Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Holy Crap Batman! Where did the UI for this game come from?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 7:44:15 AM
I have missed population transfer many times due to the sudden swivel too.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 9:16:43 PM
For a lesson in how a bad UI can crush all the fun out of a game, see Sword of the Stars. The tech tree! My God! It's like being trapped in a cement mixer full of Legos. Don't even get me started on the "beautiful" 3D star map that can only be navigated by screaming at your monitor.

The Endless Space UI gets a big thumbs-up from me as well. So clean, so functional. It doesn't try to look like a movie about playing a computer game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 9:03:22 PM
I've had very little experience with the game so far so I don't know how it works in practice much yet but it's so pretty and smooth. There seems to be a few kinks to work out of it from what people have said but it could really end up very elegant.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 8:48:00 PM
Zplintz wrote:
Errrr... hang on people - I meant I am 44 (half way to 88) not 87 -- LOL!
Loled. Well its still probably one of the most elderly gamers we get in the area. But half way to an age usually means that you need 6 more months lol.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 11:37:07 AM
This game UI is very similar to MOO3. I like it; but I'm a bit concerned about the potential issues if micromanagement is needed.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 9:01:09 AM
Remscar wrote:
Holy shit, your 87, im impressed.

Aerensiniac wrote:
Makes you wish you could play with your own gramps too, doesnt it?

I wish :<

Errrr... hang on people - I meant I am 44 (half way to 88) not 87 -- LOL!

Not only that but having a 4 year old and 8 year old at 87 would be very impressive (and I am surely hoping that doesnt happen).

XD.....

On another note - I am sooo looking forward to watching all the Star Wars films in Blu-Ray with my kids for the first time (and I have every intention of playing in (whatever is available at the time) at least one MMO with them when they are old enough).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 8:00:02 AM
Remscar wrote:
Holy shit, your 87, im impressed.
Makes you wish you could play with your own gramps too, doesnt it?

I wish :<
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 7:46:00 PM
Sorry - I only bought the game today, haven't really got to grips with the mechanics...Why? Because I am too in awe of the UI.

I am an old man - half way to 88 and I have seen an played most genre's of computers games from the start (when it was a game of ping-pong played with a simple flat paddle and a square ball (resolution was probably somewhere between 40 x 40 and 80 x 80 pixels.

UI's in games have been a major grip of mine for sometime - so many games try so hard to make their game look good by overdoing the detail in the UI that you miss the relevant stuff.

The UI for Endless is simply superb - it looks fantastic (which in my books isn't so important) but couple that with the simplistic style, ease of viewing and intuitive feel and well, its the best I have ever seen.

Well done - now if I could just stop playing with the UI (1080p set to fantastic and its still slick and responsive) and focus on the gameplay.

smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 3:49:08 AM
Agree that the System Screen swiveling is one bit of chrome too many...it serves no useful purpose and gets in the way of the pop transfer as noted.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 2:32:34 AM
My only gripe with the current UI is the needless swiveling around on the System screen. While fancy it can get kinda distracting and it really doesn't make dragging around population any easier, especially since you need to drop them exactly on a population slot for it to work.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 1:39:57 AM
Also loving the GUI. It's a freaking diamond in the rough of modern video games. And for an alpha? Just... wow.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 1:26:25 AM
Edraii wrote:
The best part about the UI?

Left Click, Do something, Right click back out and left click again...

So effing fast, so smooth, it takes almost half the time to get places in this game compared to other games in the genre!

I agree. The fact that you are able to right-click to exit the certain interfaces really makes it a lot more quicker than what you would've expect. The UI is simply awesome.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 12:51:36 AM
The best part about the UI?

Left Click, Do something, Right click back out and left click again...

So effing fast, so smooth, it takes almost half the time to get places in this game compared to other games in the genre!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 12:03:15 AM
TNSe wrote:
My guess is that its the best from various games, like Civilization 4/5 and Master of Orion III (the parts that didn't suck). I also saw some from Ascendancy if I'm not wrong. I also suspect the UI is not fully skinned yet.

Civ 5 was a generation of steps backward in UI design. I liked Moo3's though, which ES kinda reminds me of.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 10:45:01 PM
I am amazed at how smoothly it runs too. I hope they dont lose that by adding (unecessary) bling. I also like the turn based system because it doesn't matter if I have to explain to my 4 year old son what nipples are for (or to my 8 year daughter why searching for "Toys for Girls" didnt bring up the kind of website she was expecting and 'no i dont know why that microphone was wiggling like that' o.0 ) in the middle of a major battle.

So far I have run on my modest PC (quad core i5 2.8ghz, 8gb, 1tb, gtx260+) at max graphics

+

My old laptop (centrino dual core 2 2.5ghz, 2gb ram and some unknown (to me) graphics chipset at lowest graphics. It's easily playable.

and it will go on my work pc on Tuesday (Steam ftw).

Let's hope its easy enough for a lightweight casual player like myself (these days) to conquer.

Top Marks to the devs!
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment