logo amplifiers simplified

[Poll] Streamlined vs flashy system UI

Graphically stunning interface over the solarsystems
Easy and streamlined interface over the solarsystems
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
13 years ago
Mar 7, 2012, 10:47:27 PM
Despite of its complexity, Star Wars Rebellion was quite easy to handle thanks to the simplicity of its galaxy interface : flat (and ugly) 2D textures which represent the galaxy map, composed of several sectors. Click on sectors > open the sector window, composed of 10 planets. 4 buttons per planet for the ships in orbit / ground production / troops and others units / mission. Kinda clear.

An example : http://apollo68.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/star-wars-rebellion1.jpg
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 12:59:01 PM
reynanuy wrote:
I think this poll is not quite accurate, since it doesn't represent the third most "viable" or agreeable option, of including both features in the game. Specially when it's been said on the original thread that both alternatives had already been implemented.

Yeah and this poll was made after we learnt that... so that means the poll is not so good anymore... Hence ill do it like this.

Ill close the thread. smiley: smile

0Send private message
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 11:39:41 AM
I think this poll is not quite accurate, since it doesn't represent the third most "viable" or agreeable option, of including both features in the game. Specially when it's been said on the original thread that both alternatives had already been implemented.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 10:51:01 AM
It's better to have a streamlined UI than a beautiful one. The graphical "WOAH" only happens once, and you could be stuck with that beautiful but clunky UI.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 10:23:41 AM
of those three, as much as i panned the depth of the game, Sins is the one that kept me coming back through all its expansion packs. What it did it did well.

Oh that and Gratuitous Space Battles. Loved that one. So simple and yet so challenging as well.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 7:37:06 AM
Martok wrote:
I didn't find it to be "horrific" as in ugly, but as in very user-unfriendly. I loved Rebellion as a concept, but the interface was so byzantine, that it seriously hampered by enjoyment of the game.

Well, I played the game the after after its release, (and I was quite young in 1999 / 2000 smiley: stickouttongue) and I never felt lost because of the UI design. Of course it has a lot of defects, but it did not prevent me to play hours at this game.

Empire at War did what I would call an updated version of that kind of UI, but I didn't enjoy the game at all (too simple, ground assaults are quite bad) so I can't judge.

Heagemonia was also great, but the full 3D system was a mess. Although, the macro management was not so difficult.

And on Sins, I found myself more often on the macro/2D view of the galaxy rather than on the 3D view. I like the game, but I think the whole management thing in this game could be easily improved, beginning by adding more depth on it (instead of just creating a handful of buildings and click on "I want more inhabitants in my planet"), and a smarter UI dedicated to planet's management.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 7:24:47 AM
Furfuris wrote:

I keep going to Civ examples because that's what sucked me in. I'm not looking for Civ in Space here, but I think Sid Meier and his folks have hit on some really useful and enjoyable design elements that are worth poking around with.

Civ in space? Never played Alpha Centauri?

0Send private message
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 8, 2012, 12:51:45 AM
Well if I had to choose, I'd vastly prefer a streamlined, easy-to-use interface over a visually stunning one. That question is a no-brainer for me!

Zep' wrote:
It depend what you mean by horrific. Yes it is ugly. BUT you can access pretty much everything in a few clicks. There is still a strong community around that games, and each time a 4X is released, some people try to mod it (if possible) to get closer to SWR gameplay.

I didn't find it to be "horrific" as in ugly, but as in very user-unfriendly. I loved Rebellion as a concept, but the interface was so byzantine, that it seriously hampered by enjoyment of the game.

0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 7, 2012, 11:16:40 PM
Ashbery76 wrote:
Star Wars Rebellion had a horrific UI.Seeing someone people praising it is a shocker.. smiley: smile

It depend what you mean by horrific. Yes it is ugly. BUT you can access pretty much everything in a few clicks. There is still a strong community around that games, and each time a 4X is released, some people try to mod it (if possible) to get closer to SWR gameplay.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 7, 2012, 11:11:28 PM
Star Wars Rebellion had a horrific UI.Seeing someone people praising it is a shocker.. smiley: smile

From the screenshots is looks like EP has a nice steamlined UI.
0Send private message
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 7, 2012, 9:37:14 PM
Again, I'm big on tempering that idea. A stream-lined global (biggest scale, whatever) interface is definitely a big hit nowadays, and easy on the eyes, yadda yadda. But don't take out accessibility to the smaller scales altogether. Again, I'm thinking about the Civ games. Civ 4=city menu=stuff to tweak=addicting game. Civ 5=no real customizability=hordes of pissed of loyalists. Also, stripped down game play. I don't think you guys are going for gratuitous space battles here, based on the level of MOO influence I pick up, but you don't need to set things up so that you have to spend 10 minutes every turn tweaking things.

I keep going to Civ examples because that's what sucked me in. I'm not looking for Civ in Space here, but I think Sid Meier and his folks have hit on some really useful and enjoyable design elements that are worth poking around with.

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 7, 2012, 6:25:34 PM
Ashbery76 wrote:
I vote for both combined.

How did you do that?

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
Comment