Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Spore revival

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Aug 12, 2013, 10:51:21 PM
Divine_Moments_of_Truth wrote:
If they make a sequel it's going to be even more terrible.

Technically they already did - if you don't count the expansions, there is Darkspore (which is actually decently fun).

But yeah, SimCity was pure stupid. It looked like a game I would love, and then they zoomed out smiley: stickouttongue

I just hope that another game looks at what Spore could have been and says, "We can do that." It feels like most of the five stages were just filler leading up to the Space Stage, and the Space Stage was supposed to be awesome because it had the largest galaxy ever in a videogame, but they just didn't know what to do with all those systems. If another game can do the Spore space stage, and do it better, it could easily be one of the best games ever.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 14, 2013, 12:17:14 AM
Tredecim wrote:
I like your stages, Spacer smiley: biggrin

Thanks! I have made some minor modifications in the text. I also put some images for each stage, but it reached maximum limit before I could finish, so a scrapped it.

Anyway, there are some chances that EA will remake Spore. They're remaking Star Wars: Battlefront, after all...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 14, 2013, 4:35:49 AM
Well... DICE is, EA is just publishing it, and knowing them they're going to put some horrible standards that'll make it... OK....
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 15, 2013, 10:55:23 PM
stasik28 wrote:
Well... DICE is, EA is just publishing it, and knowing them they're going to put some horrible standards that'll make it... OK....

Unfortunately, yeah.. at least for now.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 22, 2013, 6:29:27 PM
Tredecim wrote:
Well, the most fun was creating the creatures and laughting at them smiley: stickouttongue

Well after I played the entire game and it became boring, the only fun thing I had to do with it was to look the ships and vehicles I created.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 4, 2013, 3:04:00 AM
Guys, I have three things to show you. The first two are videos of the 2006 version of Spore, a much better version than the one we have today. Here are the videos:

And now, the most important thing: a company called Revolutionary Games presented a Spore based game that is still in development. The game seems to be much better and more serious than Spore. Here's the promotional video:

This new upcoming indie game needs attention!

The link for the official website of the game is on the description of the video. I will not put it here because I don't want you guys to be lazy and forget to read the video's description. So many images and concept art on the official website...

I'm having a nerdgasm!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 4, 2013, 9:21:54 AM
You are right, the "old" spore looks much better smiley: biggrin

Thrive seems to be nice too.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 6, 2013, 11:10:14 PM
stasik28 wrote:

The difference is that the DICE studio specifically asked to make the game, and EA was reluctant to give them the license (they didn't intend to use it). Since this is probably the only EA game ever that wasn't forced onto a developer, I still have hope.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 6, 2013, 11:16:20 PM
Yea, the 2006 version looked much better. I'll keep an eye on this other game you mentioned to see how it turns out.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 12, 2013, 8:50:33 PM
Spore had actual potential to become one of the best games ever.

But it was childish, overly simplistic and in most of space phase (the longes one) tedious and boring.

I can say I genuinely LOST money buying it.

If they make a sequel it's going to be even more terrible.

Just look what they've done to (my beloved) Sim City. Maxis is getting worse and worse.

All hope is lost...
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 13, 2013, 10:57:30 AM
I never tried Spore either at the time it did not appeal to me or could not afford to purchase it.

EA like buying studios and getting them to do a few games and then scrap them. I like some the games that Bullfrog had done. That why a lot of people were asking Microsoft to buy Bioware when EA came in brought the parent company. Pandemic Studios was disbanded not long after the deal after the release of Mercenaries 2 world in flames.

DarkMeph

(There could be mistakes in this post.)
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 13, 2013, 6:22:01 PM
That's what most publishers do. People like to focus on EA because they're the current scapegoat (admittedly with good reason), but don't let that convince you that Activision and THQ didn't/don't do similar things. Publishers hire developers to make games, and if those games aren't making more money than they cost to make and market, they're not going to pay that dev to make any more games.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 13, 2013, 7:31:46 PM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
Publishers hire developers to make games, and if those games aren't making more money than they cost to make and market, they're not going to pay that dev to make any more games.

That worked for decades but the problem now is that publishers force certain ideas, make devs focus on wrong aspects of their game ['whoneedsgood,satisfyinggameplay?here,nowyoucanpostachievementsonfacebook-that'smoreimportant!'] and genrally screw around with their overall image of how the game should look and feel like.

And most of people still buy it, out of habit, I presume.

I, for one, narrowed down my list of trustworthy publishers to around 6 of them.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 13, 2013, 8:10:48 PM
It's also lead to the appeal of indie titles and crowdsourcing. It's less likely people will make a game they would be ashamed of.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 15, 2013, 9:29:11 PM
Divine_Moments_of_Truth wrote:
That's just evil. (but that's it is these days)

Unfortunately, yes - hard times now.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 17, 2013, 5:56:42 AM
Tredecim wrote:
Unfortunately, yes - hard times now.

Less about hard times and more about EA's poor business practices coming back to bite them in their collective butts.

Anyhow, I have been thinking along the lines of others in this thread about Spore, essentially what happened is a decision was made to make the space stage of the game into an RPG to appeal to a wider causal audience, when it should have been a strategy game.

I have been toying on and off over the years with a Spore-like game that focuses on the development of the player's civilization. Hopefully Thrive will fulfill at least the majority of that idea.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment