Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

What kind of alien races do you generally play as in games? (multiple choice poll)

High-tech, organic, militaristic aliens – Protoss (SC), Covenant (Halo), Vasari (SoaSE)
High-tech organic pacifist aliens – Psilons (MoO), Torian Confederation (GCII)
High-tech, cybernetic/machines aliens – Meklar (MoO), Borg (ST), Yor Collective (GCII), Cravers (ES)
Low/medium-tech, organic, hive mind aliens– Zerg (SC), Xenomorphs (Alien), Tyranids (Warhammer)
Others (explain)
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 5:08:35 PM
I love two extremes, pure robotic races and pure organic races. Basically races like the Geth(I have never played an rts or tbs that has something I like for this extreme) and races like the Zerg.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 6:43:48 AM
I always had something with xeno's in movies and games. so i will be using the cravers here alot consuming planets is so much fun to me.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 7:40:31 AM
I tend to go for the "sleek, quasi-iPod, pleasing-to-behold faction that tends to be either science-based and/or a xeno-based religion."
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 7:48:55 AM
cybernetic/machines aliens all the way!

The cyber stuff itself i do like , perhaps that's why i enjoy them ^^
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 8:24:13 AM
VieuxChat wrote:
I would kill for an hybrid race between protoss and zergling : some cross-over between a hive mind and some technology. A bit like the reapers in Mass Effect.

Now that is an interesting concept... I myself however prefere making a empire with an large wealth and through diplomacy and money controll everyone else.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 9:03:16 AM
Usually going for xenophobic technocrats. Generally pacifist and doing my best to have others fight my wars for me. I do like having a huge technological advantage over enemies to scare any potential invaders off but on the other hand I tend to neglect the expansion part quite often.

In SotS however I usually went for Hivers and built an impenetrable empire by utilizing the ability to move defense fleets quickly and overwhelming enemies by sheer mass of ships. I loved those flying bricks smiley: smile

One thing I actually liked and am missing from MOO3 were Harvesters. Not that much fun to play but excellent as galactic threat. I remember times of panic when I found out that I have Harvester population on my own worlds. It might be fun to play some race that could be categorized as a scourge one day... who knows maybe in Endless Space smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 11:14:36 AM
In all honesty. I usually go with whatever race is the "shiniest"

Such as for Warhammer, I started off with Tyranids because it was just love at first sight. Then I stated learning more about the story and started to like a single faction of Space Marines. Then a built an army of Guard because Guard are just awesome models and I am currently onto the Tau. But Tyranids will always be my first and favourite army of 40k.

For ES though. I am leaning towards Cravers currently. They just feel right. A snug little fit. Like being wrapped in a hug the whole time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 11:21:28 AM
I like to play as Silicoid species. I generally always took the Lithivore trait in Master of Orion 2 and if the option is available I try to take it. Otherwise, pacifist high tech biological species are my second choice as I dislike managing large fleets of vessels.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 12:41:40 PM
High tech with high mobility, exactly like the Vasari in SoaSE!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 12:43:42 PM
It might not be to everyones taste, as everyone I've spoken to have kinda shunted and booed me away, but to me there is just something about the Necrons from Warhammer40k that just makes me tick.

I felt bad for going and buying more of the new models weekend gone. D:

At the end of the day i'm still going to prefer the ancient machine races.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 1:07:41 PM
i would like to see an option for custom race as for me it's what i want to see as a race in my eyes smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 1:26:49 PM
@Sethiroth

Nothing wrong with the Necrons. Especially not the new ones. I was just debating with myself on if I should get them or the Tau. As I said earlier, I go with what is shiniest.

But machine races are cool. There's a good sense of mystery that can be added to them. Like the Reapers from Mass Effect. But the Geth are my favourite machine race currently, with the Cravers moving in for a solid 2nd, and even close first.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 1:43:09 PM
I usually like to try and play everything (try different strategies with different races). Did not Sun Tzu say "know your enemy" in the "Art of war".

In terms of aesthetics is usually like to be able to choose my race amongst harmonious ones (both in cases of scary ugliness or lethal beauty as long as it's consistent), if the portraits of a race are nice but the ships are ugly (or the opposite), I will probably have to force myself to play them and most likely I will give up shortly. After all, I will spend a lot of time looking at them so they have to provide me some kind of good feeling (identification process, RP, feeling of might, feeling of beauty, whatever) when I do so.

Typically since the SC/SC2 universe is mentioned here, both zergs, protoss and terrans have many many units. Each unit is detailled and has it's own "personality" and none of those "personalities" conflict with each other within a faction/race but are really part of the group identity. I like that and I bet most players do too (even bad taste must be consistent should I say).

That is why I love customization options also, and love to play custom races being able to choose portraits, fleet design AND most importantly customize my stats.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 2:54:54 PM
I prefer what I call "Nanoslimes", which are colonies of nanobots that assume the shape of other lifeforms. They tend to use the skeletons of other races as a sort of rack from which they hang onto, otherwise they become unstable. They enjoy integrating into other races, but tend to eventually supplant them. If you discover a colony of natives and absorb them into the empire, the joke would be on you in a couple hundred years, as they are in fact Nanoslimes.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 3:15:55 PM
I always go for gritty, underdog species, usually human.

The ones who uses missiles and kinetic weapons instead of fancy lasers and plasma, whose ships look more like an industrial colossus than a sleek space fish and can take a shitload of punches. Usually they're also pretty new in the galactic community but are having success due to unorthodox tactics and so on.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 6:41:36 AM
I usually play as human factions, admittedly, but I try to lean them towards being an economic and industrial powerhouse. I don't really go to war, but rather colonize and secure what I need. Picture TEC from Sins of a Solar Empire.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 5:47:41 PM
When I have to choose a race to play with, I automatically go for the Human (If possible) or the most militaristic. If humans are possible, I will always play as them. It is like that with all games with me. I cannot play with female characters either, do not know why..
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 6:04:35 PM
I like science/ economic. about 40/ 60. Doing that tends to allow my enough cash to build up my civilization AND give me enough tech where I hold my own.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 12:00:01 AM
High Tech, Lithovore, Physically Weak, Terrible government. Gives me wins every time in MoO2
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment