Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Favorite Sci-Fi/Space Opera Book Series

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 22, 2012, 12:33:27 PM
Currently reading a Space Opera called The Reality Dysfunction Series by Peter F. Hamilton. Very good book, very in depth and huge. each book is about 1000pgs. Have a very hard time finding any decent sci-fi books. It's usually just Fiction(alternate reality) or fantasy. I'm writing a Sci-fi/fantasy at the time as well, Overactive Imagination at work. Anyways, anyone able to suggest some decent Sci-fi, Space Opera series books for Kindle Fire. Oh and Would the Aliens, Predator, and Alien Vs. Predator series be considered Space Opera?
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 4:50:14 AM
Zenicetus wrote:
Alastair Reynolds' "Revelation Space" series.

I grew up reading Asimov and all the older classics, then Larry Niven. Reynolds is the author that fills that Space Opera niche as a modern author, for me personally.

I would love to see a game that used the relativistic, years-long space battle mechanics of the Revelation Space series, or Reynold's other books and short stories (which are almost all very good). Or the combat in the two "Motie" books by Niven and Pournelle... instead of the way space combat looks like a WW2 air combat or naval engagement in almost all space games.

This comment sums up everything you need to know to answer this question.

Plus anything by Peter F. Hamilton
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 3:06:49 AM
So far I only read the books of the X Series.

X - Farnhams Legend

X2 - Nopileos

X3 - Yoshiko

X3 - Gate Keepers

X3 - Earths Guardians

(or however the last two books titles have been translated into english).

Awesome about the books is that they are backed up by huge and awesome games with an as well huge and awesome story.

By the way, I made a group for everyone who knows the X Series: http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/group.php?groupid=87

Speaking about books, there's gotta be some books about Endless Space in the future!

Made a thread about the idea to keep it around when the time is right to think about a book for Endless Space: /#/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/11869-suggestion-endless-space-books
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 1:51:45 AM
If we're talking about series and not just single books, then in approximate order:

1.) Isaac Asimov's Foundation series

2.) David Weber's Honor Harrington series

3.) Timothy Zahn's Star Wars Thrawn trilogy

4.) Isaac Asimov's Robot series

5.) Timothy Zahn's Conquerors trilogy

6.) Michael A. Stackpole's & Aaron Allston's Star Wars X-wing series

I can't say anything yet on Orson Scott Card's Enders series. However, I enjoyed Ender's Game, and have just started Shadows of the Hegemon for the first time.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 10:20:12 PM
The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton because its one of those series that remind me of Endless Space!
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 1:32:56 PM
One of my favorite sci-fi/space opera series is the Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green.

The Foundation series is a classic.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 1:23:50 PM
My favorite sci-fi books are:

Series of novels Mark Stone by French author Jean-Pierre Garen.

For the last half year I'm reading series Honor Harrington by David Weber and I must say that is awesome too.

On the other way, I am more into fantasy novels than sci-fi. To summarize it, I didn't read that much sci-fi stuff. :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 12:42:07 PM
I read the Dath Bane Star Wars books last.

And to who loves endless stories... Perry Rhodan is always fun to read. Its I think the only scifi series that goes over 3 millenia (i might be wrong with this, but at least its the only one i know) Its definitely the longest running scifi series in the world (they started writing 1961)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 7:57:46 AM
I'm sorry, I have to say it... The Halo books aren't too shabby, they're quick to read and give the games the needed flesh to make them decent.

My real answer however is a two-part series by Dan Simmons: Ilium and Olympos. I've also heard good things about the Hyperion series so if anyone's read it already, let me know. smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 7:43:41 AM
Some Star Wars expanded universe series like X Wing and the Thrawn trilogy (really anything by Mike Stackpole, Aaron Allston, or Timothy Zahn) get me in a zomg pew pew space battles kind of mood.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 7:08:33 AM
My favorit sci fi books are the Foundation trilogy(was 5 in the end) by Isac Asimov. He made a version of Roman Empire Rise and fall version in a way. Focusing on that Empire that expand anymore gonna collapse on its own weight in the end. If I remember it right he published the book in the 1940-50.

A favorite passage in the thrilogy is his invention on the name of not yet invented VHS/CDrom, he called it "Bookfilms". As I got a whole bookshelf with old VHS( some 200) I can relate to this "Bookfilm" name creation.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 6:34:47 AM
Anything Heinlein! smiley: smile

And if you like military SF....

John Ringo (March Series, Posleen Series)

John Campbell (Lost Fleet Series)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 6:26:18 AM
Haven't read the older SciFi books that much. Been thinking about reading the Dune series for a while now.

Have read pretty much every book from Alastair Reynolds and Iain M. Banks. Currently reading A Deepness In The Sky from Vernor Vinge and rereading Pushing Ice. For some reason I like Pushing Ice a lot.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 4:01:57 AM
I don't suppose I can list tabletop references I grew up playing with friends? Non? Well I was always a fan of H.G. Wells and Ray Bradberry even if the later thought television was going to destroy the world.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment