Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

StarDrive Pre-Order & Beta Access

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 22, 2013, 12:32:21 PM
stasik28 wrote:
Yea, the AI is one of the main focuses right now. And the game is like a mix of Distant Worlds and Master of Orion. You need to worry more about planet resources like in MOO but it's gameplay is that of Worlds (thought I find this ship design a lot better than DW)

Reminds me of Armada 2526 smiley: biggrin Planet-support was a lot to do
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 22, 2013, 2:48:29 PM
Well both were published by Iceberg smiley: stickouttongue. Doesn't Armada 2526 have mechs for ground combat?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 22, 2013, 11:21:55 PM
stasik28 wrote:
Well both were published by Iceberg smiley: stickouttongue. Doesn't Armada 2526 have mechs for ground combat?

Many 4X games get/got published by Iceberg.

Yeah, it had ground combat too.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 23, 2013, 2:21:11 PM
Yea, Iceberg is making it their job to get as many 4X games published as possible. I for one agree with them smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 23, 2013, 2:52:37 PM
Stardrive got some things i like, animated diplomacy screens for example something that i'd love to see in ES, and some i dont with more important its not turn based.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 23, 2013, 5:22:37 PM
Nomas wrote:
Stardrive got some things i like, animated diplomacy screens for example something that i'd love to see in ES, and some i dont with more important its not turn based.

Honestly excactly the animations of Armada 2526 made me dislike the game - everytime your planets got inviaded, a scene of your people getting slaughtered.

And the animations for diplomacy weren't the burner too.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 22, 2013, 10:47:15 AM
ZZGashi wrote:
Understandable, especially number 2. Right now program optimizations are the current focus, so that the game runs smoothly and takes advantage of the power offered by modern hardware, as well as UI and general bug squashing. I am sure the AI will get some love in the upcoming weeks.

I enjoy StarDrive more than I do Distant Worlds, as I now find Distant Worlds kind of boring.

Mansen is right though, quality over quantity, I find myself not having that many colonies during the game.

Yea, the AI is one of the main focuses right now. And the game is like a mix of Distant Worlds and Master of Orion. You need to worry more about planet resources like in MOO but it's gameplay is that of Worlds (thought I find this ship design a lot better than DW)
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 23, 2013, 10:35:04 PM
Do note that he doesn't understand the mechanics entirely - hence the "lets try". So don't take all that he says as gospel - the beta forum is open to all though, so you can easily ask any questions there even if you don't own the game.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 3, 2013, 6:46:10 AM
Just played it through.

Early game is a jewel. Game runs like a dream, no CTD's or such. Ai is competent and punished me for my usual 4X early game colonization rush.

Late game became sluggish and was more about mechanically rolling up the remaining AI's and thus no fun.

There are still some beta-issues, none of which are nothing near the mentioned problems of Pegasus and SoTS2. More like balance issues, scout and freighter pathfinding problems and fleet management clunkiness.

What I like:

- Realistic planetary systems (This is NOT criticism of ES planetary systems screen)

- Space ship customization (Here you can use easily half an hour designing your ship, if you like)

- Space battles (no 3D, but nice, even though I'm not a RTS fan)

- Economy (simple, but interesting). Freighters and specialization of planets.

- Colony management (although late game ruins the fun out of this micromanagement. But this is a problem for all space 4X)

- No colonization rush (pick your targets, develop them)

- Exploration rewards

Dislikes:

- No victory conditions? "Kill all" makes late game tedious

- Fleet management isn't user friendly

- Sluggish in late game

- Balance issues

- Lack of interrace trade

All in all I would give 8,5 as ES gets a 9 from me.

NOTE: the game is still in beta so some issues above might be fixed before release.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 3, 2013, 6:57:45 AM
PekkaTa wrote:
Just played it through.

Early game is a jewel. Game runs like a dream, no CTD's or such. Ai is competent and punished me for my usual 4X early game colonization rush.

Late game became sluggish and was more about mechanically rolling up the remaining AI's and thus no fun.

There are still some beta-issues, none of which are nothing near the mentioned problems of Pegasus and SoTS2. More like balance issues, scout and freighter pathfinding problems and fleet management clunkiness.

What I like:

- Realistic planetary systems (This is NOT criticism of ES planetary systems screen)

- Space ship customization (Here you can use easily half an hour designing your ship, if you like)

- Space battles (no 3D, but nice, even though I'm not a RTS fan)

- Economy (simple, but interesting). Freighters and specialization of planets.

- Colony management (although late game ruins the fun out of this micromanagement. But this is a problem for all space 4X)

- No colonization rush (pick your targets, develop them)

- Exploration rewards

Dislikes:

- No victory conditions? "Kill all" makes late game tedious

- Fleet management isn't user friendly

- Sluggish in late game

- Balance issues

- Lack of interrace trade

All in all I would give 8,5 as ES gets a 9 from me.

NOTE: the game is still in beta so some issues above might be fixed before release.

Oh well, thanks for the info. smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 3, 2013, 3:49:46 PM
I have to correct you there - Trade with other races is entirely possible. In fact it is a abbreviated as trade is in Endless Space.

Meaning an initial running cost to starting up relations, and then a growing income - an income which is more or less mandatory if you want to expand quickly.smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 6, 2013, 12:39:12 AM
stasik28 wrote:
Everyone is saying that haha. And why is more refined worse? :P I tried Distant worlds but have given up and are currently watching LP's to understand what is going on in it haha, this would be good practice
DIstant worlds might be a deep game, but it's ugly. I mean f'n ugly. In this day and age to put out such an ugly product is beyond me. Star Drive looks like DW, but much cleaner. It reminds me of Star Control 2 in appearance.

I refuse to pay for ugly. I also refuse to pay for pretty garbage, hence the reason why I will never preorder a game again. I've been burned enough times to have finally learned my lesson.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 17, 2013, 8:04:31 PM
Mansen wrote:
Just bought the game myself - It is incredibly ruthless and unforgiving. On easy I actually managed to make everyone wardec me in the first 10 minutes or so. smiley: sweat

Initial verdict: Learning curve as steep as a ladder.

Seems to be challenging.

But maybe I'll look into it after my exams are done.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment