Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Welcome to the Espionage Faction Naming Contest!

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 25, 2018, 3:46:02 PM

Dreamwalkers. It is long known that the dreams are the gate and the key to vast abysses of the innermost self, aswell as the cosmic truth. One who knows how to traverse these dreams, manipulate and control ,will gain control over a weak dreaming mind, their knowledge and their power. Projecting its own mind into another is what these beings do, in their never ending thirst for knowledge. They project their minds across the galaxy to find usable hosts, their minds and ethereal bodies being unaffected by the thing we call time, for they have long existed since before time was a thing. When the endless stole the secret of dust from the lost, the Dreamwalkers became thirsting for the knowledge about this substance aswell. Moving like Shadows through the dreams, like a spark of light across the starlanes, they are not far from making an impact into the universe we know and are bound to reshape it forever. 

I hope you like my idea, I always wanted to add a bit of cosmic horror to endless space and it would be nice to be able to get a touch of that with this new faction. If you are interested what inspired me to write this, I recommend you read H.P. Lovecraft - The Shadow out of time. 

Thanks for reading! 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 25, 2018, 3:48:37 PM

The Mist

Considering that they are in the ghostly form and has no material existance, I think the word perfectly defines them since they are also specializes in some kind of covert operations.

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 25, 2018, 7:34:38 PM

Sweet, now it's time to consider a good name to share.

Thank you for this opportunity!

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 25, 2018, 3:57:16 PM
shavounet wrote:
Frogsquadron wrote:

Please create a thread for your submission, that's how fellow community members will be able to upvote it in a week!

Done ! Maybe a link in the original post would be welcome, for newcomers (like me) who didn't get where we should post this ;-)

Sound idea. Let's go:

Do not submit your idea in this thread! Create your own submission so that it can be upvoted! 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 27, 2018, 12:05:07 PM

FYI - This is in the text of the OP

"Want to know more about how to create a population quest, or you've already got an idea and you want to make sure it's possible? Head over to this thread! "

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 26, 2018, 9:57:31 AM

Your post is at the bottom because comments are ordered chronologically. Comments on this thread do not constitute entries into the contest, as specified in the first post and in my subsequent comments in the same thread.

Submissions, once they can be upvoted, which is a week from now, will be ordered based on one of several factors: most points, most views, most recent reply (default option).

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 26, 2018, 6:12:02 AM

Is this contest fair?

What guarantees an equal chance of eveyone's submission being upvoted? Don't people who submit their ideas last get their idea at the top of the list? Sure, you can change the view settings to view old to new, but what incentive is there for someone to submit an idea now than later and have a much *higher* chance of getting their idea viewed and upvoted? 

If we assume we have a perfect voter that unbiasedly looks at all the ideas and then chooses their favorite, then I am not concered -- except that that is rarely the case.

I am extremlly certain that majority of voters will only consult the first page. Then a small subset will look at the second page. Another smaller subset may then look at the last page and work backwards or continue onto page three, until they get bored and decide to leave.

I write this post to prove my theory on attetion spanes. I doubt you read this entire post, and if you have, thank you. 

But regardless of my micro-experiment, based on the rate of incoming ideas (~4-6+ and hour), it is more than likely for this contest to surpas 5 pages worth of ideas.

I truly have not idea how to get everyone to be a near-perfect voter becuase I find many people in real life to not look beyond the front page.

So please, I ask the community and the devs to assure some form of fairness in this contest. 

I currently believe the only way to nuetrally give everyone the same chance would be for the list of ideas each voter recieves to be randomly generated (you could set seed to the server's clock time in milliseconds). Then there would be no time/submission-delay bias when viewing the first page.

I think this contest will be very fun and I look forward to seeing everyone's ideas. I just hope people decide to look at more than one page.

EDIT: How ironic that I end up at the bottom :D

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 25, 2018, 8:49:12 PM

The Fjolniri

Fjölnir is one of the (many) names of Odin, a god often associated with wisdom, knowledge, and disguises. Not to mention that his crows, Huginn (Thought) and Muninn (Memory) were good spies in their own way...

The name has few meanings: Wise One, concealer, "the One who is many", all fitting new race's theme.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 25, 2018, 6:48:23 PM

I have more than one ideas but they all go in similar ways

"The Halocals" -> Derivating from the HALOCARBON-14, a potent greenhouse gas with a very high bond strenght. My idea is that this ancient civilization apears in worlds which population has developed machines who pollute their atmosphere. They fuse with the polution, they observe, they learn and assimilate the tech of the population of the planet. Their native planets are the High density gas planets where they were born. The idea is they can observe and fuse with a planet so as the greenhouse gas do with our planets just nowadays. This gasses are capable of swaping density to move between diferent heights in atmosphere, and their spaceships could be just void rocks. The idea of the ships beiing void rocks is to help them keep stealthy and don´t be detectable to other factions when they are orbitating their systems. Just some crazy Idea...

"The Kriptionians" -> I know, cheap idea. But Kripton is an invisible, inodore and technicaly inert gas... But what if it is not that inert? It fits me i don´t know.

As you may see I am going in the scientific branch searching for a name... Other options are "Radonians", "Xenon Whatchers", "Silaniars" coming from the Radon, Xenon and Silane gases.

Sorry for my bad english

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 25, 2018, 4:42:16 PM

Lurking shadows.

Because it is espionage faction,and Species morphology is Wraith,so it is called like this.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 25, 2018, 4:39:52 PM

Thrasos

I basicaly played with two words:

Trace – As espionage faction, they will probably tracing activities of other factions.

Seek – When you are gathering information, you are most probably seek for something. ( Nobody knows if it is for good, bad or neutral things :) )

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
Comment