Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[ESPROD-2321] Crash on Game start

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Jan 3, 2017, 1:37:01 PM
mixerria wrote:

Holy shmoly, yes, it works indeed! I changed the {} brackets to () brackets.

Wow, I never imagined it would be such a trivial issue that would actually crash the game.

In any case, tons of kudos for the help, I hope a dev soon acknowledges this bug.

Reported, acknowledged and logged!

Good job everyone, that's a really nice catch!

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 3, 2017, 2:34:53 PM
WeaponizedCaffeine wrote:
mixerria wrote:

Wow, I never imagined it would be such a trivial issue that would actually crash the game.

In any case, tons of kudos for the help, I hope a dev soon acknowledges this bug.

Reported, acknowledged and logged!

Good job everyone, that's a really nice catch!

Thanks for taking care of this! :)

0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 3, 2017, 2:39:27 PM

@mixerria: Can you update your thread to show the solution in page 1 ?

I noticed there is people that have this problem in the "pending crash game start issues" thread. There may be a lot of them.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 3, 2017, 3:29:12 PM
mixerria wrote:

GTAV on PC when it originally launched, had a similar catastrophic bug. Any non-ASCII characters in your Windows username caused the game to basically implode upon itself. Yes this somehow made it past an QA department that is probably the size of a small island nation. Though to be fair generally QA machines are ultra generic on purpose so they can be reimaged quickly. I'd probably name them QA1/2/3/4/5 and the logins would be QA1/2/3/4/5 just for simplicity and tracking purposes. I don't need some bored QA tester naming their computer "L33tH@x0r-420W33d".

This one seems to be a parser issues with the squigly brackets (I'm sure there's some super techical name for it but bah! I never listened in English class!) rather than it being just a 'non unicode' issue. 

I thought there was a bug about this already, but I think it was for the square brackets not the squigly ones.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 3, 2017, 3:50:06 PM

Double square brackets are xml escape characters.

People likes the "[[ROXORZ]] HugeDude92" names too. ;)

Here, the game may have trouble with \ characters in the names, btw.

Like "\nYO\n", maybe ?

String.Format are nice & all, but str = "look, i'm " + str + ", yay !"; works too. You're doing it one time, no need to find the best instruction / cycle op when it's unstable (or unmaintanable : personal credo).

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 3, 2017, 4:03:30 PM
Kweel_Nakashyn wrote:

Double square brackets are xml escape characters.

People likes the "[[ROXORZ]] HugeDude92" names too. ;)

Here, the game may have trouble with \ characters in the names, btw.

Like "\nYO\n", maybe ?

String.Format are nice & all, but str = "look, i'm " + str + ", yay !"; works too. You're doing it one time, no need to find the best instruction / cycle op when it's unstable (or unmaintanable : personal credo).

Steam names have some 'odd' nomenclatures

The [] brackets are common steam name as they identify 'clans' or such

The {} brackets are generally used to do colours for specific games (mostly COD games)

I wonder how the game will handle other 'weird' things. I think Steam now allows weird emoji characters in your Steam name too.

I recall some other game I was supporting where the 'tm' unicode caused the game to implode too. 

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 3, 2017, 4:52:58 PM
Kweel_Nakashyn wrote:

@mixerria: Can you update your thread to show the solution in page 1 ?

I noticed there is people that have this problem in the "pending crash game start issues" thread. There may be a lot of them.

Done. ^^

0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 4, 2017, 1:07:38 AM

\nL'Ost\n names makes the game's name called "n's game", then when hovering the end of turn button, the name is "n". In battles too.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 4, 2017, 10:03:35 AM
Kweel_Nakashyn wrote:

\nL'Ost\n names makes the game's name called "n's game", then when hovering the end of turn button, the name is "n". In battles too.

Hehe, reminds me of the heartbleed bug. ^^

0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 4, 2017, 6:01:05 PM
Kweel_Nakashyn wrote:

You do realize you're giving the string parser programmer a siezure right now right?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 4, 2017, 8:13:03 PM
satoru wrote:
Kweel_Nakashyn wrote:

You do realize you're giving the string parser programmer a siezure right now right?

Haha, sorry for him :)

I guess the first error comes from some kind of String.Format("{0}{1}", strSteamUserName, "'s game"); when the game tries to parse the name of a new game.

The second one would be corrected by a strSteamUserName = strSteamUserName.Replace(@"\", @"\\"); then a strSteamUserName.Replace(@"\\", @"\"); or something I guess.

Or he should make a new @ string from the string.

I hope that's this simple.

Hopefully the name is parsed once then used everywhere in the game so it may be ok once you correct it ?

We have the same string problems everytime there is user input, it's a classic !

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Dec 22, 2016, 7:52:25 PM

Other than a faulty hardware if what I told doesn't work, I don't know : safe mode is supposed to not load non-critical piece of software.

Almost each CTD I experienced were either due to some experimental software setting I made a little while ago (and half of the time, it's firewall/AV), or to faulty hardware.

Since your game worked and hardware crash is a possibility but quite rare, it may be something you did to your computer between the time you played ES2 and now ?

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Dec 17, 2016, 10:08:44 AM

I'm amazed how I could post this in general... I seriously have to many tabs open.

Move plz!

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
8 years ago
Dec 19, 2016, 1:33:22 PM

I see you have a Sound Blaster card

does that come with any audio enhancement utilities that are running?  

If so try quitting that application

0Send private message
8 years ago
Dec 19, 2016, 1:46:06 PM

I deactivated everything but the driver of the sound card, but the crash to desktop still persists.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Dec 19, 2016, 4:45:45 PM

Bug still persists as of newest patch.

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Dec 19, 2016, 11:37:05 PM

The problem still persists, unfortunately. 

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment