logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Custom race ideas

Copied to clipboard!
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 4:44:04 AM
SpaceTroll wrote:
To make it clear when playing a faction, you can:

- pick one of the 8 predefined ones

- create a custom one, by attributing a set number of points in many many different traits, giving you the possibility to create any crazy alien you might think of

- we are also looking into using modding to create both visually and gameplay wise, for even crazier factions

Ah! Cool! This game is just sounding better & better all the time.smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 6:23:17 PM
I must say personally I prefer story to diversity. So to have fixed species is what I would like to see. I don't mind customization though since it looks like most people prefer it that way, but doing so clearly remove the story aspect of the game. From what I have seen on the forums so far, the developers seem to want to create a back story to the game. This will either give rise to something akin to Distant worlds or something like SOTS. It will probably end up being like MOO2 or most of the 4x games; a number of fixed species with the ability to customize a ''new'' race with the portraits of the fixed races.

On the topic: I'd like to play a ''race'' of robots, that send endless waves of (weak) robots to conquer worlds and that use the other species for some sinister purposes (hum reapers hum :rolleyessmiley: smile

One of the pictures in the media section of the website gave me the chills since it looked like something like what I just described.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 6:31:36 PM
Well Monterce, looks like this is the right game for you then because there are eight premade races, one of them being the Cravers (the robots you saw on one of the screenshots).
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 6:32:55 PM
For the races, the Warhammer 40k universe can be a good source or battlefleet Gothic for the space battles.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 6:34:56 PM
It would also be interesting to have a "replicator" type race that advanced by consuming the technology of other races, remaking their ships and constructs into their own.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 7:06:33 PM
TBK

It would also be interesting to have a "replicator" type race that advanced by consuming the technology of other races, remaking their ships and constructs into their own.

I think this is a nice idea. Would make an interesting play very different from ''normal type of play'' species that's for sure.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 7:13:05 PM
Yes, but you would have to find a way to make the two types fairly balanced. If the replicator type couldn't develop their own technology they would be in for a rough start, to say the least.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 9:17:16 PM
I am not concerned about custom races I just hope the vanilla factions have asymmetric gameplay and have more than a paragraph of text about their world view and history.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 9:28:18 PM
Nightraid wrote:
Yes, but you would have to find a way to make the two types fairly balanced. If the replicator type couldn't develop their own technology they would be in for a rough start, to say the least.

True, but they could start out with some generic stuff, or possibly "harvester ships" made up completely of replicators whos only job it would be to crash into other ships and "infect" them.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 10:16:29 PM
I agree, though I'll probably spend most of the game playing custom races. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the "vanilla factions", it just means I prefer to create my own faction at some point, and then probably focus on that one.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 4:17:09 AM
I think that if there are custom races, there will have to be something to ensure that they are well balanced. I remember with MOO2 it was possible to create a race that was completely overpowered just by taking a few of the best traits and ignoring the mediocre ones, or by giving yourself minor penalties. While it is always fun to dominate the computers, it ends up frustrating in multiplayer if the balance is broken because of it.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 4:22:05 AM
Hm. Maybe an RPG like point system. Just substitute character for faction and add the traits.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 12, 2012, 4:35:58 PM
Caekdaemon, i think you might enjoy something akin to the Hoon Yon from Armada 2526. To quote the official game description they are "a synthetic race of intelligent robots controlled by massive central computers known as "Cores".

With everything centrally planned, and no internal dissent or bureaucracy, their spread through the universe is efficient and inexorable.

Their only weakness is a vulnerability to attack by nanobots, and a lack of technological creativity."
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 7:59:54 AM
Could you perhaps shed some light on the traits we'll be able to assign points to? Or is it too early for that?
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 8:28:43 AM
SpaceTroll wrote:
To make it clear when playing a faction, you can:

- pick one of the 8 predefined ones

- create a custom one, by attributing a set number of points in many many different traits, giving you the possibility to create any crazy alien you might think of

- we are also looking into using modding to create both visually and gameplay wise, for even crazier factions

So creating a race will be similar (but more advanced obviously) to the Stars! race creation system (I havent played many recent 4X games).

Also I think that a mechanical race should be a definite or at least beings that augment themselves heavily although I dont think they should be entirely software based, perhaps if they at least created mechanical bodies. And I think there should be a race of beings that resemble some kind of cult or monks. Although small in numbers each individual is very powerful (similar to space marines but not necessarily of human origin).
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 11:49:17 AM
Nightraid wrote:
Could you perhaps shed some light on the traits we'll be able to assign points to? Or is it too early for that?

I second that... just giving out the fact that there is one and not revealing the contents... thats like saying on a month before a b-day or x-mas thats heres your pressies... oh btw, you cant open them yet.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 12:10:55 PM
Reminds me of the first 15 years of my life :rolleyes:

Alderbranch wrote:
I second that... just giving out the fact that there is one and not revealing the contents... thats like saying on a month before a b-day or x-mas thats heres your pressies... oh btw, you cant open them yet.
0Send private message
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 9:02:35 PM
Nightraid wrote:

I think we could show you what we have planned so far, and as we are working on it atm, it could be great to hear your thoughts on them...

we need to check it out with skamaks.
0Send private message
13 years ago
Mar 13, 2012, 9:05:07 PM
That would be much appreciated. I think I'm speaking for most of us if I say that we're looking forward to seeing what you came up with.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment