Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Mist ?! (looking for some answer and information)

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Feb 26, 2014, 5:12:32 PM
Wow melkathi, thx for the tips. I didn't know XML config files were so exposed... is it intended by the design team ?

Cause tuning is one of the most precious thing against copy cats :/
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 27, 2014, 10:22:24 PM
(yeah I overinterprete !)

You don't overinterprete. : )

Mist is poetic, 'cause it evokes some romantisicm pattern. It's the classical topos of the mighty nature (just like the Wanderer above the Sea of Fog, for example).

I have to say I'm wondering why they change "Dust" for "brume".
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 27, 2014, 8:59:37 PM
Okay thanks everyone for your answers !

That explains quite a lot, first of all I need to find time and play Endless Space, it seams to be the best way to understand and enjoy DotE even more smiley: biggrin

And I totally agree with you Tiphereth, the french word indicates something precious, evanescent and kinda poetic (yeah I overinterprete !), meanwhile the english word seams to be more accurate with the gritty atmsosphere of DotE.

In any case, the global meaning of this ressource (the nanomachines) is quite clear for both languages !

So back to square one, I need to find time very soon... lol
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 27, 2014, 2:15:59 PM
Curly wrote:
Is it something that can be changed in further updates of DotE (this is the alpha version afterall) or is the same word already used in Endless Space, so it can't be replaced (just guessing, I haven't play Endless... yet smiley: wink )

Not really. smiley: biggrin Dust is indeed a resource that can also be found in Endless Space.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 27, 2014, 2:07:04 PM
I'm not totally fluent in english, but that's not quite the same meaning

You have to think of it like nanomachines, because it's what the Dust is. And dust (the real one) is made by a lot of particles, just like the mist, the "brume", is. Two different words, but with one same metaphor. So it's not totally irrelevant. But yeah, there is one semantic difference anyway, 'cause dust just sound like some garbage things when "brume" seems more valuable. Weird change.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 27, 2014, 10:37:18 AM
Curly wrote:
or is the same word already used in Endless Space, so it can't be replaced (just guessing, I haven't play Endless... yet smiley: wink )

It is. The games use the exact same resources. Dust plays a very important role in the Endless universe, so changing the name at this point is not truly an option.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 27, 2014, 9:43:27 AM
Steph'nie wrote:
The original word is "Dust". Our writer, Slowhands, is American by the way.

Thanks for the explanation Steph'nie !

I'm a newbie here, both in the community and Amplitude's games, so maybe it has already been explained somewhere else : if you reverse the question, why "Dust" was translated into the french word "Brume" ?

I'm not totally fluent in english, but that's not quite the same meaning smiley: smile

Is it something that can be changed in further updates of DotE (this is the alpha version afterall) or is the same word already used in Endless Space, so it can't be replaced (just guessing, I haven't play Endless... yet smiley: wink )
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 26, 2014, 8:50:19 PM
Hi all and Ty for the answer you gave.

Yeah, I'm french so sorry for the "mistraduction", cause I don't find that before posting ...

It was helpfull (at least for me and maybe for others)to understand how the mechanics of dust work. I progress step by step on my run and discoverone time the fourst level. When I read about the fifth level as the last one (for the moment we all know it!), I feel like I'm maybe at 30~50% of Everest's climbing xDD

So ty and have fun
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 26, 2014, 8:45:05 PM
Mysterarts wrote:
Absolutely, it's intended smiley: smile

We prefer giving the player the opportunity to explore, tweak, and propose mods than play a cat and mouse game smiley: wink

A propose mods: Is there normal mod-support via "+mod Modname" or is it only possible to tweak the standard-game-files right now?

I'd like to try how it would feel if all mobs would move at the exact same speed. ^^
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 26, 2014, 5:49:56 PM
Absolutely, it's intended smiley: smile

We prefer giving the player the opportunity to explore, tweak, and propose mods than play a cat and mouse game smiley: wink
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 24, 2014, 5:13:51 PM
Hi all,

I don't know if I use the right location for this thread, but I need little to understand how work the gain of mist. My run often ended in the third lv, that mean I understand some mechanics, but I don't understand how the gain of mist works and if there are some effective way to enhance it ...

Is it a random things that make in some run you get more mist than you really need and other you can't get some instead of really needing it ... ?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 26, 2014, 9:40:34 AM
Ca_Putt wrote:
wha wha wait a second so considering Amplitude is settled in Paris thus France, does this mean that the "original" designation was/is "Mist"?

The original word is "Dust". Our writer, Slowhands, is American by the way.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 25, 2014, 6:53:36 PM
Well, we can't be sure about that because almost every games are made in english langage, for some obvious reasons. : )

Maybe a developer could tell us. : )
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 25, 2014, 10:40:39 AM
wha wha wait a second so considering Amplitude is settled in Paris thus France, does this mean that the "original" designation was/is "Mist"?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 25, 2014, 10:26:59 AM
Danke Ail smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 25, 2014, 8:46:02 AM
melkathi wrote:
that's why I couldn't find what chance there is for each door event

The chances for the door-events are in the files that have "level" and a levelnumber in their name.

But it's not a chance like 0.2 or so, it is a weighting and it has to compete against other weightings at the same amount of opened doors.

So if you have 5 different events that can happen at some point and they are weighted like 20, 30, 25, 20, 10, then the chance for one to happen is The Events Weighting/Sum of all Events weightings... e.g.: 10/105

As I said these weightings also depend on the amount of doors opened. So for the first few doors there is a higher chance for finding a major-module-slot for example while later on the chance to find monsters increases.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 25, 2014, 12:13:12 AM
Tiphereth wrote:

Melkathi : Where could you find all of these informations? It's very interesting.

In the installation folder there are some .xml files. They don't have all the info (that's why I couldn't find what chance there is for each door event), but they do have some info.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Feb 24, 2014, 11:29:16 PM
Is the resource named differently for different languages?

I suppose he's a french player. The dust is called "brume", which means, well, "mist". (Basically, Dust is just a way to talk about nanomachines, just like mist could be too. ^^)

Melkathi : Where could you find all of these informations? It's very interesting.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment