Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Alliance declare war voting system

Diplomacy

7 years ago
Jan 11, 2018, 12:35:09 AM

current alliance diplomacy system is something wrong. its so easy to interrupt to/by alliance. someday i just take control 1 system and during planetary assult on several systems, my enemy contact to one of my alliance and take truce so easliy. alliance war/truce system need to change. additionaly, this is very hard to searching who the hell are declare/accept war/truce when you have many friends.

so i think alliance declare war or take truce, needed whole alliance's vote or/and influence competition. like academy quest, take the side(accept or decline), spent influence and bigger side win and follow winner's decision. or just more voted side is winning and added bribe system on diplomacy option.

Updated 4 days ago.
0Send private message

Wishlisted

The WISHLISTED status is given by the dev team to ideas they would like to have in the game.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

Unfortunately, we have to admit that this will most likely not make it into ES2. While we still like the idea, the additional changes it would require to accomodate it make implementing it in ES2 unfeasible. The Veto system we tried at one point did not turn out as desired, and a more complex system caused other problems.

We are keeping this idea wishlisted for future reference, though.

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
7 years ago
Jan 16, 2018, 5:20:58 PM

Having a system similar to Total War might be an idea, where you are able to take a bit more action just before something happens, rather than after. Although it might not change things around terribly much.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 20, 2018, 4:39:09 AM

This is also annoying when your teammate accepts a member into the alliance, even though the new member has 3 or 4 powerful factions at war with them at the time of acceptance.

Another thing that could be included in the voting system is if you don't see eye to eye with your alliance partner(s) (vote the opposite of what they want too often), they could leave/kick you out of the alliance somehow, encouraging cooperation a fair bit (instead of just forcing Influence points onto them for an eternity).

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 20, 2018, 6:20:57 AM

Yeah, I had this occur several times with the AI. I honestly would like a voting mechanism so that you would have some sort of interaction or say in your allies' decisions. As far as implementation goes, I think it'd make sense if it'd function off of the Pressure mechanic, so that way those who have more sway in the alliance gets to make the final decision sort of deal. Kind of what Tagma was talking about.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 24, 2018, 9:36:25 PM
Tagma wrote:

It's a difficult balance to achieve, isn't it- on the one hand, we want to reduce the frustration of having your plans utterly derailed by the actions of our allies; on the other hand, allies are empires in their own right and must be more than just a source of free fleets to throw at factions we don't like. I think that a Vote system would be the best method for alliance war dec/truces- and, in the inevitable event of a tied vote, the vote should go to the side with the larger Influence output.

Some mechanics giving high influence factions more power in the alliance would be fun I think. Maybe having a sort of bidding with influence when vetoing declare war or truce?

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Feb 4, 2018, 6:01:37 AM

I do not understand; do you want for an alliance to be able to be more connected? would someone explain this?

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jan 11, 2018, 10:28:10 PM

Yes, something like that has also happened to me. I was in an alliance with one other empire and we were winning easily, but this other AI just accepted all the truce-offers for very little dust. I was besieging some of their starsystems and suddenly we were at truce...

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Feb 20, 2018, 8:02:02 AM

The current alliance system should indeed have a vote count on declaring war/truce. Sometimes it is just awkward when you are winning the war while alliance decides to have a truce for no reasons. They should have a majority system.(4 members, has to pass 3/4 in order to initiate a war or a truce.)

0Send private message
7 years ago
Feb 20, 2018, 12:52:05 PM

This should be a no-brainer, the current system is broken and many times does not align with your personal goals.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Feb 23, 2018, 7:47:15 AM

Just something similar to the council votes in Alpha Centauri would work wonders.

Whether the votes should be equal or weighted, I'm not sure.

IIRC Alpha Centauri did weighting based on total population - which made sense for that game. With the asymmetry of ES, however, such a decision is not nearly as straight forward. Weighting things wrong could easily turn specific factions the default-underdogs in any alliance. Or perhaps worse: Limit the viable strategies, should you want to keep alliances a useful option in a game.

The safest approach, while providing a clear improvement over the current state of things, would seem to be an unweighted vote.

Later, aside from weighting considerations, you might consider using the alliance voting system for alliance-wide regulation as seen in the Alpha Centauri council and similar mechanics in Galactic Civilizations & other 4x'es.

0Send private message
0Send private message

Wishlisted

The WISHLISTED status is given by the dev team to ideas they would like to have in the game.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Feb 25, 2018, 9:27:22 PM
AngryAnt wrote:

Just something similar to the council votes in Alpha Centauri would work wonders.

Whether the votes should be equal or weighted, I'm not sure.

IIRC Alpha Centauri did weighting based on total population - which made sense for that game. With the asymmetry of ES, however, such a decision is not nearly as straight forward. Weighting things wrong could easily turn specific factions the default-underdogs in any alliance. Or perhaps worse: Limit the viable strategies, should you want to keep alliances a useful option in a game.

The safest approach, while providing a clear improvement over the current state of things, would seem to be an unweighted vote.

Later, aside from weighting considerations, you might consider using the alliance voting system for alliance-wide regulation as seen in the Alpha Centauri council and similar mechanics in Galactic Civilizations & other 4x'es.

Well, why not both! Like English Parliment and American Congress, we can make the vote two-round.

First is  a national vote. One empire one vote. If proposal passed by having the majority (50%+) voted "yes". Second round starts next turn.

Second round is a popular vote, where the number of vote an empire have is proprtional to their population count, like every 5 pop generate a vote. this ratio may be improved by advancing to higher eras in the left tree, and may be modified by in-nation politics (if pacifists are in power, vote toward war will only have 75% effectiveness, but vote toward truce have 125%, or such) . If proposal reached over 2/3 yes, it passes.

It will make aliance dicision rather lenthy, and will make political stalling possible (multiple small nation can stall one big one in round one, while big nations can do the same in round two). But that just adds flavor to  aliance politics...

Also: durig the summit, there will be options to "buy" aliance votes through diplomacy ("I give you 100 antimatter, and you vote yes on war declaration?" "deal.")

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment