Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

How do you see your nation in game?

Copied to clipboard!
4 years ago
Sep 23, 2020, 2:11:19 PM
deo wrote:

I feel like America would probably be expansionist. One of our big ideas back in the day was manifest destiny and I feel like imperalization is a mix of expantionist and military culture which America also really likes doing, to the detriment of places like the Middle East and South America. Warmmonger might fit too, especially from Teddy onward but I feel like that would fit a nation like Germany better.

Compared to nations and empires of the past, Manifest Destiny was child's play. Even though it's popular today to talk about Manifest Destiny because it's one of America's sins (and it was), I don't think it is correct to choose it to be something that identifies the nation.

Science is definitely #1.  There are just too many inventions from the modern era that come from the US.  I think that technology is probably America's greatest contribution to the world.

After this, it's difficult.  Aesthete is a strong choice because modern performance, Hollywood and music, (from jazz, to rock, to R&B/soul/hip-hop) are the next greatest contributions the USA has made. This is ironic because Europeans I think like to poke fun at America for being so puritanical and anti-liberal, yet they still love our music and movies. Aesthete doesn't have to mean liberal arts.

Builder seems to make sense, but honestly, so much of America's early infrastructure was based on a slave economy, it's hard to paint that in a positive light.  

Although America may produce the most amount of wheat/corn/bread in the world (or at least used to), Agrarian doesn't feel right to me. I think that's because Agrarian makes me think of ancient empires only (Egypt), but maybe that's incorrect.

But Expansionist?  No way.  Wars in Cuba, Korea and Vietnam, and the control over the North American continent do not make America close to expansionist IMO when you compare them to other empires' expansionist accomplishments over the centuries (Rome, England, Mongolia, etc).

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Sep 25, 2020, 6:12:51 PM

When it comes to Poland I think it's quite wrong. 

Trait - militaristic. I disagree. Poland was never truly militaristic (or more militaristic than any of her neighbors) and having winged hussars and winning some awesome battles with them is not good enough to justify it. True, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was one of the largest countries in europe, but it never had any real imperialistic plans to conquer everyone. Also the army was often underfunded and relied on the nobility (which doesn't mean it was militaristic, since many other countries relied on nobility as well) which, of course, loved military life, but again - nobility in most coutries back then was expected to undergo military training and fight in wars. 

Of course all civilizations had a bit of every trait, but if I had to choose I'd say that PLC was mostly agrarian. Plenty of grain was produced in PLC and exported to the western Europe. It was one of the most important trade goods actually. Then the wood exported to Britain from which English ships were made (and the English word "spruce" was created ;) ). Also nobility was greedy and imposed serfdom up to XIXth century where each peasant family had to work on the nobleman's estate for certain number of days per week. Then maybe scientific because some great discoveries and great scientist were either Polish or lived in PLC (Copernicus, Marie Curie, Hevelius, Fahrenheit and others whose names would probably mean nothing to most of you ;) ) but if I had to pick just one - then it's definitely agrarian. 

Unit - winged hussar. Well, that's perfect. If I had to choose one unit from the whole history of Poland then definitely it's them. Absolutely insane guys, with morale and training giving them ability to achieve unbelievable victories. Unfortunately the art (and probably the 3D model which was not yet shown) is ahistoric. It's based on a wrong reconstruction from XIX century. Real winged hussars had usually only one "wing" and it was usually attached to the back of the saddle, not to the cuirass.

Last two ones are from XVII century and are showing the original hussars. Sticking to the historic hussars would be a nice gesture from the devs.

Barbican - I'm not really sure it's really that unique. But I also can't think of any good replacement. Maybe the "folwark" (large farming estate) which would fit the agrarian trait.   

0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 7, 2020, 11:57:10 AM

Us Indonesians are, truthfully told only good at two things: war and music making. But we are VERY good at them.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 7, 2020, 2:20:10 PM

Hoo boy... For Germany, it's been and still is a hell of a ride through history.

Part Roman Empire, part barbarians. Then kingdoms,  Absolutism, Holy Roman Empire, Napoleon wars, then the fall of the Holy Roman Empire.

And after that... many kingdoms (again), German Civil Revolution in 1848/49, Otto von Bismarck founding of the German Empire  after the three Unification Wars. (Thus, I must say that, in the 19th century, Germany didn't consist of Prussia only. The founding in 1871 was something that Germans in all those kingdoms wanted after the fall on the Holy Roman Empire. Sidefact/Funfact: Our national anthem was originally written because of that but the first verse was misinterpreted after WWII which is why we only sing the third verse nowadays.)

20th century: World War I (1914-18), Weimar Republic (1918-45), World War II (1939-45), DDR and BRD (1949-90), peaceful revolution and unification in 1989/90.

So, how do I see my nation in the game?

I don't know, as long as you can recognize it as Germans and not picture it with clichés. xD

But I would picture the culture as an economic power, and less of a militaristic one. Well, thanks to certain people in the 19th and 20th century, Germany's militaristic side was more visible internationally.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Dec 13, 2020, 3:05:55 AM

But Expansionist?  No way.  Wars in Cuba, Korea and Vietnam, and the control over the North American continent do not make America close to expansionist IMO when you compare them to other empires' expansionist accomplishments over the centuries (Rome, England, Mongolia, etc).

Expansion is perfect. Rome and Mongolia might fit as warmongers. It is ironic that we're the result of England's early expansionism, however. England has been kicked out of most of the nations it "expanded" into, while all the nations we expanded over have been erased or economically isolated and contained within our borders. The conflict examples of Cuba, Vietnam, Korea, and the Philippines are good points on why we aren't very warmongering (although still debatable considering the last 70 years alone) and make a better case of why we're more purely expansionist.

But expansion covers the many other points, too.

Science? Not really. We've got the strongest anti-science stance of any other Western nation. Sure we invented the internet, the foundation of the modern world, but did America, really? Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the web protocols that allow Google, Apple, and Facebook to exist is English. Many of the early internet contributors were Dutch and German. Many of our great scientists were immigrants or children of immigrants. Henry Ford was the son of an Irishman and the grandson to Belgians. Expansion gave us plenty of resources to play with and attract talent. Our history of relatively open immigration (expansion, surely) fueled nearly all of our success. A lot of our celebrated inventions got their start in science from Europe or elsewhere (Radio came from Italy, the telephone was invented in England, so was the first computer, Marie Curie was French-Romanian). Edison regularly stole inventions from immigrants and even colleagues by abusing the patent system, expansionist if I ever heard it!

Aesthete? Definitely not. Most of our music came from (and co-opted from) marginalized groups, and while entirely American in the way they came together and mixed, it was actively fought against every step of the way. Jazz, rock, and hip-hop each progressively became the most popular musical form of its day, and each denounced by American authorities as evil and corruptive. Even our liberal admistrations of late rarely push to invest in the arts. Again, it's our expansion that drove into new areas. Even Hollywood was founded by artists escaping the controlling movie trade companies that held New York in thrall, only to have a couple of decades later an even more powerful studio system that snapped up and controlled talent. Plus our economic expansion is why our movies, music, and TV are world famous, not because of any particular investment or quality. Many French, German, or Indian movies I could identify as such with a frame because of a particular style, usually close to the culture. Our movies? The famous ones are generally big and expensive. To be fair, we haven't had much time to develop our own style in much of anything outside of food and music. Yet our cultural products dominate the world, despite our best efforts not to have an interesting culture, because of our hunger for economic expansion (and taking culture from others whenever possible).

Builder could suit us, but mostly because we had the space to build into. A lot of it was and continues to be exploited labor, as rightly called out. But exploitation is the result of an expansionist mindset. Post WWII building was dramatic and would make a good counter point, but largely that was luck of placement and strong anti-warmongering that kept us out of the thick of things. It's easy to build when you've got open valleys that only have the corpses from smallpox and small arm battles a century or more old, rather than landmines and the scars or bombing campaigns.

Agarian also, was something we moved away from quickly (especially once we limited slavery to prison populations), but we remain strong because of the expansion past.

If they define expansion to include economies, we definitely fit the category like no other. Maybe they'll define that more as a builder side of things, then it might be a toss up, even if that means fessing up to the ugly truth that much of our building success comes from getting anyone we can exploit to do the real labor for us.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Dec 13, 2020, 3:22:44 AM

Well I guess it's unimportant, since most of cultures/countries excelled or had huge interests onto much more than just one field.

Thus, picking one category for each culture can be arbitrary. And for the sake of Game-play, I would like to see various affinities across all eras.

For example, only expansionists or militarists in a certain era would be... lame and monotone. More flavour is always welcome.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Dec 31, 2020, 12:38:59 PM

@Blightcrawler I don't think it's entirely fair to dismiss most of the points on American achievements just because of the methods that were used and such. At the end of the day these were all attributed to the country and that's what matters for the purpose of the game. The Jagiellon dynasty started as Hungarian but you don't attribute the feats of Poland to Hungary.

Anyway Poland being an Early Modern civ is a perfect time frame for them if there had to be only one era they could fit in, this era encompassed so much progress of the PLC as well as its downfall that any number of affinities could be attributed to it. The Unique Unit being the winged Hussar is perfect, and their trait preventing counterattacks is a nice nod to the design of their lances, and how they were so long pike formations couldn't properly defend or counter the cavalry charge, it's great to see that in-game.

The Quarter however I'm disappointed with, a Barbican is rather generic as far as emblematic quarters are concerned, so generic I can even see it being a building every culture can build once they discover the usefulness of firing from overhangs. The ability that prevents nearby tiles from being raided is also ironically funny to me as Poland had many issues with raids during this time period, especially by the Swedish. It also lost most of its use during this exact time frame as artillery became more prevalent and was eventually phased out. I have problems figuring out a suitable replacement that fills the exact same roll and effect however.

As for Affinity I see the reason behind choosing Militarist rather clearly and the legacy bonus further supports this. The Poles were in constant warfare and mostly on the defensive, therefore they were chosen to be a militaristic affinity with a bonus to fortification strength. Let me say I think the legacy trait is too weak as of right now in the game and that 10 bonus fortification amounts to nothing and should be buffed or changed in some way, seriously it's really bad. Back to affinity, the actual military of the commonwealth was rather inconsistent over the course of its lifespan, with a shortage of troops as time went on and an increasing dependence on the nobility as reforms were halted and defending the country became increasingly difficult. The Russian-dominated office at the start of the 16th century restricted the growth maximum size of the army, which made it rather un-miliataristic.

Agrarian I can certainly see, Poland was rather rural compared to other countries and was quite the breadbasket during this time. Aesthete is also applicable as they were known for their swaths of political reforms, culture and even creating the first constitution in Europe. While having some very notable scientists and contributing greatly to the fields of mathematics and astronomy I don't think that's enough to peg them as a science culture, but it's still an important part of the history. Either Agrarian or Aesthete are appropriate replacements however I'd also be okay with Poland keeping its defensive militarist affinity, but having a new Emblematic district instead.

Changes to the Emblematic District are my biggest concern so I think replacing it with the Folwark, as earlier mentioned by @AquilaSPQR  would be a potential good idea. The Folwark is after all a fortified farm, which could synergize with the polish improved defence while also paying heed to their farming capabilities. Possibly providing the existing prevention of ransacking while also providing food and exploiting nearby food tiles. I don't think it'd be too unbalanced, especially considering how weak fortifications are in the current state of the game, so I'd love to see it. As for a 1-1 replacement with the Barbican should the Folwark be dismissed, there's the option of changing its name to the polish version Barbakan to at least make seem a bit more distinct, but I'm still of the opinion it should be buffed, along with the other unique bastion varients in the game such as the cyclopean fortress.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Dec 31, 2020, 1:54:35 PM

America seems like agrarian earlier in it's history, than industrial, and, then commercial, currently we seem to have a case of the stupid's... not sure what that is, Aesthetite? :D

0Send private message
4 years ago
Dec 31, 2020, 3:59:02 PM

Dominican Republic

We would agrarian during the 19th century and Aesthete during the 20th and 21st century, since tourism and influence in the Caribbean would be our forte right now.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jan 4, 2021, 6:11:32 PM
RabidHobbit wrote:
deo wrote:

I feel like America would probably be expansionist. One of our big ideas back in the day was manifest destiny and I feel like imperalization is a mix of expantionist and military culture which America also really likes doing, to the detriment of places like the Middle East and South America. Warmmonger might fit too, especially from Teddy onward but I feel like that would fit a nation like Germany better.

Compared to nations and empires of the past, Manifest Destiny was child's play. Even though it's popular today to talk about Manifest Destiny because it's one of America's sins (and it was), I don't think it is correct to choose it to be something that identifies the nation.

Science is definitely #1.  There are just too many inventions from the modern era that come from the US.  I think that technology is probably America's greatest contribution to the world.

After this, it's difficult.  Aesthete is a strong choice because modern performance, Hollywood and music, (from jazz, to rock, to R&B/soul/hip-hop) are the next greatest contributions the USA has made. This is ironic because Europeans I think like to poke fun at America for being so puritanical and anti-liberal, yet they still love our music and movies. Aesthete doesn't have to mean liberal arts.

Builder seems to make sense, but honestly, so much of America's early infrastructure was based on a slave economy, it's hard to paint that in a positive light.  

Although America may produce the most amount of wheat/corn/bread in the world (or at least used to), Agrarian doesn't feel right to me. I think that's because Agrarian makes me think of ancient empires only (Egypt), but maybe that's incorrect.

But Expansionist?  No way.  Wars in Cuba, Korea and Vietnam, and the control over the North American continent do not make America close to expansionist IMO when you compare them to other empires' expansionist accomplishments over the centuries (Rome, England, Mongolia, etc).

You have to remember that America in this game is in the Contemporary Era (End of WW1 onward), so Expansionist for Manifest Destiny doesn't make sense. Science I could see, for the companies in Silicon Valley and other places, but I feel like those make a better argument for Merchant. However, I would personally go for Militarist, for the US defense budget, which is larger than the next 10 countries combined.

P.S. The liberal in liberal arts has a different connotation than in the US left-liberal, or the European libertarian-liberal. The liberal in it means "befitting of a free man," and is used for any intellectual, mind developing, activity, as opposed to more servile, mechanical labor. This historically included science, but nowadays, science is seen as more practical.  

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment