Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Dust and it's uselessness

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 8:26:20 AM
Anyway, having lot of dust is really godsend for fast fast fast fast colonization and expansion. Buyout is your friend smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 11:21:34 AM
Kainen wrote:
When is Alpha2?

according to the news from dev team it should be today.

but that's just if everything goes well.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 10:48:47 AM
Miqqo90 wrote:
Revolts, riots, losing ships (or start losing health maybe due to no funds for maintenance) would sound good. Game could also force selling improvements until balance is achieved (as was mentioned in above posts but this could be a forced action).

This issue is fixed in Alpha 2, so no problems anymore!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 6:59:20 AM
Revolts, riots, losing ships (or start losing health maybe due to no funds for maintenance) would sound good. Game could also force selling improvements until balance is achieved (as was mentioned in above posts but this could be a forced action).
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 12:09:28 AM
Not sure if you would notice an update to that thread, but I would like to learn more![/QUOTE]

Sorry was a bit late noticing this email. Notification is somewhat inconspicuous.

My general tactic, as I mentioned in my post, is to prioritise dust over science. Why:

Allows you to develop faster, whilst you may be getting less science, you will end up getting far more in the longer term because you will have a far stronger economy and if you play right, far more effective systems (newly colonised systems are a drain on your economy, it isn't until later you get dividends from them.)

(buyout planetary upgrades, ESPECIALLY on newly colonised or conquered systems. E.G. Every time I conquer a system I buyout all of the +popularity upgrades straight of the bat to ensure it becomes productive fast.

With newly colonised planets I buyout all the planetary upgrades (usually hyperscale farms for any planet with low food production (for some reason it doesn't share between planets atm)

Then all the basic upgrades, such as the jerry can one (production), shopping cart (popularity), any +food ones are essential. Later in the game I buyout the moon exploration and the corrosponding techs for moon exploitation as well as they help immensely on a newly colonised planet. Doing this will allow you to go from effectively no food, prod, or sci to 40-100 of each, depending on the planets and how many of the upgrades you get.

If you get attacked you can quickly buyout a lot of ships (usually a destroyer fleet is your best option in this situation because they give you the most bang for your buck by far) ... having a large fleet on station constantly costs quite a bit in upkeep and also slows your economic progress. I usually leave my tax rate on 30% the entire game, and use planetary developments to make up for the reduced popularity (diplomacy is an important one to get early). Can easily make 10-20k dust per turn by round 70 which is obviously pretty massive. Once you find that you are no longer able to spend it fast enough then I start to swap over to prod > sci instead of prod > dust.

In the end prioritising dust over prod > sci will pay dividends later in the game, provided you have continued to expand (which is a lot easier with dust).

Hope this helps clarify the strategy, feel free to ask if anything is unclear (wouldn't surprise me given it is late where I am).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 3:24:59 PM
samboy29 wrote:
Dust is awesome, for the first 70 turns I use my overproduction to make dust instead of research. Allows you to rapidly develop new systems to extreme efficiency. Usually get economic victory by turn 100 on hard (i play as hissho), usually have around 30 star systems by that time. Wish the disable economic victory feature worked though, want to destroy everyone instead)

That is awesome! I have started a thread of 30-turn learning experiences. Can you post any one game, from turn 30, 60 and 90 so we can learn from it? (You can use "winzip" to zip multiple save files and then attach to a post)

/#/endless-space/forum/27-general/thread/8097-30-turn-challenge-help-me-learn

Also, there is a slightly painful way to turn off economic victory:

http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/showthread.php?740-Workarounds-to-Known-Issues&p=18379&viewfull=1#post18379
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 12:48:21 PM
I had the following situation in my last game : I was mopping up when pirates just ninjaed me. I needed a large fleet, but all my ships were far away. 4000 Dust allowed me to build what I needed in 3 turns.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 13, 2012, 12:45:38 PM
VitunSuoPaska wrote:
I did some searching but didn't find this mentioned anywhere so here are my thoughts.

Okay so here's the deal, I've played the alpha version for some good time now and I realized at one point that nothing happens if your dust goes 0 or below 0. so after that I tried out playing the game with no dust strategy, meaning I put tax rate to 0 after like 5 first turns (I buy all 3 heroes at those 5 first turns.) This strategy proofed to be really powerful, after all what do you need dust for? pretty much nothing if you get those tax rate 0 bonuses! This gives the player using no dust strategy too much advantage!

Thank you for your time.

Excuse me Sir, I work for the Intergalactic IRS. You currently owe us...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 4:59:38 AM
I did some searching but didn't find this mentioned anywhere so here are my thoughts.

Okay so here's the deal, I've played the alpha version for some good time now and I realized at one point that nothing happens if your dust goes 0 or below 0. so after that I tried out playing the game with no dust strategy, meaning I put tax rate to 0 after like 5 first turns (I buy all 3 heroes at those 5 first turns.) This strategy proofed to be really powerful, after all what do you need dust for? pretty much nothing if you get those tax rate 0 bonuses! This gives the player using no dust strategy too much advantage!

As a proposition on how to fix this, i'd suggest giving some sort of penalty if your dust goes below 0 (the happiness goes down, your spaceships gets scrapped, or something along those lines.) and/or make dust somehow more vital. (it did seem rather useless resource in my opinion, although i'm guessing it is lacking some of it's features in Alpha?)

More details on the strategy: (try it out yourself and see how powerful it is!)

During the few first turns 1-6 raise your tax rate so you have enough dust to buy your 3 starting heroes.

After getting your heroes you can lower your tax rate to 0, getting you those massive bonuses.

Just build all the buildings you need as soon as possible, ignore all the buildings that increase dust output.

The power of the strategy comes from ignoring one resource type altogether(as dust is not in anyway linked to other resources.)

This strategy has very few weaknesses the main one being that you cannot instantly recover your heroes if they get injured and you cannot recruit more heroes.

Thank you for your time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 8:00:42 AM
Sorry for the double post but when you go below zero it is meant to sell of your ships and planetary improvements until you balance the books, so to speak.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 7:58:41 AM
Dust is awesome, for the first 70 turns I use my overproduction to make dust instead of research. Allows you to rapidly develop new systems to extreme efficiency. Usually get economic victory by turn 100 on hard (i play as hissho), usually have around 30 star systems by that time. Wish the disable economic victory feature worked though, want to destroy everyone instead)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 5:53:08 AM
Zougkla wrote:
They were bluffing! LOL

I never thought to let my dust fall below 0...

Ya, they probably just haven't added the penalty yet. I wonder what it should be, perhaps an approval penalty?

and possibly a small (But growing) chance at major riots/revolts/revolutions.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 5:46:10 AM
They were bluffing! LOL

I never thought to let my dust fall below 0...

Ya, they probably just haven't added the penalty yet. I wonder what it should be, perhaps an approval penalty?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 5:43:58 AM
Rebellion, debt, and some other stuff are not working at the moment.

Also, battle cards will cost dust. Currently, most of them are free apart from one that needs 30 dust, but I believe their cost will be increased too.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 5:08:58 AM
Thanks for the answers, this thing was really bugging my mind for a few days before I posted it here. Now I can have peace.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 5:00:48 AM
Its a bug :rolleyes:
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment