Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] Reducing the number of systems in the galaxy - why?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 1:24:36 AM
RiscoUK wrote:
2 but in alpha version did not have a technologies such as a colonization program - that reduces negative effect from empire expansion

In Alpha, malus from empire expansion was so small you didn't need colonization programs and the like. Now happiness is a real problem if you expand more than your infrastructure/technology can handle. Mass expanding in a 200 systems galaxy probably requires a lot of terraforming to low-class planets.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 11:37:00 PM
These guys are trying to get funding for our first colony ship.

Mars*One Project (4-minute Youtube sales pitch)

My only question is how did they get those crew pods to land so close together?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 11:21:00 PM
Mansen wrote:
So what you're saying is that my "established" planets get mad when one of my outpost become a real colony? Wuzzah? That sounds completely stupid xD

No, maybe it wasn't clear enough in my post. Outposts don't suffer from expansion disapproval. Colonies do. That expansion penalty depends of the number of systems you control, and that includes Outposts, Colonies and systems you invaded.

Every new system you get control on hurts your established Colonies, but at least your new Outposts have 30 turns to prepare their infrastructure and approval improvements.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 10:34:08 PM
With all honesty I think that tune will change once their planets are so severely overpopulated that china like "one child per family" and having unbreathable atmospheres. :3

(See the first episode of the sci-fi series Terra Nova for a good example of what I mean)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 9:09:58 PM
Mansen wrote:
So what you're saying is that my "established" planets get mad when one of my outpost become a real colony? Wuzzah? That sounds completely stupid xD

If you factor in that a new colony may have cheaper labor, lots of cheap estates, even more market niches and certainly some kind of claim-rush for new resources, it'll probably end in: "They're taking our jobs!"-kind of unhappiness in the old colonies. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 8:43:57 PM
Marthnn wrote:
The expansion disapproval only appears once the system is officially a colony. Outposts just don't care. In my current game as Sowers, map size Large with around half systems colonized, I get around -30 to -50 disapproval from expansion. Approval improvements are essential, the first 3 at the very least.

0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 4:45:03 PM
Mansen wrote:
Does the disapproval go away once you get the systems inside of your influence? Or did I miss this new feature? Haven't had any approval issues on a huge map yet.

The expansion disapproval only appears once the system is officially a colony. Outposts just don't care. In my current game as Sowers, map size Large with around half systems colonized, I get around -30 to -50 disapproval from expansion. Approval improvements are essential, the first 3 at the very least.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 4:31:27 PM
I'd like to see the larger number of stars as an option, although with the end turn times I've been experiencing in the huge galaxies I'm not sure I'd be able to handle it. Maybe it's for the best. They might have had several reasons to reduce the number of stars, AI and balance are the developer's priorities right now and I imagine those issues are exponentially difficult when there are more stars to deal with.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 3:50:18 PM
RiscoUK wrote:
I also think that we'll never see in game a huge maps of 200 star systems, because the new expansion disapproval penalty system makes gameplay not possible on such maps

Does the disapproval go away once you get the systems inside of your influence? Or did I miss this new feature? Haven't had any approval issues on a huge map yet.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 10:28:13 AM
I have overwritten the old Saves.On the last game I had 64 systems, 14 systems have Hisho, 7 Sofons and 4 have Cravers, map (huge disk) at the time was opened a little over 50%

I also think that we'll never see in game a huge maps of 200 star systems, because the new expansion disapproval penalty system makes gameplay not possible on such maps
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 6:01:55 PM
For additional options, I think we should have:

Massive = ~100 stars

Gigantic = ~120 stars

Colossal = ~150 Stars

Gargantuan = ~200 stars

that way, stability or no stability, 1) former options remain stable and balanced, and 2) if bigger options become unstable for certain players, they can just avoid them whilst still having access to all former options.

During alpha, I edited my files so that each size was about 150% the size of normal and witnessed no issues with stability or balancing, just a slow loading time (during initial creation, it was fine during loading saved games). So if there are any stability issues, it would either a) only affect certain people, or b) only affect a certain % of games.

Of course, for larger maps like that, the current overexpansion penalty will be disasterous.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 5:30:08 PM
First off, I am pretty sure if they manage to optimise the current biggest galaxy sizes and there is a demand for even more stars/bigger maps they may will introduce enormous and massive size to have galaxies that are just that big. Map size must always factor current mechanics and stability. As things get better, the option to get bigger can be implemented.

Secondly, notice I did not say re-introduce. This is because I think they just updated the tool tips to be more accurate. I don't remember what the size of a 'Medium' used to be, but for me pre and post patch there was always about 45-50 stars (far less than the tool tip number, I think). The new tool tip says 48, which is about right both pre and post patch. So Medium has not shrunk despite the tool tip says a smaller number, what we have is the tool tip is actually in line with the actual number. Can anyone confirm the old largest was actually 200 stars, like actually 200 stars on the map (and not just what it says on the creation screen)?

Lastly the save break and happiness issue is a different matter (which is explained elsewhere). It has to do with the new expansion disapproval penalty and that the penalty reduction techs only work if you researched them after the patch. If there were already researched the reduction doesn't happen and you get hit by the full penalty no matter what. This should not be suprising, build changes in a pre-release game can wreck havoc on old saves, espeically a Alpha to Beta conversion.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 8, 2012, 4:51:49 PM
I hate this, too. I want the galaxy to feel like a galaxy, not like my back garden.

It seems to me that the devs just keep downgrading the game right now. Don't know why.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 10:03:27 AM
Hi all! So I decided to play this wonderful game after the patch, I chose a huge map, eight civilizations and prepared to begin a glorious star Crusade (play only for the UE), but quickly found out one sad thing - the galaxy has become more closely. Before the patch a huge map consisted of 200 systems are now a total of 80 systems, this is simply nowhere to deploy a full-scale galactic carnage.smiley: biggrin

This makes it possible to have an idea for the developers did not cut the maps, but give the players the opportunity to choose the number of systems on the map (For example the slider from 16 to 200), depending on their preferences and style of gameplay.

PS I apologize for my bad english, this is not my native language and I'm just learning
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 12:54:41 AM
Indeed, the smaller number has likely helped. I never had any reason to try huge maps before .42 - I hope they can reduce "end turn" processes before release though - especially the sound stutter.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 11:37:36 PM
Mansen wrote:
Well considering how the game stutters like mad in a .42 Huge, 8 player game I don't see why we'd want the 200 stars back until the game has been optimized.

Didn't they optimize it by reducing the number of stars to 80? Bingo, optimized.

Ya better watch out, you better not cry; the Optimizor's coming to town.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 7:54:37 PM
Well considering how the game stutters like mad in a .42 Huge, 8 player game I don't see why we'd want the 200 stars back until the game has been optimized.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 7:41:00 PM
TGreen wrote:
Opinion:

I think they decided that the UI became too clunky with 200 systems.

Fact:

You don't want that many systems in your empire anymore. They boosted

the expansion disapproval penalty out of sight for big empires. I loaded a

"huge galaxy" alpha save file into the beta. Happiness when saved in alpha

was around 80%, but recalculated as 31% when loaded into beta.

1 hmm maybe, but I have not problems with UI on a huge map with 200 systems

2 but in alpha version did not have a technologies such as a colonization program - that reduces negative effect from empire expansion
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment