Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Ship weaponry and defense

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Apr 19, 2012, 6:40:07 AM
Alderbranch wrote:
Nope, nor was high-pressure, vacuum/evaporated furnaces. I was essentially back to the basics with manual labor for the most of it. All grinding my oxides and metals by hand at that...

X-ray diffraction and SEM was the coolest we got... or well there was that with neutron diffraction too but since I had my samples shipped there to have it done I never did those things hands on there.

I'm working 500m away from our synchrotron radiation beamlines, there's a working free electron laser on the compound and XFEL is being built, here. XD

Alderbranch wrote:
Exactly. But I still don't see why that is bad defence.

Hm, depends on your defense doctrine. The best defense is, of course, not to be hit. You can achieve this by a) not being seen, b) being to fast to be targeted/evading or c) killing the enemy before he can shoot.

If you're hit, the minimum defense is to survive, until you can destroy the enemy. The medium defense is to survive while taking almost no damage at all. The maximum though, is to take the least damage with the least material budget cost.

The more force is applied by purely kinetic energy on a material, the thicker it has to be to accomodate. If you want to reflect kinetic projectiles instead of just stopping them, you need twice the force. That's my argument why it is a bad idea.

If the impact is inelastic, so e.g. heat is transferred by your hated laser beam, then I agree with you that reflection is a better option than absorption, even if there is a lot of force applied to the armor. It's better than the armor being melted, at least.

Alderbranch wrote:
I think so and while this is part of the english vocabulary in terms of chemistry/physics the forumrules says nothing about how advanced the said usage of the language could get.
Seconded :P
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 18, 2012, 9:39:50 AM
Alderbranch wrote:
*sigh* You really have to take this to the extreme levels don't ya? Science major or what?

Of course smiley: biggrin

But sorry, I always forget what counts as "extreme"...

Alderbranch wrote:
For one simple reason. Always bring your own explosives. You don't get a guarantee that they have electrons available for you to target. smiley: smile If you supply all ingredients for a big bada-boooom. Then its bound to happen. If you however rely on your opponent bringing their own doomsday with them... well then that plan could really backfire...

There's a lot of evidence for no stable natural antimatter, so it is not likely that they'll cruise around in antimatter ships. If they were, I'd just let a few Craver ships out of matter ram their battlecruisers and watch the spectacular explosions. ^^

Alderbranch wrote:
And I never said they would be close together... I said they would be nearly parallel which says nothing about the distance between them. That way the interactions occur when close to the target which is what you want anyway.

Nearly parallel at almost light speed is bound to be "close together" or it won't collide at the wanted point, so I took it for granted that we were talking about battles in light seconds distance at the most.

Sharidann wrote:
A lepton a day ... keeps the doctor away ! smiley: smile

For us mere mortals without technical background, that is !

You can look up how many electrons you might have, approximately, here: http://education.jlab.org/qa/mathatom_04.html XD
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 18, 2012, 9:46:05 AM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Of course smiley: biggrin

But sorry, I always forget what counts as "extreme"...

I dont blame ya... I myself did my Master thesis in inorganic and structural chemistry. ^^ But most ppl get tired long before. smiley: smile

Nosferatiel wrote:

There's a lot of evidence for no stable natural antimatter, so it is not likely that they'll cruise around in antimatter ships. If they were, I'd just let a few Craver ships out of matter ram their battlecruisers and watch the spectacular explosions. ^^

But you can have shielding based on antimatter and magnetic fields... smiley: smile The natural way to attack them is to overload them in some way. smiley: smile

Nosferatiel wrote:

Nearly parallel at almost light speed is bound to be "close together" or it won't collide at the wanted point, so I took it for granted that we were talking about battles in light seconds distance at the most.

Still its possible to do and as we have seen of the combat sofar we dont even need lightseconds.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 18, 2012, 9:54:20 AM
Alderbranch wrote:
I dont blame ya... I myself did my Master thesis in inorganic and structural chemistry. ^^ But most ppl get tired long before. smiley: smile

I did my diploma thesis (old german version of a "master thesis") in elementary particle physics, so I can't really resist... XD

Alderbranch wrote:
But you can have shielding based on antimatter and magnetic fields... smiley: smile The natural way to attack them is to overload them in some way. smiley: smile

I'm not really sure what the purpose of antimatter shielding would be. If the shielding antimatter is at rest and the incoming matter has an impulse toward the ship, the resulting explosive mess will be boosted towards the ship, depending on the incoming projectiles original impulse. Of course there will be some radial spread of energy, but I'm not sure that wouldn't just worsen things, since a lot of that additional energy would still hit your ship.

Magnetic protection would be a viable way to divert impulse of incoming charged particles, but of course there'd be the small matter of synchrotron radiation that would still hit the ship.

Alderbranch wrote:
Still its possible to do and as we have seen of the combat sofar we dont even need lightseconds.

That's why they'd have to be extremely close together from the very start.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 18, 2012, 4:29:05 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
I did my diploma thesis (old german version of a "master thesis") in elementary particle physics, so I can't really resist... XD

Mine covered conductivity in general as that was the aim for the synthesised compounds. Basically I was to bash at the crystal structure and see how much pounding it could take by pounding away specific atoms at specific positions in order to change the conductivity of the compounds. (most interesting was protonconduction and superconduction-properties).

Nosferatiel wrote:

I'm not really sure what the purpose of antimatter shielding would be. If the shielding antimatter is at rest and the incoming matter has an impulse toward the ship, the resulting explosive mess will be boosted towards the ship, depending on the incoming projectiles original impulse. Of course there will be some radial spread of energy, but I'm not sure that wouldn't just worsen things, since a lot of that additional energy would still hit your ship.

Magnetic protection would be a viable way to divert impulse of incoming charged particles, but of course there'd be the small matter of synchrotron radiation that would still hit the ship.
Explosions can be contained or deflected. Just look at a tank... it can deflect quite a punch... from the right angles...

And you are right... Magnetic fields should be sufficient to deflect most of the beam as said but for the synchrotron radiation you use another layer of deflection.

Anti-matter can just as well be excluded as a defensive form unless if its easy to deflect most of the the resulting explosion in order to create a distracting blinding light from the explosion in order to escape.

Nosferatiel wrote:

That's why they'd have to be extremely close together from the very start.

With a very long ship it could be covered anyway... one set of beams from one end and the other from the other. Sure there would be a maximum range this way around which is good and what I dont like about laser-weapons... the possibility to shoot yourself if you travel faster than the speed of light etc in the same direction as the laser you just fired... smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 18, 2012, 5:17:48 PM
Alderbranch wrote:
Mine covered conductivity in general as that was the aim for the synthesised compounds. Basically I was to bash at the crystal structure and see how much pounding it could take by pounding away specific atoms at specific positions in order to change the conductivity of the compounds. (most interesting was protonconduction and superconduction-properties).

Found any new high-temperature superconductor, yet?

Alderbranch wrote:
Explosions can be contained or deflected. Just look at a tank... it can deflect quite a punch... from the right angles...

Of course, but if your defense actually worsens the punch you have to deflect, I call that a bad defense. XD

Alderbranch wrote:
With a very long ship it could be covered anyway... one set of beams from one end and the other from the other. Sure there would be a maximum range this way around which is good and what I dont like about laser-weapons... the possibility to shoot yourself if you travel faster than the speed of light etc in the same direction as the laser you just fired... smiley: smile

Just think of WWII and the ME262. They started to have the same problems with firing at full speed, as far as I know. And once you allow ships to travel faster than light you can as well use tachyon weapons to shoot them.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 18, 2012, 7:24:23 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Found any new high-temperature superconductor, yet?

Nope, most on cuprate-perovskites etc has been covered. What we were looking at was Pyrochlores which has these really interesting tubular canals in their crystal structure.

Cadmium-Rhenium-oxides was the thing we started out with as they have shown super-conductivity at around 2K...

We tried to dope it but the problem is that it was a gasphase-transfer reaction where the Rhenium first and foremost changed into ReO4 before reacting with the Cadmium. ^^

Now ive stopped playing with chemistry and work fulltime as a CIO... I dubbed myself "Swedens most failed chemist" for that very reason ^^

You still doing particle physics?

Nosferatiel wrote:

Of course, but if your defense actually worsens the punch you have to deflect, I call that a bad defense. XD
Actually it is not. Its easier to deflect than to try to absorb. smiley: smile

Nosferatiel wrote:

Just think of WWII and the ME262. They started to have the same problems with firing at full speed, as far as I know. And once you allow ships to travel faster than light you can as well use tachyon weapons to shoot them.

Yeah true true... and that is what a upgraded beamweapon would be then. ^^
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 18, 2012, 7:37:50 PM
Alderbranch wrote:
Nope, most on cuprate-perovskites etc has been covered. What we were looking at was Pyrochlores which has these really interesting tubular canals in their crystal structure.

Cadmium-Rhenium-oxides was the thing we started out with as they have shown super-conductivity at around 2K...

We tried to dope it but the problem is that it was a gasphase-transfer reaction where the Rhenium first and foremost changed into ReO4 before reacting with the Cadmium. ^^

Building it from scratch by molecular beam epitaxy was no option?

Alderbranch wrote:
Now ive stopped playing with chemistry and work fulltime as a CIO... I dubbed myself "Swedens most failed chemist" for that very reason ^^

You still doing particle physics?

Working on my phd and starting to look into supersymmetry search with tau leptons. Otherwise doing some heavy flavour jet calibration with photon+jet and Z+jet events.

Alderbranch wrote:
Actually it is not. Its easier to deflect than to try to absorb. smiley: smile

Reflection inflicts twice the force on the material than absorption does, if the projectile is inert and doesn't react any further with the material. That's one of the reasons why solar sails work. If you deflect things at shallower angles the whole pressure inflicted on the armor is lower and the local pressure is significantly smaller since the area of impact is spread.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 18, 2012, 8:43:48 PM
Alderbranch wrote:
... cuprate-perovskites ... Pyrochlores ... Cadmium-Rhenium ... gasphase-transfer

Don't we have a policy that the forum language is English?

smiley: confused
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 19, 2012, 4:20:41 AM
Raptor wrote:
So the missiles in ES... smiley: stickouttongue[/QUOTE

Yeah...Iwasthinkingthesamething...whatsthechemicalcompositionorphysicalcomponentsthatmakesthosetriggersmiley: wink

Nosferatiel wrote:
Building it from scratch by molecular beam epitaxy was no option?

Nope, nor was high-pressure, vacuum/evaporated furnaces. I was essentially back to the basics with manual labor for the most of it. All grinding my oxides and metals by hand at that...

X-ray diffraction and SEM was the coolest we got... or well there was that with neutron diffraction too but since I had my samples shipped there to have it done I never did those things hands on there.

Nosferatiel wrote:

Working on my phd and starting to look into supersymmetry search with tau leptons. Otherwise doing some heavy flavour jet calibration with photon+jet and Z+jet events.

That just sounds so awesome just saying it. smiley: smile

Nosferatiel wrote:

Reflection inflicts twice the force on the material than absorption does, if the projectile is inert and doesn't react any further with the material. That's one of the reasons why solar sails work. If you deflect things at shallower angles the whole pressure inflicted on the armor is lower and the local pressure is significantly smaller since the area of impact is spread.

Exactly. But I still don't see why that is bad defence.

Slowhands wrote:
Don't we have a policy that the forum language is English?

I think so and while this is part of the english vocabulary in terms of chemistry/physics the forumrules says nothing about how advanced the said usage of the language could get.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 18, 2012, 9:09:18 AM
A lepton a day ... keeps the doctor away ! smiley: smile

For us mere mortals without technical background, that is !

Alderbranch wrote:
*sigh* You really have to take this to the extreme levels don't ya? Science major or what?

For one simple reason. Always bring your own explosives. You don't get a guarantee that they have electrons available for you to target. smiley: smile If you supply all ingredients for a big bada-boooom. Then its bound to happen. If you however rely on your opponent bringing their own doomsday with them... well then that plan could really backfire...

And I never said they would be close together... I said they would be nearly parallel which says nothing about the distance between them. That way the interactions occur when close to the target which is what you want anyway.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 19, 2012, 7:50:29 AM
Sharidann wrote:
Alderbranch and Nosferatiel.... GET A ROOM !!! smiley: stickouttongue

You are just jealous smiley: smile

Nosferatiel wrote:
I'm working 500m away from our synchrotron radiation beamlines, there's a working free electron laser on the compound and XFEL is being built, here. XD

Now I am jealous... I hate you now... *starts pouting*

Nosferatiel wrote:

Hm, depends on your defense doctrine. The best defense is, of course, not to be hit. You can achieve this by a) not being seen, b) being to fast to be targeted/evading or c) killing the enemy before he can shoot.

If you're hit, the minimum defense is to survive, until you can destroy the enemy. The medium defense is to survive while taking almost no damage at all. The maximum though, is to take the least damage with the least material budget cost.

The more force is applied by purely kinetic energy on a material, the thicker it has to be to accomodate. If you want to reflect kinetic projectiles instead of just stopping them, you need twice the force. That's my argument why it is a bad idea.

If the impact is inelastic, so e.g. heat is transferred by your hated laser beam, then I agree with you that reflection is a better option than absorption, even if there is a lot of force applied to the armor. It's better than the armor being melted, at least.

Yes and some defensive doctrines utilise the concept of using the opponents power against them... I mean its all about energy in the end. If some of the energy can be deflected while the other can be put to use to power some system, defensive mechanism or counter-offensive move then that would be the best. And I never said anything on the matter of reflection. You were the one that brought that up. smiley: smile Deflect is what I was after as that is the easiest way to remove much of the incoming force by redirection. Its the rest one has to deal with until it is reduced to a level that cause little or no strain on the structure that has to sustain it.

As for lasers... Still the lamest weapon ever.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 19, 2012, 9:28:54 AM
Sharidann wrote:
Alderbranch and Nosferatiel.... GET A ROOM !!! smiley: stickouttongue

rofl smiley: biggrin

Alderbranch wrote:

It went from advanced to... nerd-alien?! Yep that's it, nerdalien language. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 19, 2012, 11:44:16 AM
Alderbranch wrote:
Yes and some defensive doctrines utilise the concept of using the opponents power against them... I mean its all about energy in the end. If some of the energy can be deflected while the other can be put to use to power some system, defensive mechanism or counter-offensive move then that would be the best. And I never said anything on the matter of reflection. You were the one that brought that up. smiley: smile Deflect is what I was after as that is the easiest way to remove much of the incoming force by redirection. Its the rest one has to deal with until it is reduced to a level that cause little or no strain on the structure that has to sustain it.

As for lasers... Still the lamest weapon ever.

You mean aikido-like mechanisms? But those work by exerting force perpendicular to the motion of the opponent. Since forces are superposable that is a nice approach, but hard to cover in space, since there is no friction. Also you'd have to have very funny looking ships with active defenses around the ships main body that would fire at projectiles and missiles breaching the outer defense perimeter to be shot out into space where they don't deal damage any longer.

About reflective shieldings: I really don't understand how they would possibly work effectively. You'd need unlimited computational power (what hits where, when, with which force?), sensor power (find that whole stuff out BEFORE it hits you) and energy (stop the projectile, using the same force it has, then accelerate it in the direction it came from, using the same force it had, again).

Why not target yourself with a simple and nice cannon, using energy a lot more effectively and with a lot less computational and sensor power needed?

Absorption on the other hand: If you could harness lightning, so to say, why not? There's nothing wrong about converting your enemy's weapon power to boil a good tea.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 19, 2012, 1:14:04 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
You mean aikido-like mechanisms? But those work by exerting force perpendicular to the motion of the opponent. Since forces are superposable that is a nice approach, but hard to cover in space, since there is no friction. Also you'd have to have very funny looking ships with active defenses around the ships main body that would fire at projectiles and missiles breaching the outer defense perimeter to be shot out into space where they don't deal damage any longer.

That or many other martial arts. Still, id love the funny-looking ships... I mean ppl would not expect that. smiley: biggrin

Nosferatiel wrote:

About reflective shieldings: I really don't understand how they would possibly work effectively. You'd need unlimited computational power (what hits where, when, with which force?), sensor power (find that whole stuff out BEFORE it hits you) and energy (stop the projectile, using the same force it has, then accelerate it in the direction it came from, using the same force it had, again).
Or a laserbased quantum computer...

Nosferatiel wrote:
Why not target yourself with a simple and nice cannon, using energy a lot more effectively and with a lot less computational and sensor power needed?

Yeah that thing is nice too.. the problem as you well know is that you dont wanna spend your energy on that since nothing is ideal so some energy is always lost...

Nosferatiel wrote:

Absorption on the other hand: If you could harness lightning, so to say, why not? There's nothing wrong about converting your enemy's weapon power to boil a good tea.

Yes, and think of the insulting communications during the battle... the Admiral sits on his flagship and just after the opponent fires their beamweapon the admiral is given a good cup of hot tea whereas he thanks his opponent for supplying the energy and wonders if the opponent could fire a nice dozen or so times more so that his adjutants also could get their share. smiley: smile Talk about demoralising. smiley: smile

@Raptor: Nerdalien... could work as a race. They come from the planet Nerdalia... ^^
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 19, 2012, 1:34:32 PM
Alderbranch wrote:

Sorry, should have put a smiley face. I'm reading your conversation with wikipedia open...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 19, 2012, 1:45:58 PM
Slowhands wrote:
Sorry, should have put a smiley face. I'm reading your conversation with wikipedia open...

I was just being a smartass anyhow... should have put a smily me too smiley: smile

Are you getting any wiser?

You do realise we will have fun with the entire scientific part of each and every weapon and defensemodule you guys create right... Think one topic on each all filled with this techno-stuff.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Apr 19, 2012, 1:50:41 PM
Alderbranch wrote:
You do realise we will have fun with the entire scientific part of each and every weapon and defensemodule you guys create right... Think one topic on each all filled with this techno-stuff.

*drools* :rolleyes:
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment