logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Custom race ideas

Copied to clipboard!
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 4:44:04 AM
SpaceTroll wrote:
To make it clear when playing a faction, you can:

- pick one of the 8 predefined ones

- create a custom one, by attributing a set number of points in many many different traits, giving you the possibility to create any crazy alien you might think of

- we are also looking into using modding to create both visually and gameplay wise, for even crazier factions

Ah! Cool! This game is just sounding better & better all the time.smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 6:23:17 PM
I must say personally I prefer story to diversity. So to have fixed species is what I would like to see. I don't mind customization though since it looks like most people prefer it that way, but doing so clearly remove the story aspect of the game. From what I have seen on the forums so far, the developers seem to want to create a back story to the game. This will either give rise to something akin to Distant worlds or something like SOTS. It will probably end up being like MOO2 or most of the 4x games; a number of fixed species with the ability to customize a ''new'' race with the portraits of the fixed races.

On the topic: I'd like to play a ''race'' of robots, that send endless waves of (weak) robots to conquer worlds and that use the other species for some sinister purposes (hum reapers hum :rolleyessmiley: smile

One of the pictures in the media section of the website gave me the chills since it looked like something like what I just described.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 6:31:36 PM
Well Monterce, looks like this is the right game for you then because there are eight premade races, one of them being the Cravers (the robots you saw on one of the screenshots).
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 6:32:55 PM
For the races, the Warhammer 40k universe can be a good source or battlefleet Gothic for the space battles.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 6:34:56 PM
It would also be interesting to have a "replicator" type race that advanced by consuming the technology of other races, remaking their ships and constructs into their own.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 7:06:33 PM
TBK

It would also be interesting to have a "replicator" type race that advanced by consuming the technology of other races, remaking their ships and constructs into their own.

I think this is a nice idea. Would make an interesting play very different from ''normal type of play'' species that's for sure.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 7:13:05 PM
Yes, but you would have to find a way to make the two types fairly balanced. If the replicator type couldn't develop their own technology they would be in for a rough start, to say the least.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 9:17:16 PM
I am not concerned about custom races I just hope the vanilla factions have asymmetric gameplay and have more than a paragraph of text about their world view and history.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 9:28:18 PM
Nightraid wrote:
Yes, but you would have to find a way to make the two types fairly balanced. If the replicator type couldn't develop their own technology they would be in for a rough start, to say the least.

True, but they could start out with some generic stuff, or possibly "harvester ships" made up completely of replicators whos only job it would be to crash into other ships and "infect" them.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 10:16:29 PM
I agree, though I'll probably spend most of the game playing custom races. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the "vanilla factions", it just means I prefer to create my own faction at some point, and then probably focus on that one.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 4:17:09 AM
I think that if there are custom races, there will have to be something to ensure that they are well balanced. I remember with MOO2 it was possible to create a race that was completely overpowered just by taking a few of the best traits and ignoring the mediocre ones, or by giving yourself minor penalties. While it is always fun to dominate the computers, it ends up frustrating in multiplayer if the balance is broken because of it.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 4:22:05 AM
Hm. Maybe an RPG like point system. Just substitute character for faction and add the traits.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 4:35:58 PM
Caekdaemon, i think you might enjoy something akin to the Hoon Yon from Armada 2526. To quote the official game description they are "a synthetic race of intelligent robots controlled by massive central computers known as "Cores".

With everything centrally planned, and no internal dissent or bureaucracy, their spread through the universe is efficient and inexorable.

Their only weakness is a vulnerability to attack by nanobots, and a lack of technological creativity."
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 7:59:54 AM
Could you perhaps shed some light on the traits we'll be able to assign points to? Or is it too early for that?
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 8:28:43 AM
SpaceTroll wrote:

- create a custom one, by attributing a set number of points in many many different traits, giving you the possibility to create any crazy alien you might think of

- we are also looking into using modding to create both visually and gameplay wise, for even crazier factions

So creating a race will be similar (but more advanced obviously) to the Stars! race creation system (I havent played many recent 4X games).

Also I think that a mechanical race should be a definite or at least beings that augment themselves heavily although I dont think they should be entirely software based, perhaps if they at least created mechanical bodies. And I think there should be a race of beings that resemble some kind of cult or monks. Although small in numbers each individual is very powerful (similar to space marines but not necessarily of human origin).
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 11:49:17 AM
Nightraid wrote:
Could you perhaps shed some light on the traits we'll be able to assign points to? Or is it too early for that?

I second that... just giving out the fact that there is one and not revealing the contents... thats like saying on a month before a b-day or x-mas thats heres your pressies... oh btw, you cant open them yet.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 12:10:55 PM
Reminds me of the first 15 years of my life :rolleyes:

Alderbranch wrote:
I second that... just giving out the fact that there is one and not revealing the contents... thats like saying on a month before a b-day or x-mas thats heres your pressies... oh btw, you cant open them yet.
0Send private message
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 9:02:35 PM
Nightraid wrote:

I think we could show you what we have planned so far, and as we are working on it atm, it could be great to hear your thoughts on them...

we need to check it out with skamaks.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 9:05:07 PM
That would be much appreciated. I think I'm speaking for most of us if I say that we're looking forward to seeing what you came up with.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 10:48:56 PM
Yes, some insight on that system would be immensely appreciated. I specially am interested on how complex the traits you are programming will be, although I am not expecting anything "game changing, I do expect to see the "classics" so to speak. For me variety means everything here and even if the gameplay effects are simple, they need to be there for any species customization to be worth it. Changing the flag/portrait/etc ala SOTS is not nearly enough for me.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 15, 2012, 4:56:24 AM
Build your own style along side a catalog of pre-built choices, ala MOO2
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 15, 2012, 8:55:44 PM
As long as its possible to make a machine race who are effectively one with ships, I don't care about the race design. I just love machine races smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 11, 2012, 10:55:29 PM
I think you've identified the most important race points.

There are the basic finite characteristics which all races are based on which should obviously be balanced races for multiplayer. Some cosmetic differences make them interesting.

But in SP I don't feel there is as much need for perfect balance. Great sci fi 'evil' bad guys come to mind and inspire greater story telling. Cravers feel like a nod in that direction.
0Send private message
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 11, 2012, 5:56:51 PM
Sexy telepathic space chicks with pale/light blue skin smiley: smile

Seriously - Alkari, Silicoids, Sakkra and Mrrshan are my favorites. Alkari being the only race i play in MOO2 for the last... 4 years. Wow.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 11, 2012, 5:57:28 PM
Well, since I nenver got to play MOO2 (I know I know, shame on me...) I can't say I know very much about these species. However, it's always good to have a rough concept of what you want before you star creating something new. The first difficulty (at least for me) is coming up with a good name that fits the species without being melodramatic or cliché

And I'm getting the distinct feeling that at least one person out there will try to recreate the Asari.
0Send private message
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 11, 2012, 6:23:30 PM
Well, many 4x games have races that one could call silly, such as the Teyes in Armada 2526, which were small, three-eyed aliens with both avian and insectoid characteristics that had racial traits portraying them as unorganized explosive breeders who still seemed to fancy themselves mighty warriors (or at least they got additional victory points for winning difficult battles), so maybe something along those lines could work.

0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 11, 2012, 6:27:53 PM
Hm, speaking of ME series. Asari are similar to Syreen from Starcontrol and Elerians from MOO2. These are actually that pale-skinned space babes everybody speaks about.

Sakkra are Krogan. The same bad temper and reproduction rates. Enjoy living in subterrenian sities.

Mrrshan are cats. Temper is similar to Turians. Have accuracy bonus.

Alkari are birds. Though i can`t recall any equivalent of those in ME. Have good maneurability.

Silicoids are nasty rock-people. In MOO3 those were replaced by crystal-people. No equivalent in ME if i recall correctly.

0Send private message
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 11, 2012, 9:04:44 PM
What we need is a nice varied and distinct set of traits we can attribute to a species, the same ones that should have been first attributed to the stock species. The system should be at the very least, cover the basic "types" of species we all know so far; for example the scientific reclusives, the anaerobic superbreeders, the honorable warriors, the unscrupulous traders, the diplomatic manipulators, the slaver aggressors, the sentient machines, the cybernetic civilization, etc. From a biological form point of view, there are also some fan favorites to mention, such as the lizard/ape/bear/bird/cat/"animal x" men; although IMO some originality here would be much more than welcome.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 11, 2012, 9:23:09 PM
Agreed, though some variations or subversions of the aforement types would also be appreciated. For example, the race out to conquer the entire galaxy could be convinced it's the only species capable of averting some catastrophic event that could destroy the entire galaxy, but the other races won't listen, so they try to unite the entire galaxy under their banner, by force if need be, as they are obviously too foolish to understand the situation.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 11, 2012, 10:36:42 PM
I'd like a machine race. Preferably one who are software, and simply download into ships, rather then having a crew walking the decks.

Similar to the Geth from ME, but instead of being limited to just bodies, why not ships and machines?

Why not a frigging death star manned by one sentient being, who feels with sensors, moves with engines, armour like skin.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 11, 2012, 5:43:35 PM
Perhaps it is a little too early for this discussion, but what kind of species would you like to make with the custom race system, and what kind of elements should it have in your opinion?

As for me, I would like to create an aquatic (or maybe amphibian) race with strong interest in organic technology and physical and mental improvement. To that end, i would like to see elelemts such as preferred enviroment/planet type, diet, and something along the lines of cultural values in the species creator. And this might be a bit much to hope for, but I hope there wil be some kind of tool that will let you customize your own species' appearance and animationsinstead of just letting you upload pictures to represent it.

But enough about me, what do you guys think?
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 6:14:04 AM
Didn't remember the Asari being telepathic (unless you consider native biotic abilities to be telepathic. :-) But blue skin, hot chicks... well check! The Barmaid Matriarch in ME2 always cracked me up! smiley: stickouttongue

Nightraid wrote:
Well, since I nenver got to play MOO2 (I know I know, shame on me...) I can't say I know very much about these species. However, it's always good to have a rough concept of what you want before you star creating something new. The first difficulty (at least for me) is coming up with a good name that fits the species without being melodramatic or cliché

And I'm getting the distinct feeling that at least one person out there will try to recreate the Asari.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 7:35:02 AM
Okim wrote:
Sexy telepathic space chicks with pale/light blue skin smiley: smile

Seriously - Alkari, Silicoids, Sakkra and Mrrshan are my favorites. Alkari being the only race i play in MOO2 for the last... 4 years. Wow.

Blue space chicks eh?

Guess I'm dull adn unimaginitive. I play humans. Always.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 7:47:52 AM
I can see why some people would play humans. They're certainly easier to relate to than a alien species with completely different values. However, one of the reasons why I like playing exotic alien species is because they are different, both physically, mentally and socially. It's both a pleaseant challenge to roleplay and an interesting break from the usual.

Hmmm, i wonder if you're gonna be able to play a plant- like or fungal race.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 8:12:48 AM
Yeah! Give me a Supox Gardendom (or whatever those planties could call their society?)! Ascendancy had a nice treefolk race that liked to be left alone and somehow could block the warp points. I thinks that the same treefolk can be found in Armada 2526...
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 9:24:15 AM
Something like that. Armada 2526 had the Walden Forest, a Gestalt race of mostly sedentary intelligent tree-like creatures and smaller ape- or squirrel- like critters that acted as their hands. They were peaceful and treasured all life equally, meaning that you actually lost points for engaging in combat with other races.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 10:30:48 AM
Where does it say that we will be able to create races of our own?

I can only find mention that we will be able customize races that will already be in the game, not make completely new one's.

Are you talking about modding them in? Or did I miss something?
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 10:34:55 AM
Those are just dreams of people who enjoyed designing their races in MOO2, Pax Imperium and other such games.

Species design complete!
smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 12:09:44 PM
SABA wrote:
Where does it say that we will be able to create races of our own?

I can only find mention that we will be able customize races that will already be in the game, not make completely new one's.

Are you talking about modding them in? Or did I miss something?

0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 12:12:24 PM
I'm a human-centric player, only for the fact I love playing such a fragile and fallible species. Seeing 'us' as it were crawl into the cosmos against the odds is always a satisfying experience, and even in the face of monumental failure and catastrophe, it still feels all rather heroic.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 3:47:51 PM
I typically play human, as they are pretty much always available in... Any game really, but if there is a machine race available, then hell yes.

Preferably less human. The less human like, the better. The Yor from GC were great, but even less humanoid is better.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment