Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Favorite Sci-Fi/Space Opera Book Series

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 1:05:42 AM
Alastair Reynolds' "Revelation Space" series.

I grew up reading Asimov and all the older classics, then Larry Niven. Reynolds is the author that fills that Space Opera niche as a modern author, for me personally.

I would love to see a game that used the relativistic, years-long space battle mechanics of the Revelation Space series, or Reynold's other books and short stories (which are almost all very good). Or the combat in the two "Motie" books by Niven and Pournelle... instead of the way space combat looks like a WW2 air combat or naval engagement in almost all space games.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 12:33:02 AM
i think the scifi books that i liked the most from the ones that i have read is Roadside picnic and childhoods end. i kinda Like my science fiction a bit more on the terrestrial side.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 9:11:13 PM
Hyperion is by far one of the best series I have read, alongside the Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin Anderson
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 11:38:40 AM
Dune is a masterpiece.

Hyperion and Endymion by Dan Simmons are also great books.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 7:22:38 AM
Foundation Series, even though I haven't finished it yet. I'm holding out for a rainy day to finish the rest of the books.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 12:10:02 AM
I gotta go with some less known indie authors from Amazon's Kindle market place.

B.V Larson's Starforce series

Earth is attacked by mysterious silver ships and they're the good guys. (great military SF series available in eBook format from amazon)

Christopher L. Anderson's Alexander Galaxsus series

What if humans are the strongest (physically), most aggressive militarist species in the Galaxy? Basically humans find out they are the Klingons of a peacful galaxy and many epic space battles ensues in particular the space battle at the end of the third book. Probably one of the more original books I've read and one of the races is like an evil version of the Sophon. Only problem is it sometimes is annoyingly preachy and conservative. (also available as an eBook).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 8:45:39 PM
BloodyKitten wrote:
I've also heard good things about the Hyperion series so if anyone's read it already, let me know. smiley: biggrin

One of the best books in existence. Out of the hundreds of books I've read in my young life I consider this as one of the top 3. I think it was Stephen King who said he's envious of Dan Simmons Writing-Skill - "he writes like a god".
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 11:00:54 AM
Enders game, and Bio of a space tyrant. I really only read fantasy but those books where amazing
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 3:39:57 PM
Asimov's works (really what sci-fi fan hasn't read it :P ), A Fire upon the Deep, Ender's Game, Hitch hiker's guide to the Galaxy (well kinda sci-fi but an awesome read nonetheless). Gotta read Dune series though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 1:10:15 AM
Great thread! Some really good suggestions here for me to read on my work breaks. smiley: biggrin

To answer the question, I also have to say Asimov's Foundation series, Ender's Saga, and the first few Dune books.

I am also rather fond of Jack L. Chalker's Well World Saga.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 12:13:26 AM
Playing in all this Endless Space is making me hungry for re-reading some of my old favorite Book Series. List out some of your favorite series and second other's favorites (that are yours too)!

Here are my top series:

• Honor Harrington Series by David Weber

• Fan of all non-spinoff books 1992-2010

• Ender's Game Series by Orson Scott Card (only the books listed did I care for)

• Ender's Game, (1985)
    • Speaker for the Dead, (1986)
    • Xenocide, (1991)
    • Children of the Mind, (1996)

• Vatta's War Series by Elizabeth Moon

• Trading in Danger, (2003)
    • Marque and Reprisal, (2004)
    • Engaging the Enemy, (2006)
    • Command Decision, (2007)
    • Victory Conditions, (2008)

• Realtime/Bobble Series by Vernor Vinge

• The Peace War, (1984)
    • The Ungoverned, (1985)
    • Marooned in Realtime, (1986)

• Zones of Thought Series by Vernor Vinge (by far one of my favorites)

• A Fire Upon the Deep, (1992)
    • A Deepness in the Sky, (1999)
    • The Children of the Sky, (2011)

• Starfist Series by Cpl David Sherman (USMC - Retired) & SGM Dan Cragg (US Army - Retired)

• First to Fight (1997)
    • School of Fire, (1998)
    • Steel Gauntlet, (1999)
    • Blood Contact, (1999)
    • TechnoKill, (2000)
    • Hangfire, (2000)
    • Kingdom's Swords, (2002)
    • Kingdom's Fury, (2003)
    • Lazarus Rising, (2003)
    • A World of Hurt, (2004)
    • Flashfire, (2006)
    • Firestorm, (2007)
    • Wings of Hell, (2008)
    • Double Jeopardy, (2009)

• StarFist: Force Recon Saga by Cpl David Sherman (USMC - Retired) & SGM Dan Cragg (US Army - Retired)

• Backshot, (2005)
    • Pointblank, (2006)
    • Recoil, (2008)

0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 2:24:00 AM
Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, classic, with all its psychohistory and things. smiley: biggrin

Granted I enjoyed David Weber's 'Armageddon Inheritance" and one of the Tor books that I picked up from the library.

Not so much space that I've seen yet, but the Belisarius saga by David Drake and Eric Flint is turning out quite well. (Been out for a while, only got to volume 3, so shhh...)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 1:13:49 AM
My favorite Sci-Fi book have for years been:

[TABLE="width:732"] "In Fury Born", by David Weber

Imperial Intelligence couldn't find them, the Imperial Fleet couldn't catch them, and local defenses couldn't stop them. It seemed the planet-wrecking pirates were invincible. But they made a big mistake when they raided ex-commando leader Alicia DeVries' quiet home work, tortured and murdered her family, and then left her for dead. Alicia decided to turn "pirate" herself, and stole a cutting-edge AI ship from the Empire to start her vendetta. Her fellow veterans think she's gone crazy, the Imperial Fleet has shoot-on-sight orders. And of course the pirates want her dead, too. But Alicia DeVries has two allies nobody knows about, allies as implacable as she is: a self-aware computer, and a creature from the mists of Old Earth's most ancient legends. And this trio of furies won't rest until vengeance is served.

[/TABLE]

0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 9:41:15 PM
Second Honor Harrington series by David Weber, but I love the spin-offs almost as much (especially Shadow of Saganami)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 9:34:44 PM
Zenicetus wrote:
Alastair Reynolds' "Revelation Space" series.

I grew up reading Asimov and all the older classics, then Larry Niven. Reynolds is the author that fills that Space Opera niche as a modern author, for me personally.

I would love to see a game that used the relativistic, years-long space battle mechanics of the Revelation Space series, or Reynold's other books and short stories (which are almost all very good). Or the combat in the two "Motie" books by Niven and Pournelle... instead of the way space combat looks like a WW2 air combat or naval engagement in almost all space games.

What do recommend that is similar to Alastair Reynolds? I read all of Alastair Reynolds books. I know he has another one coming out in July. Any suggestions? I love Hard Sci- Fi
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 1:30:04 PM
No mention of Solaris or anything by Stanislaw Lem? I'm disappointed in you guys :P.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 12:59:07 PM
I second anything by Robert Heinlein:

- The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (just brilliant)

- Stranger in a Strange Land (groundbreaking and way ahead of it's time)

- Starship Troopers (not at all like the movie and is actually fascinating)

Also, Kim Stanley Robinson's Mar's Trilogy
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment