Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

What kind of alien races do you generally play as in games? (multiple choice poll)

High-tech, organic, militaristic aliens – Protoss (SC), Covenant (Halo), Vasari (SoaSE)
High-tech organic pacifist aliens – Psilons (MoO), Torian Confederation (GCII)
High-tech, cybernetic/machines aliens – Meklar (MoO), Borg (ST), Yor Collective (GCII), Cravers (ES)
Low/medium-tech, organic, hive mind aliens– Zerg (SC), Xenomorphs (Alien), Tyranids (Warhammer)
Others (explain)
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Mar 30, 2012, 6:28:34 PM
znork wrote:
well i used to play custom race!

all the time? you don't have a favorite alien race?!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 30, 2012, 6:46:17 PM
I usually play as the human/Terrans, though I had fun playing as other races when I played MOO2 in the past.

When playing a race, just for fun, I don't always think in terms of strategy or self-interest. I also try to "play the role" where my decisions would be based on principles or ethos. For example, I might play the role as enlightened explorers (e.g. Star Trek Federation) who will not wage war unless attacked, but will expand and colonize. On the other hand, I might act like the Borg or some race hell-bent on domination with hardly any diplomacy involved (e.g. "you ALL MUST join the New Order!!")
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 30, 2012, 7:42:05 PM
znork wrote:
well it always lie the sicence racesmiley: biggrin

I always take the scientists, too. But I don't play them very peacefully...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 30, 2012, 8:30:36 PM
I usually like to play some underdog civilization, that's why on GC2 I loved to play as the Torians. Nevertheless I hardly ever play with stock species, most of the time I create my own species; with some nice underdog background like ex-slaves, former province of a larger empire or something else along those lines. Some form of role playing is always on my mind when I play a 4x title.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 31, 2012, 7:59:05 AM
I very rarely if ever play warlike species. Most of the races I've preferred to play so far were either pacifistic, scientifically inclined or both. Next on my list where aliens with unique biologies or preferences, such as such as species evolved on a frozen planet or plant aliens. However, if I have the choice to create a custom race I usually do so once I figured out how the game works. Hive mind aliens can also be very interesting to play. unfortunately, most of then tend to be highly aggressive, which isn't very appealing to me. A pacifistic hive mind alien species (or perhaps not a hive mind but a group mind, that is, all members retain their individualitiy even though their minds are connected) would be a nice change.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 31, 2012, 8:09:55 AM
The thing is there aren't a lot of pacifistic aliens in games or movies. The ones that are present usually get pwned by some other militaristic conquistador-type of aliens smiley: smile And in games I have yet to see an alien race winning with pacifist methods, the lore is one thing the actual gameplay is pretty much the same, with the peaceful nature being manifested in a diplomatic relationship bonus or something like that but you still have to destroy the enemy through military power.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 30, 2012, 3:52:48 PM
Since we don’t have any info on the remaining 6 races in ES (except for a screenshot of the 3rd still unannounced race) I thought I should start this survey as it will give a general idea of what kind of aliens people generally prefer and have fun playing as. The results could give a hint as to what alien races are the most anticipated in ES.

The poll choices include just basic race type-defining characteristics, which I assume can also be applied to all the races in ES, no appearance or other subjective features included.

1. High-tech, organic, militaristic aliens – Protoss (SC), Covenant (Halo), Vasari (SoaSE), Drengin Empire (GCII), Eldar (Warhammer)

2. High-tech organic pacifist aliens – Psilons (MoO), Torian Confederation (GCII)

3. High-tech, cybernetic/machines aliens – Meklar (MoO), Borg (ST), Yor Collective (GCII), Cravers (ES)

4. Low/medium-tech, organic, hive mind aliens– Zerg (SC), Xenomorphs (Alien), Tyranids (Warhammer)

5. Others (explain)

*The Cravers made it to the poll cause there is enough info released about them to classify them under 3.

My personal choice is 1. I've always loved to play highly advanced technologically alien races in games, but not of the peaceful kind smiley: smile What about you?
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 31, 2012, 10:27:38 AM
Liked Alkari and Elerians in MOO2 for their neutral race bonuses (defence, psionics). Loved klackon for their stupidness. Made games on hard and impossible indeed hard and impossible without ability to pick up the tech you`ve needed (klackons got random techs from the tree, no choices at all).

Loved humans in SOTS for their fast type of travel and my modified models smiley: smile

Loved Tarkas in SOTS for their lizard-apeness and 'Warkona' thingy. Sounded nice.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 31, 2012, 11:23:17 AM
Raptor wrote:
The thing is there aren't a lot of pacifistic aliens in games or movies. The ones that are present usually get pwned by some other militaristic conquistador-type of aliens smiley: smile And in games I have yet to see an alien race winning with pacifist methods, the lore is one thing the actual gameplay is pretty much the same, with the peaceful nature being manifested in a diplomatic relationship bonus or something like that but you still have to destroy the enemy through military power.

I just hope that "kill everyone" won't be the only way of winning.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 31, 2012, 1:27:50 PM
VieuxChat wrote:
I just hope that "kill everyone" won't be the only way of winning.

These are the ways of winning as stated by SpaceTroll:

Romain: We’ll have 7 ways of winning the game, 5 of them that are archetypal: Dust, Science, Population, Warfare, and Building.

Then we added a kind of “King-of-the-hill” victory where you need to “collect” and control all the home worlds of the current factions.

And finally if you did not manage to win with one of these victories, the one with the best score wins at the end of a given number of turns.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 10:19:28 PM
Alkari and Mrrshan.... was sad that the Mrrshan were killed off they kinda reminded me of the Kilrathi from Wing Commander. and Sillicod when i didnt want to worry about food
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 10:44:49 PM
Played as Space Marines in Warhammer 40k from a very young age so I normally roll the most human/military based race in these kind of games.

I do enjoy playing as 'nids in Dawn of War 2 though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 3, 2012, 10:57:37 PM
I choose Others, because...

- I usually play the Humans (if they're available), especially when playing my first few games... Also true for games like Starcraft, Dawn of War, etc...

- Sure, I try to have as much Science advances as possible, and of course, food for everyone... ;-) But usually my #1 priority is a good, efficient Production/Industrial... And your poll don't mention Production...

- I love using the 'Custom race' option, if available, to fine-tune my 'humans' to my liking...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 1:02:11 AM
hmmm, its different but last i played the Advent in "Sins of Solar Empire" most time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 1:22:20 AM
Our current technology allows us too easily imagine a technologically superior race. I think the organic low tech races are more interesting and also more scary ! A really different race. Absolutly not human.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 1:59:27 AM
my favourite kind of scifi race are like the reavers (firefly), zuul (sword of the stars), cravers (endless space). that average tech, safety unconscious, semi-savage, space scourge that is as likely to eat your face and lay eggs in your leg as shoot you with a sniper rifle.

my dream race in a 4x would be the like aliens (from the alien movies) if they could fly spaceships. no less violent, no less chaotic. in horror movies the big scary thing is always beaten by chance or technology... "dust off and nuke the planet from orbit!"... i like it when the big scary thing is big and scary, and also just as smart as you.

that mix of technology and savagry is scary when done right.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 4, 2012, 2:11:03 AM
Went with the other option here. One of the main things that I'm looking forward to with Endless Space is a fairly robust custom civilization editor, as that's almost always the path I take when choosing a race in a 4X game.

My play-style typically heavily revolves around slowly and meticulously building up a strong economy and tech lead in the early game, even if that comes at the expense of appearing weak or placating other, more violent races. The entire time though I have my eyes set on the long term and I love manipulating politics and warfare to my own advantage. Finally in the late game I roll out the big guns and adopt a "with us or against us" policy, alternately extending an olive branch or a gun barrel as need be.

So I guess in this case I'm the (typically) human civilization underdog turned galactic oppressor?
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment