Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Who are the Deuyivan?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Feb 25, 2013, 3:25:44 AM
Maybe the Devs recognize the high popularity of the Deuyivan(all freaking out just because one Hero Picture^^) and make them to a real faction if they didnt has started with artworks and stuff for the actually planed new faction already^^ Hope dies last^^
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 9:59:41 PM
Good smiley: smile

Then I am free to make then grotesquely OP.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 6:54:51 PM
Yes it is only the first two tiers. Most of those techs you wont be able to use for a long time by which point you could have researched them yourself. It really wont be much of an early game boost. Youd have a much better early game with just legendary heroes. Regardless, all that tech can be researched in about 20 turns in a normal game. Not very good. I almost never waste points on tech because the advantage you get from it is so small. 4 trait points for only 40 science? Very rarley is that a good use of points. Putting all your points into techs you cant even use is like not having any traits at all.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 4:40:12 PM
You start with the trait techs just like in normal ES (The one's you can select for a custom faction).

These techs only stretch into the first 2 tiers of research not including the destroyer tech, as it had no trait. So the rest of the research tree is still there ready to be researched.

And their affinity gives them the ability to colonise gas giants from the beginning of the game, and with bonuses to food, approval, population space and industry (Not for the methane gas giant that focuses on industry), effectively making them very useful to the Deuyivan, almost like having more t1 or t2 planets to begin with.

Both of these give this faction a great head start into a game of ES, but in this effect they are also a curse, but then not providing them with any advantages to growth, ships or heroes, and a focus on a planet type that improvements cannot assist for the first half of the game, making them less effective them most.

This faction start off very, very good but soon drops off in effectiveness once the younger races catch up and are able to out compete them even with less tech and less available planets.

Of course there hasn't been much time to balance them, even if they do have sever dust problems early game due to infrequency of dust producing gas giants.

(The pilgrim affinity for colonising gas giant's is more due to the ability to research the tech faster then most, but personally I would tribute this more to the ability to unlock warp travel before anyone else.)

(And I like the amoeba affinity, it's great for trade and surveillance.)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 3:47:05 PM
what the heck? you start with like, all the techs researched....why? Does that serve to satisfy lore? because it certainly isn't helpful for gameplay. After about turn ~20, all those things would be researched anyway, so for the rest of the game you have literally no traits.

Or maybe you just haven't updated it smiley: biggrin

Also, if their affinity is able to colonize gas giants (which is basically already done in pilgrims) they definitely need some other bonus, food or approval. Even with that bonus, I feel like that affinity may be even more useless than the Amoeba one, unless you play on old galaxy where gas giants are more prevalent, and even then I wouldn't want to play this affinity for anything but the novelty of it.

I don't mean to be negative, I think making new factions is great :P I just don't feel like they would be very good.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 27, 2013, 8:58:05 AM

All that's missing is unique ship images (The smaller ones, defining ship type)

And unique technology's.

I may try and removing terraforming for them in favour of accretion to create gas giants.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 26, 2013, 3:48:31 PM
Yep.

Turns out I ain't so bad with the old code!
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 25, 2013, 4:18:03 PM
Igncom1 wrote:

So I am going to throw out a idea I have about what we are looking at in regards to its biology and where it comes from (Gas giants):

Oh, this will be fun.

First off, Carl Sagan had something to say about this, so I refer you to Cosmos if you haven't seen it.

http://youtu.be/XJMh_QoKTEE?t=52m44s

Actually, if anyone hasn't seen it I highly encourage you to watch the whole series (all on youtube).

If you actually watched the video (you should! you won't regret it!) then you saw the giant city sized balloons that *might* be able to evolve in the atmosphere of a gas giant. With a floating being so large, it isn't too much of a stretch to imagine that they have their own internal ecosystem, where conditions are slightly less awful than the gas giant. With that assumption made, perhaps the Deuyivan could have evolved symbiotically, in a more or less friendly, hydrogen rich environment.

Hell, they might have evolved believing that the whole world, or universe, was their single humongous balloon fish thing. Eventually, they began jumping to nearby balloons, and their version of Columbus found an entirely different ecosystem. Still, the thick gas clouds all around them obscured the rest of the universe, so they had literally no astronomy (scary thought).

But who knows!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 25, 2013, 10:49:19 AM
stasik28 wrote:
Lol, the problem is that they already said it's a minor faction... but then again these are only colonies split from their empires... and aren't custom factions minor? So maybe man... maybe...

Well, the people freak out sometimes and yes, I'd still like to see them as a real faction smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 25, 2013, 3:42:46 AM
Lol, the problem is that they already said it's a minor faction... but then again these are only colonies split from their empires... and aren't custom factions minor? So maybe man... maybe...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 24, 2013, 2:17:57 PM
Faction: Deuyivan

Classes: Corporate / Commander

Stats:

Labour: 0

Wit: 6

Melee: 0

Offence: 4

Defence: 5

As beings that evolved on a Dust-rich gas giant, the culture and society of the Deuyivan are either incomprehensible or inexplicable. Therefore, to simplify communication they tend to adopt the names of other sentients that they meet. Neuil, a mathematical genius who applied his skills to financial models and game theory, took the name of an Endless leader that he met during his first trip off his home planet.

From what we can gather from the hero description they are native to gas giants and their civilisation is inexplicable enough that they simple accept the names given to them by others.

A bit insectoid isn't he?...She?.....Shim? Sher?...Whatever..

So I am going to throw out a idea I have about what we are looking at in regards to its biology and where it comes from (Gas giants):

* This insect looking creature is a carnivore, it's claws and rough hide indicate that it is well adapted to attacking pray and surviving the harsh climate of a gas giant, darker colours showing that the creature would be better at stalking night pray.

But all that gas and fumes we see around the creature is coming from the deflated gas bag it uses to navigate the endless sky's of their home world, inflating and deflating to elevate it's self, and to catch herbivores and possibly the odd gas plant to supplement it's diet.

Looking a little thin when outside of it's habitat due to the need to stay as light as possible to remain agile in the thick and heavy gas giant air, it's mandibles and claws adept at striping the thick carcase of it's primary food source, allowing the Deuyivan to access the internal flesh, it's dinner.

And on the creatures head seems to he a sophisticated HUD (Heads up display, allowing the creature to access complex information wherever they go, much like a modern laptop or google glasses.

While they have had contact with the endless, it is alarming that this hero in particular has taken the name of a endless leader it met when off world, and yet is alive in the present era of the games setting, suggesting that either they have extremely long lives baring on a few thousand years, or are even more possibly biologically immortal, leading me to the assumption that they might have once had a small empire within the greater empire of the endless, and have since fallen during the dust wars as the endless did.

Leaving them as a minor race, they either were hit severely during the dust wars, or found the idea of building an empire to be beyond them. Which leaves me with a question...what exactly have they and their long life asses been doing on that gas giant all that time?...

Thanks for reading smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 25, 2013, 3:19:33 AM
You might be able to make one in Rhino or 3DS Max (or lightwave?) then import it as a model while using the correct format as the other stuff then create a path to it? Just wild le guessing le here
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 25, 2013, 12:31:45 AM
Igncom1 wrote:
I am still unsure about how to actually include a new faction into ES (Each time I have tried, it bugged out).

But the rest is just a matter of work, and copying what's already been done (Thanks amplitude!)

So In short I can just about do everything but the new ship models.

Well the models don't have to be new from the beginning, but yeah..
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 25, 2013, 12:21:46 AM
Really interesting read this, good job. I have no idea how all of that came from one picture but they do say a picture paints a thousand words so perhaps that is where they came from smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 24, 2013, 11:57:19 PM
I am still unsure about how to actually include a new faction into ES (Each time I have tried, it bugged out).

But the rest is just a matter of work, and copying what's already been done (Thanks amplitude!)

So In short I can just about do everything but the new ship models.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 24, 2013, 11:54:28 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Indeed, although considering their possible affinity at gas giants, that does leave some possible vulnerability in other-ways.

While an extra malus for other planet types would be the easiest to think up, I feel like a more blunt malus is in order.

Population growth could be one, making the early game painful to expand, but with the advantage of making gas giants as top priority as T1/2 worlds.

Hell if such a modder was crazy enough, they could make a race specific terraformation to make any planet type into a gas giant, improving the racial bonus and making invasions much, much worse for the attacker.

Interesting idea, but sure a hell to do D:
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 24, 2013, 11:40:49 PM
Indeed, although considering their possible affinity at gas giants, that does leave some possible vulnerability in other-ways.

While an extra malus for other planet types would be the easiest to think up, I feel like a more blunt malus is in order.

Population growth could be one, making the early game painful to expand, but with the advantage of making gas giants as top priority as T1/2 worlds.

Hell if such a modder was crazy enough, they could make a race specific terraformation to make any planet type into a gas giant, improving the racial bonus and making invasions much, much worse for the attacker.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 24, 2013, 11:39:02 PM
stasik28 wrote:
If these guys come from Gas Giants, that would mean that they'd have access to all planet colonization? Or would that mean their affinity is that they can colonize gas giants from the start. So if they were a playable race, their affinity would either be really strong (all planets) or really weak (just that you can colonize gas giants from start, maybe with the benefits of a terran/ocean/jungle planet? High population and no approval bonus? Maybe someone will make a mod with minor races being playable? (Has to be really good at modding (maybe race specific ships? Really good at modding then o_O))

Maybe they still are from a gas planets but gain positive approval from gas planets? smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment