Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Sleep Depravation: How Long Have You Gone?

Never Been Sleep Deprived ( < 20 hours )
Mildly Sleep Deprived ( 20-29 hours)
Sleep Deprived ( 30-39 hours )
Very Sleep Deprived ( 40 -49 hours )
Extremely Sleep Deprived ( > 50 hours )
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 5:17:08 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
But it was worth it, for at the end in my exhausted haze of semi-consciousness, I out argued my philosophy professor, using all the wrong (well, right in my opinion) sources.

Any person with a hint of sense can't really debate philosophy while aware of what they are doing. You were right to first get deprived of sleep.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 1:56:57 AM
A 72+ hour game marathon during my uni years. ^^'
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 6:50:38 AM
Oliolli wrote:
I have no personal experience but that's what I'd imagine getting high would feel like...

It's quite similar in some ways... or so I've been told... >.>

ForsakenDarkness wrote:
Heard that some fella from the USA died after playing Diablo 3 72hrs straight with no sleep so not willing to risk it to finish a game like that not young any more lol

Meh. Been there; I'm still here. So, not too worried.

If it's at all true, there had to be other factors. It's not just playing Diablo III for 72h that killed him, by itself.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 6:27:38 AM
During my senior year of college I was up for 2 days straight and let me tell you, I started getting really, REALLY weird... not something I care to do again! smiley: sleep
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 6:02:13 AM
Heard that some fella from the USA died after playing Diablo 3 72hrs straight with no sleep so not willing to risk it to finish a game like that not young any more lol
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 2, 2012, 4:32:35 AM
ElegantCaveman wrote:
It's not so much seeing pink elephants flying around everywhere as simply a change in perception of everything around you. It just gets... weird, kind of like you're dreaming. Things just don't quite seem entirely real after a while.

I have no personal experience but that's what I'd imagine getting high would feel like...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 8:45:11 PM
ShadowWolf wrote:
Sometimes people stay awake from necessity, others from curiosity, nevertheless you can weather it with naps or meditation. I have to admit, part of me is curious about what happens very late in that game, other than death from overheating the brain. I read somewhere that around forty hours you begin to hallucinate, I imagine they just become more vivid as you go on. Is this true?

I've never had massive hallucinations, but your mind definitely starts playing tricks on you after a while, and before 40h. I'd say things start getting strange starting roughly after 30h, give or take. It's very relative and circumstantial, though, of course. The longer you stay up without sleep, though, the stranger the world becomes.

It's not so much seeing pink elephants flying around everywhere as simply a change in perception of everything around you. It just gets... weird, kind of like you're dreaming. Things just don't quite seem entirely real after a while.

At least in my experience. I have no idea if it's the same for everyone. Maybe the effects of sleep deprivation are very subjective? I've never really looked into that.

As for dying of lack of sleep, from what I've read/heard, your body basically shuts down before that can happen, so you'll just pass out. Under normal circumstances, at any rate. Maybe it's possible do die from lack of sleep if you're on certain drugs to keep you awake or something? Even then, I doubt it. I could easily imagine some temporary (or maybe even permanent) brain damage, though. You might wish you were dead...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 8:13:08 PM
I'm a college student so... Eat and work at the studio. One semester, I have 4 studio courses... So like 21 credits-ish (i don't know what 6hrsperweekpercourseisincredits).. yeah. Glad I change majors.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 7:45:53 PM
Well, that makes sense since the body goes into maintenance mode when one sleeps or goes into a deepened meditative state.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 7:44:20 PM
Not sure about the hallucinations, but scientists measured the influence of sleeping or sleep depravation upon your immune system.

They gave two groups of people a vaccine. The control group was allowed to sleep, while the sample group wasn't.

When they measured the immune response to the vaccine by the amount of antibodies in a given volume of blood, the difference was roughly 50%. So the sample group had only half the immune response that the control group managed, on average.

I don't want to extrapolate that to several days of sleep depravation, really.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 7:39:10 PM
Sometimes people stay awake from necessity, others from curiosity, nevertheless you can weather it with naps or meditation. I have to admit, part of me is curious about what happens very late in that game, other than death from overheating the brain. I read somewhere that around forty hours you begin to hallucinate, I imagine they just become more vivid as you go on. Is this true?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 7:19:14 PM
My record was around 66h near the end of a semester because I just had to finish that damn report.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 5:42:34 AM
I'm adrift on a lucid sea of invisible luminescence, my mind a boat to take me over this light-peeking mass. It's hour 36 now, the mild dose of fantasy has mingled its way into my eyes, bubbling the factual, yet fantastic world I once knew. Sleep shall surely be my just reward, but this isn't the longest I've gone. What's the longest you've gone? And if you care to share, please do.

And the other side of the coin: ElegantCaveman's Deep Slumber Poll.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 4:12:29 PM
The longest I've gone without sleep has been...42 hours, I think? 44, maybe?

Something like that, anyway. It's definitely not something I care to do, but I *have* done it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 3:44:39 PM
Just shy of three days for me. Oh college, you hate me so...

But it was worth it, for at the end in my exhausted haze of semi-consciousness, I out argued my philosophy professor, using all the wrong (well, right in my opinion) sources. And I hate philosophy...That was such a good day.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 3:34:03 PM
I wouldn't like being trated by a medic that didn't sleep for a whole day. I mean... without sleep how can you do things that require sharp thinking or sharp reflexes ?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 3:22:15 PM
At least in terms of reaction times, that's how it goes, more or less. I wouldn't know about thought processes.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 12:19:38 PM
Oliolli wrote:
I think I've gone about 48 hours. Gaming seems much more fun when you do it while deprived of sleep, for whatever reason.

There seems to be the rule of thumb: 17 hours awake is equivalent to 0.5 per mille of alcohol.

Never found a quote for it, but it just stuck. XD
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 11:33:21 AM
I think I've gone about 48 hours. Gaming seems much more fun when you do it while deprived of sleep, for whatever reason.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 11:19:42 AM
Well when I was on holiday, I found myself in a sleeping paten of a 48 hour day. I would sleep for about 18 hours then stay awake till the next time I felt tired, which was usually well over a day.

It was weird but I found that I seemed to like it better.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment