Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Read First] Faction Creation Contest - Rules, Guidelines & Advice

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 11, 2016, 6:12:32 PM

You may already start voting on submissions you like.

I feel dumb asking this but, how do we vote ?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 11, 2016, 6:16:44 PM
sarin555 wrote:

Umm how do I edit the tread title? I can't think of the name at the moment, but I might change that latter.

Not implemented yet.

EDIT: Actually you can, just in the top right of your thread.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 11, 2016, 6:21:00 PM
sarin555 wrote:

Just asking, but if I go over 200 words but not beyond 300 would I still be qualify?

Nope. Respect the limit, please.

FhireD wrote:

You may already start voting on submissions you like.

I feel dumb asking this but, how do we vote ?

Click the little G2G  icon in the top right of the thread.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 11, 2016, 10:05:19 PM

Reminder for newcomers: Remember to link your Steam account to get more G2G points! You can do this from your profile: https://www.games2gether.com/profile/me This may take some time to update (the Steam API isn't super responsive), but anything you upvoted will automatically be updated, including your own thread/submission.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 11, 2016, 10:10:30 PM

Would it be bad if I simply place the Drakken in that competition? They are my all time favorite in Endless Legend, and it would be a huge shame it they somehow didn't make it into ES2. I really hope they're planned to be in the game ;-;

Oh and the Allayi as well!

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 6:58:43 AM
Frogsquadron wrote:
sarin555 wrote:

Umm how do I edit the tread title? I can't think of the name at the moment, but I might change that latter.

Not implemented yet.

It is, just Edit the Thread, not the Post:

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 7:48:16 AM
That's what I get for replying late at night. My bad!
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 11, 2016, 12:21:39 PM

So you want to participate in the contest? Here's all you need to know!

Theme: Pacifist Diplomats

Looking for inspiration from our previous games? Think of the Amoebas from Endless Space, or of the Drakkens in Endless Legend. The gameplay niche we are looking to fill is one of a faction that uses diplomacy to further its peaceful ideals.

Phase 1: Game Design -- Gameplay & biography

What is the affinity that makes this Pacifist faction unique to play? 

- Cravers eat up Minor Factions, consume planets and can never be at peace, Sophons are crazy explorers and get a huge science bonus if they're the first to research a technology. How is yours different?

What is the story behind this faction?

- Give us, in 200 words or less (total), a description of the faction. How did they get to that point? What's their society like? What's its goal?

YOUR SUBMISSION MUST HAVE

• A name (either a tentative faction name or a concept "space ninja diplomats").
  • A description of their unique gameplay. From the faction affinity that makes you go "oooh that's what they do" to the population bonus, tell us how you think they should be played and what makes them cool.
  • A description or biography of the faction, in under 200 words. Don't include relationships to known factions.

GUIDELINES & ADVICE

• You are limited to one submission. Please also note that we will only accept submissions posted in English. 
  • If you want to modify your submission, please edit your post (don't repost your submission). You can post in your submission's thread to say you've updated it, but only once. Abuse will lead to potential exclusion from the contest.
  • Keep it simple. Unless your idea is fully fleshed-out and in accord with our theme and criteria, better make sure your voters and our team can understand your intention!
  • Feel free to draw inspiration from the Major Factions Wiki to draw inspiration from the way we introduce factions, but keep in mind your word count limit.

VOTING

• You may already start voting on submissions you like. Remember to link your Steam account to get more G2G points! Voting runs in parallel with idea submission. You can vote for as many submissions as you like. Remember, we need three winners!

DEADLINE

• Submit your ideas before August 25th. We’ll be closing voting at 6:00PM CEST. The top three most popular submissions will be drawn into a final vote, provided they meet our criteria.

NECESSARY DISCLAIMER

• We reserve the right to alter submissions or work with their author to fit our design and specifications. Full rules for the contest are available here.

Ready to submit? Click here!

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 7:59:41 AM
Lorco wrote:

to any dev reading this your file which lists the rules for the contest seems to contain some kind of virus or something.

the moment that I opened the file my protection kicked in and stopped anything from happening but please do check.

Replaced the docx with a pdf. This should prevent your antivirus going crazy.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 11:56:40 AM

What should we do if we want to redo our submission's biography but have already used up our one edit?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 12:22:21 PM

You can edit as many times as you need. The only limit is on the number of submissions (just the one per person) and in the number of words in the description (elevator pitch is the name of the game).

If you need to edit your submission, edit it! If it's already received votes or comments, perhaps add a message saying what you changed so people can add their votes if you improved it, for example.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 2:28:27 PM
Frogsquadron wrote:
icytux wrote:

Would it be bad if I simply place the Drakken in that competition? They are my all time favorite in Endless Legend, and it would be a huge shame it they somehow didn't make it into ES2. I really hope they're planned to be in the game ;-;

Oh and the Allayi as well!

It would be regrettable, because you don't know whether they're planned to make an appearance in the game. Also, being the intellectual property of Amplitude, submitting them as your creation wouldn't really fly. :D

WELLLL, I would be more of a vote from the community to vote the Official Drakken in! Not my own creation! 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 3:00:08 PM

You can vote before the end of submissions? 

So people can like something. Get excited, vote on it in the spur of the moment and then see a ton of other ideas they are equally excited about but their vote has already been cast? 

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 3:11:51 PM

You can upvote as many submissions as you wish, and add/remove your vote until the end of the voting period.

Think of it as more of a "here are all the ideas I like, and oh, wait, this one too!" rather than "okay I need to wait to vote because I have just the one vote to cast". Like one submission? Vote for it. Like 9? Vote for them. Like them all but one? Vote for them!

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 5:02:40 PM

OK, thanks for the clarification. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 6:39:45 PM

Is 200 words the limit for your entire submission or just for the faction background?

Edit: I'll assume that 200words is just for the bio, not the entire submission. If that's not the case, I'll edit my submission later.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 12, 2016, 9:51:28 PM
My proposition doesn't appear on the list : is it a bug (probably caused by the length of its title...) or is it simply because I can access it from my notifications panel ?
Plus, I wanted to  suppress a comment in the devblog news about the major faction contest, but when I refresh the page it is still here. Is it also a bug or does the forum takes some time to do so (I tried first more than three hours ago) ?
0Send private message
8 years ago
Aug 13, 2016, 12:51:44 AM
PANCZASU wrote:

Is 200 words the limit for your entire submission or just for the faction background?

Edit: I'll assume that 200words is just for the bio, not the entire submission. If that's not the case, I'll edit my submission later.

If it's not Gameplay, I'll count it as lore/story, and it'll go towards the 200 words limit. If it's gameplay, something a bit more detailed is fine (but don't go overboard, nobody wants to read the minutes of your 9 page powerpoint presentation ).

0Send private message
Comment