of that, it's an absolute joy to go through the posts and read them. As said before, it feels like a book but a important feature is that I am also a character in it. Kudos to Alien@System for creating the roleplay. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 25, 2016, 3:50:10 PM

Same. I've been in nearly a dozen roleplays, online and IRL, and all the good ones feel just like this one; where the players and the GM are all authors writing a story.

And sorry about the RP faux-pas. I meant to call Laudmas 'disheveled' rather than 'dismayed', but my phones autocorrect must have kicked in. I was also afraid you were having trouble with the hook Dhanyl gave you, since a day passed and you didn't reply, so I tried casting out another line to see if that would help.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 25, 2016, 3:57:46 PM

Ah, alright. Just make sure not to repeat it; I'll try to do the same too. Also, about me being inactive for a day, I often study a lot and don't have much free time  on certain days. However, I'll try to at least get a single post at-least once per day. As mentioned, I do love the role-play and won't likely forget about it. Sorry for being inactive during that time, I suppose you were excited to continue. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 25, 2016, 4:47:28 PM

I was. As you can see, Valorum has a lot of work ahead of him if he's going to be preaching aboard the Saviour.

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 25, 2016, 5:32:01 PM

You know how you made Dhanyl pause and suggested that Laudmas could step in during that pause? That's a hook, like a fishing hook; it's a term used by improv actors who make up what they do on the spot. 'Throwing a hook' or 'giving a hook' is giving someone a chance to step in and say something.

Basically, I was concerned that Zennock was having some trouble thinking of how to step in by using the hook you wrote, so I wrote a comment with a different hook to see if that would help.

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 25, 2016, 8:49:12 PM

@ all of you 

Are some of my posts too short? Compared to others many of my posts are very short, what do you guy's think about that?

@BG123 

I think that's a great first post :)

But I would have liked to hear the rest of the Joke ._.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 26, 2016, 2:00:17 AM

To be honest, I always think my posts are too long. I wish I could post one or two paragraphs like you do, but I try cramming as much detail in as possible instead and it just works for me.

Oh, and I think I've heard that joke before:

'A Sophon, a Vodyani, and a Craver all walk into a bar. Only one of them walked out aalive. Later that evening, the story about an interracial brawl at the same bar was circulating across the news channels and reached the household of the survivor. The wife watched the story as her husband cleaned what he said was 'red paint' off his clothes in the other room. She wasn't concerned before she realized her husband was at that same bar when the fight occurred. When she asked if he was alright, the Mavros in the other room replied: "Yeah, funny story. See, I decided to wear white and blue today, just to mix things up...'"

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 26, 2016, 9:49:29 AM
LordDarkon wrote:

Sorry, my English vocabulary has some Holes . What do you mean by Hook?

Hook is a very entertaining and wonderful film.

But if you want the serious response, AngelicStorm explained it pretty well. It's basically an opportunity for another person to commit. 

Also, about your posts being short. I don't mind it at all. The only problems I have are typos, but those are minor and in short, I wouldn't care to too much about them.

AngelicStorm wrote:

To be honest, I always think my posts are too long. I wish I could post one or two paragraphs like you do, but I try cramming as much detail in as possible instead and it just works for me.

Oh, and I think I've heard that joke before:

'A Sophon, a Vodyani, and a Craver all walk into a bar. Only one of them walked out aalive. Later that evening, the story about an interracial brawl at the same bar was circulating across the news channels and reached the household of the survivor. The wife watched the story as her husband cleaned what he said was 'red paint' off his clothes in the other room. She wasn't concerned before she realized her husband was at that same bar when the fight occurred. When she asked if he was alright, the Mavros in the other room replied: "Yeah, funny story. See, I decided to wear white and blue today, just to mix things up...'"

I encourage you to keep on doing so. As said before, it's an absolute blast to go through your posts.  

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 26, 2016, 11:14:50 PM

I'm still waiting on an answer to what kind of armament the vessel has mounted on it currently. I would assume it has the regular mid to long range lasers and missile options, but I am not well versed in the ship mounted weapons of Endless Space 2 yet. Anyone else have input? If not, I'll just assume lasers and missiles.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment