Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Please nerf the "Elite Hunter" pirates

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Dec 9, 2012, 10:00:33 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
CAN WE NOT!

The elite hunters eaisly go down to 3 corvettes each.

Frankly I wish the pirates were harder, and could carve out better pirate empires!

You probably won't have three corvettes on turn ten.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 12:54:19 AM
If you have scouted your system and wait for the drive to use wormholes, send your scoutship around the system, from my experieance that keeps the piratespawn away for some time. Personaly i think that later in the game pirates could be harder since they poste no thread to well balnced fleet, not even if they controll the system.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 1:08:51 AM
Atlantis_Risen wrote:
You probably won't have three corvettes on turn ten.

Its not hard to build them when the event does pop up, and if you actually tired, 3 'Elite Hunter' killing corvettes by turn 10 is easy.

And that's not including the possibility of me being the Craver, and actually building ships to take advantage of the science for killing CP trait.

Romeo wrote:

Maybe a difficulty for Pirates, but not unanimously harder. Pirates suck if you're a peaceful race, they rip you to pieces then.

You should always have a fleet to defend yourself, even if you just use it as a bartering point in 'Gunboat diplomacy'.

Peace means having the bigger stick, and you may find the warlike races more tolerable when they fear you.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 1:54:54 AM
Igncom1 wrote:
Its not hard to build them when the event does pop up, and if you actually tired, 3 'Elite Hunter' killing corvettes by turn 10 is easy.

And that's not including the possibility of me being the Craver, and actually building ships to take advantage of the science for killing CP trait.

You should always have a fleet to defend yourself, even if you just use it as a bartering point in 'Gunboat diplomacy'.

Peace means having the bigger stick, and you may find the warlike races more tolerable when they fear you.

Early on, I'm not focusing on fleets as a peaceful race. Mid game, I may have an acceptable amount of defence, but not too much (Otherwise you prompt attacks from opposition). Late-game I let defence slide again so I can focus on research/development.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 3:05:02 AM
Romeo wrote:
Early on, I'm not focusing on fleets as a peaceful race. Mid game, I may have an acceptable amount of defence, but not too much (Otherwise you prompt attacks from opposition). Late-game I let defence slide again so I can focus on research/development.

Unfortunately, it's hard to play like this, since the AI cold war status usually means attack you on site.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 4:48:39 AM
Igncom1 wrote:

I apologize, but I am not skilled enough at the game to do that. At the time I learned about them, I had no weapons tech at all.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 9, 2012, 5:23:15 PM
Okay. On turn 10, my tiny, 2-system nation is attacked by two "elite hunters." They have higher weapons tech than my ships, and blow up every defense I have.

Really now? Turn 10? Can we please nerf the pirates?

EDIT: Perhaps I should rephrase the question: Can't we make that type of Pirate not appear at the very beginning of the game? Say, only start spawning at turn 10?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 1:32:10 PM
Like OP said in his edit: Make it so Elite Hunters don't spawn in the first X turns. (systems not in sight are able to spawn pirate, though I'm not sure how the fleet power is calculated. I've had random 80MP fleets, but also random 2000MP fleets around turn 50ish)

Also, to all the T_T about the exploration events ruining early game: Stop being greedy. Stop setting exploration events to full and getting butthurt when not all of them give you free stuff.

As for RANDOM pirate events, i've yet to play a game where a random negative event is given to me before turn 30. And I've played a lot of games with friends already. Also, the random pirate events I am given usually have an option to pay some dust and send pirates to the enemy systems. If you're scared, pick that one, even if you don't have enough dust, in which case they'll take all you have, even if it's just 1 dust.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 2:02:58 PM
TheFrozenOne wrote:
That is not exactly possible if you start on a crappy system and have no traits benefiting production. At 3-6 turns a corvette, you'd lose your home system before you could reach 3. The only real way to counter pirates that early is to gimp yourself on early system rushing. I'd rather have 3 or 4 systems than a couple of dust-draining corvettes. Then again, random pirate events ruin that.

I have had the pirates attack a colony of mine by turn 3, and there is no way they could take it before I could get 3 corvettes up (At 3 turns each) and then kill them.

Really guys, its not that hard, you can do it with the starting tech like I did.

As for the changed question, yes generally its a good idea to have thing's like this spawn after a set amount of turns.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 2:46:14 PM
Well.....I did it with kinetics.....and as Horatio.....
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 11, 2012, 4:07:48 AM
EpicPetunia wrote:
Like OP said in his edit: Make it so Elite Hunters don't spawn in the first X turns. (systems not in sight are able to spawn pirate, though I'm not sure how the fleet power is calculated. I've had random 80MP fleets, but also random 2000MP fleets around turn 50ish)

Also, to all the T_T about the exploration events ruining early game: Stop being greedy. Stop setting exploration events to full and getting butthurt when not all of them give you free stuff.

As for RANDOM pirate events, i've yet to play a game where a random negative event is given to me before turn 30. And I've played a lot of games with friends already. Also, the random pirate events I am given usually have an option to pay some dust and send pirates to the enemy systems. If you're scared, pick that one, even if you don't have enough dust, in which case they'll take all you have, even if it's just 1 dust.

I can't help but wonder how you've been playing then. In my experience, it's been about a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of helpful to negative, so running in to something bad that early on isn't just possible - it's likely. As for giving away all your Dust (Let's be honest, that early you wont have much Dust) that also sets one WAAAY behind, making it almost as bad of an effect as the damn Pirates are.

Mr.Spartan126 wrote:
I have the anwser, Missles. That is all.

Bwa ha ha! Yes. Missile spam > Everything.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 11, 2012, 6:32:11 AM
Missile Spam < Balanced defensive construction.

Regardless this has happened to me multiple times, and I don't mind it. I certainly makes the game more interesting.

You should note also that the pirates don't heal, so you should be able to basically knock the down by attrition. Furthermore in my experience they immediately leave your home system and head to another nearby system after they spawn.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 11, 2012, 7:24:08 AM
Waylander1982 wrote:
Missile Spam < Balanced defensive construction.

Regardless this has happened to me multiple times, and I don't mind it. I certainly makes the game more interesting.

You should note also that the pirates don't heal, so you should be able to basically knock the down by attrition. Furthermore in my experience they immediately leave your home system and head to another nearby system after they spawn.

Balanced defence will survive both Beam and Kinetic, sure. It most certainly will not stop a fleet full of Missile though. lol
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment