Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Lífþrasir (Lifthrasir)

Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
Apr 26, 2018, 8:58:58 AM

I think the thorn might be a bit problematic, especially if players have to look them up to pronounce the faction name correctly (in this and other languages).

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 9, 2018, 8:23:20 AM

Ok, even if I hate that name I can see a lot of people like it. If it wins I think the race itself should have some mix of elvish and northern theme/design, so that the name would at least represent sh*t when pronounced.

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 8, 2018, 5:20:24 AM
Shion wrote:
WhiteCorsair wrote:
MidnightTea wrote:

You have my vote.  It's actually kind of annoying to me now whenever I see "The" names.  They're something I'd eliminate from most nerd naming books. Right along with "reaper",  "shadow", "lost", "infected", "templar", "corruption" and others.

We can do better. And your suggestion does indeed fit the ES2 naming conventions!

This is largely my own sentiment, as well, and why I'm not at all a fan of "The Umbral Choir." 

Lifthrasir and Erebus are my preferred choices in this contest, they're different enough to stand on their own, and they just sound right.

All of them are Google names. No originality. Hence i didn't voted for any of them. 

On the other hand when you see what the developers were proposing: https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/votes/210-cancelled-creating-the-spy-faction-part-6-name

I guess you just greateful that they are better at making games instead of names. 

Dodge that bullet.

Still dissapointing, that a winner of contest for creating names ended at the Google search.  You would think players that enjoy Space genre games would have creative minds.

Fernor wrote:

I like this idea but your insistance that somehow Lifthrsi wouldn't have "the" at the front of it is mistaken (go to the Endless Space 2 main site and look to the races summaries for reference, even Vodyani has "the" at the beginning). "The" is not a bad word, it's needed for correct grammatical construction. In fact, all of the races have it and so will "The" Lifthrasir if it wins.

Food for thought

XuJoo wrote:

So then what is your opinion of the name "Eidolon" ? I am just curious as that one has my vote and while the word has been used, the context it can/should have here can be unique!

@Shion: Touche. However I would argue you need a word from the Google Search in order to be competitive in this contest. All the words in the top 10 draw on some background definition to add sustenance to their campaign. Even if there are original words in this contest, they do not appear to capture the intrest of the community -- which is indeed too bad.

@Fernor: Very true. I did not mean to demonize the poor article (+10 if you got the pun :D).

@XuJoo: Meh. I like mine better :P (I would say both of our names come from a similar place: old languages with mythological themes -- so both origins are "unique". However, I would say mine has a uniquer origin, sounds better off the tongue, allows for more creativity for the faction backstory, and has not been used before.)

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 8, 2018, 5:11:03 AM
XuJoo wrote:

So then what is your opinion of the name "Eidolon" ? I am just curious as that one has my vote and while the word has been used, the context it can/should have here can be unique!

Eidolon hasn't been run into the ground yet, so I'd be cool with it myself. I mean, my favorite race in this game is "The Unfallen" and while that's kind of a generic name, I can't think of anything else with that name off the top of my head. 

Going back to "The Reapers" for a moment, just off the top of my head:

1. Antagonists of Mass Effect

2. Early game enemy faction of Infamous

3. One of the allied factions in Just Cause 2  

4. One of the allied factions in XCOM 2's expansion

(I'll cut anime-derived stuff like TWEWY, Bleach etc. a break since they're usually literally grim reapers/psychopomps in those works and the word in the original language is "shinigami" anyway)

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 8, 2018, 4:32:08 AM

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 8, 2018, 1:14:56 AM
Abrasax wrote:
MidnightTea wrote:

I'll definitely take "The LIFTHRASIR".  Anything I have to check the spelling of repeatedly is going to stick in my head. That's a name that doesn't just slide off my brain like, say, "The Forgotten". 

The Forgotten is an appropriate name in this context. Anytime I talk about them in forums or private chat, I have to doublecheck their name. I forget the Forgotten on a regular basis. Seems fitting tbh.

Same here, but only because "The Forgotten" is a name I've heard used a million times before. In my case, it makes me think of the snake guys from Guild Wars. Either way, it's another one of those "The (plain darkcreepy noun)" names that I can't stand anymore.  You will surely be forgotten if you use these bland generic names.

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 7, 2018, 11:39:48 PM
MidnightTea wrote:

I'll definitely take "The LIFTHRASIR".  Anything I have to check the spelling of repeatedly is going to stick in my head. That's a name that doesn't just slide off my brain like, say, "The Forgotten". 

The Forgotten is an appropriate name in this context. Anytime I talk about them in forums or private chat, I have to doublecheck their name. I forget the Forgotten on a regular basis. Seems fitting tbh.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 7, 2018, 11:35:27 PM

To clarify, my issue with "the" names is that they usually are attached to a generic or "cool" sounding but overused noun.  A good example is "The Lost".  I'd say "The Lost" are a title I've heard overused far too often in fantasy fiction and video games in particular.  "The Reapers" are the other one, I've literally lost track of how many things are called that. 

"The Umbral Choir" is okay-ish in my book. It's not "The Reapers" again. Nothing is allowed to be a reaper again. And even if they are a reaper, they're not allowed to be a group. Or if they are a group, they need a real name.

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 7, 2018, 10:46:17 PM

I like this idea but your insistance that somehow Lifthrsi wouldn't have "the" at the front of it is mistaken (go to the Endless Space 2 main site and look to the races summaries for reference, even Vodyani has "the" at the beginning). "The" is not a bad word, it's needed for correct grammatical construction. In fact, all of the races have it and so will "The" Lifthrasir if it wins.

Food for thought

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 7, 2018, 6:56:45 PM
MidnightTea wrote:

You have my vote.  It's actually kind of annoying to me now whenever I see "The" names.  They're something I'd eliminate from most nerd naming books. Right along with "reaper",  "shadow", "lost", "infected", "templar", "corruption" and others.

We can do better. And your suggestion does indeed fit the ES2 naming conventions!

This is largely my own sentiment, as well, and why I'm not at all a fan of "The Umbral Choir." 

Lifthrasir and Erebus are my preferred choices in this contest, they're different enough to stand on their own, and they just sound right.

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 7, 2018, 6:13:06 PM

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 6, 2018, 7:14:22 PM
TheTraveler132 wrote:

Definitely like this, even if I made a submission myself lmao. Might as well pick something else that's Norse right?

Isnt the Vaulters Nordic though?

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 6, 2018, 8:28:17 AM

Definitely like this, even if I made a submission myself lmao. Might as well pick something else that's Norse right?

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 6, 2018, 5:47:02 AM
Supernova117 wrote:

Break out of the norm!! (Why is it always "The <insert generic noun, pronoun, verb, adverb, etc.>"?)

Cannot agree more with this. If we end up with something that sounds like it was named by the United Empire, I will probably vomit. The Endless would be rolling in their graves.

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
6 years ago
May 4, 2018, 12:08:25 AM
WhiteCorsair wrote:

I would like to address y'alls concerns by saying that it can be re-written as Lifthrasir. Lífþrasir  is just the original spelling, much like ヒッ書 is for Hissho. 
You are free to dismiss Lífþrasir  from your minds and instead see Lifthrasir -- if that helps. If the name is implemented in the game it will most likely be done so as Lifthrasir anyways.

I've left Lífþrasir  as the title becuase I would like to pay hommage to the original spelling becuase I find it unique.

Hope this clarifys any misconceptions.

Something to consider, you may want to put the English spelling in parentheses beside the original spelling "Lífþrasir  (Lifthrasir)" in your title.

This way, people are getting the gist of it at entry, since some voters won't bother reading the thread.

Secondly, in the eventuality this reaches the final vote, you'll want the in-game implementation represented there as well. Otherwise, people may vote for the more familiar spelling at that stage.

Just some strategic thinking for the days to come. God knows, I'll be thoroughly apalled if "the Farty McFarts" dark-horses the race.

Thank you! I had not thought of that.

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 3, 2018, 8:05:40 PM

I would like to address y'alls concerns by saying that it can be re-written as Lifthrasir. Lífþrasir  is just the original spelling, much like ヒッ書 is for Hissho. 
You are free to dismiss Lífþrasir  from your minds and instead see Lifthrasir -- if that helps. If the name is implemented in the game it will most likely be done so as Lifthrasir anyways.

I've left Lífþrasir  as the title becuase I would like to pay hommage to the original spelling becuase I find it unique.

Something to consider, you may want to put the English spelling in parentheses beside the original spelling "Lífþrasir  (Lifthrasir)" in your title.

This way, people are getting the gist of it at entry, since some voters won't bother reading the thread.

Secondly, in the eventuality this reaches the final vote, you'll want the in-game implementation represented there as well. Otherwise, people may vote for the more familiar spelling at that stage.

Just some strategic thinking for the days to come. God knows, I'll be thoroughly apalled if "the Farty McFarts" dark-horses the race.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 3, 2018, 7:31:10 PM
Guthrog wrote:

I think the name is interesting in itself, but I don't believe it has the same feel as the other names. Originality is good, but it has to fit, and in this case, I don't think it does.
Also, the origin of the name has nothing to do with the theme here, which is kind of a shame.

Cyphius wrote:

This is not a stellaris custom race name, this is a name for a main faction fo endles space 2, and all faction have "clear"sounding name. For the sake of continuity, I would rather not see this one win.

mamarider wrote:

Hmm, does it even sound good? I don't know, may be it is not common for a made up name to sound good at first, but I can't imagine myself saying that word outloud without cringe. Sry.

liliputt wrote:

Breaking out of the norm is interesting but for Endless Space 2 breaking out of the norm is calling your race Vodyani...

Under different circumctances, where racial names were riskier, I would say this is appropriate but to have one race stand out like this, with an unrponouncable name breaking the wholeness of the game.

It immidiately becomes like a mod injected by someone who isnt a part of ES2 authorship.

Despite the name being cool and original I dont think it should be in the roster under the conditins of the naming style of al lthe other races.

For those seeking continuity of naming in ES2, I believe Sophon, Vodyani, Lumeris, Allayi, Drakkens, Mezaris, Morgwar, and Hissho are all either original words or names from another lanuage translated to English.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 3, 2018, 3:26:07 PM

I think the name is interesting in itself, but I don't believe it has the same feel as the other names. Originality is good, but it has to fit, and in this case, I don't think it does.
Also, the origin of the name has nothing to do with the theme here, which is kind of a shame.

0Send private message
Comment