Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Which standard faction is the strongest?

Amoeba
Automaton
Cravers
Hissho
Horatio
Pilgrim
Sophon
Sower
United Empire
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jan 9, 2013, 10:44:09 PM
I play Huge maps, where the Sophons weak combat potential comes back to bite them in the backside. On top of that, their Affinity is actually eclipsed by what Hissho and Cravers - two non-scientific races - can achieve on top of their excellent combat potential.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 8, 2013, 6:07:50 PM
Romeo wrote:
Pilgrims perform well against weaker races like Sophons and Sower, and especially in maps containing lots of asteroids and wormholes. They aren't completely useless like the Sowers.

That's much like saying "oh, but Sowers are cool if you make an especially inhospitable and low-resources galaxy where they could use their 2/2 Tolerant trait to an advantage" (yep, they are cool in such a setup, I checked that).

PS: Also -- Sophons are "weaker race", geez? Sophons are actually second-best after Cravers at early expansionism (fast movement + low-cost colony ships), and can often outperform even a human-played Hissho due to rapid expansion.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 9, 2012, 3:34:28 AM
sujay wrote:
Which faction is the strongest?

according to the map size

Well games usually are balanced over a medium size map.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 2:35:44 AM
n18991c wrote:
Actually I once or twice had games in which the Sowers ended up ruling over a vast area of space, but on the other hand they in other games frequently only own a couple of systems... it varies quite a bit.

And the Pilgrims once also ended up a major enemy of mine, which sort of doesn't work with their lore I think, but hey, weird things happen smiley: stickouttongue

On the whole, however, I think the Amoeba tend to emerge as one of the strongest factions in the game!

The Sowers have a lot of potential later on however their success depends on the map/resource setting & if the pirates decide to take over their territories or not, in many games I had Sowers at the brink against pirates. One of my current games playing with the Automatons I had to rescue the Sowers many times and now late in the game they have started to expand very fast.

I believe this machine alliance must come to an end soon as the Sowers are exploiting the alliance in order to cut me from expanding smiley: twisted

I had also had a game where the Pilgrims in an alliance with the Hissho owned half the map, both were enemies and I negotiated alliances with other the other factions (including Sowers who I had an early war with lol ) and the galaxy pretty much split in two camps with the Sophons being a neutral third group and covering some 30 percent of the territory although with bribes and resources I got them to join in on my alliance yet dang Hissho pretty much split their territory into 3 pieces and my alliance block fell apart smiley: frown

In one of my current games I am playing as the Pilgrims and I own a small area of the map (13 star systems, all my current games involve no more then 330 turns since they all crash and lock up due to a major bug), roleplaying an anti expansionist game with 1 Sophon AI, 1 UE Ai & 5 Cravers. I am surrounded by the Cravers on all sides (one of them has been eaten by another stronger Craver) and my military is currently weak due to the faction trait that gives -25% space on ships & the Cravers uber FIDS bonus. Time will tell if my hippies can break through Craver territory and contact the Sophons for an alliance.

SG1 anyone?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 11, 2012, 2:31:38 AM
Igncom1 wrote:
Like I said, The Amoeba is a devious opponent.

Never underestimate the persistence of bacteria or viruses.

Take the flu for example in which humankind has been trying to eradicate since the conception of modern medicine!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 10, 2012, 6:54:00 PM
n18991c wrote:
Yes I remember you saying that back then... that particular turn of phrase still brings a smile to my face smiley: wink

Your welcome lol
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 10, 2012, 6:48:36 PM
Igncom1 wrote:

Yes I remember you saying that back then... that particular turn of phrase still brings a smile to my face smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 10, 2012, 4:32:28 PM
n18991c wrote:
Actually I once or twice had games in which the Sowers ended up ruling over a vast area of space, but on the other hand they in other games frequently only own a couple of systems... it varies quite a bit.

And the Pilgrims once also ended up a major enemy of mine, which sort of doesn't work with their lore I think, but hey, weird things happen smiley: stickouttongue

On the whole, however, I think the Amoeba tend to emerge as one of the strongest factions in the game!

0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 10, 2012, 4:31:05 PM
Fresh_Undies wrote:
Poor Pilgrims stand at 0 votes & who in the world voted for the Sowers? Dem robots are not Skynet or the Cylons they are more like anti war/anti work hippies lol

0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 10, 2012, 4:33:21 AM
Poor Pilgrims stand at 0 votes & who in the world voted for the Sowers? Dem robots are not Skynet or the Cylons they are more like anti war/anti work hippies lol
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 9, 2012, 7:03:03 PM
Amoeba, definitely, they can end up having huge empires with powerful fleets
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 9, 2012, 12:44:20 PM
Amoeba: Knowing where to fly to colonize, to meet another factions & insane boost to trade routes much earlier than anyone else (because you know, how to fly to your friends/enemies :P!) => +++

Hissho: 45 Rounds FIDS bonus + infinite stacking of fleet power => +++

Cravers: Nice bonus, but you are forced to invade, which is sometimes risky and is a little bit depend on how the map is designed. The downside of Cravers trait can hit you really hard & everyone knows, that at some point your strength is decreasing. => +

UE => Nice bonus, which boosts you through the game. Not so big boost like Hissho-Boost, because high taxes are in most cases counterproductive smiley: wink. => ++

Sophon => Research Genius, which gives them a small edge over anyone else => ++ (while a little bit bader than industry bonus of UE => industry > science!)

Pilgrim => In theory it is a great faction affinity, but i do find it quiet hard to sacrifice a working system, to push a mediocre system. Short term it is a huge disadvantage & it is quiet hard to decide on when to sacrifice a system. => +

Horatio => If you have the right heroes, it's an INSANE bonus. If you have the wrong heroe, it is only mediocre, a Fleet-hero is not good as a system hero & if you clone a leveled up hero, the bonus is only very little. => +

Sower => I feel, that this faction affinity has negative impact on youir economy + only 60 points for traits WTF! => --

Automaton => I am still not sure about the affinity, the extra industry can be nice in some points. It seems to be not negative like the Sowers one, but is also not even close to the ones of Hissho or Amoeba => perhaps + or 0
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 9, 2012, 9:56:16 AM
Hissho. They're expanding very fast, obliterating other factions in passing.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 9, 2012, 1:44:07 AM
I feel it would be better to improve the others to the same level rather then reduce the better ones.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 8, 2012, 4:00:54 PM
I find that in order the strongest players are usually Amoeba, Hissho and the UE.

While the Hissho are really good warmongers, the Amoeba and UE are effective empire builders and really play the game well in all of its aspects, with them being 2 sides of the same coin when comparing their aggressive and passive nature.

Both make really good allies, and a all UE game is recommended for anyone wanting a game with a lot of war and backstabbing diplomacy, they can get really fun.

Edit: But considering the nature of the question, I would say that the Sowers and Pilgrims need to be improved as both have problems stats/affinity's wise that I feel is detrimental to their gameplay.

The Sophons and Horatio just need to be played well, as a good Sophon player can quickly develop powerful weapons and the Horatio can quickly stake clams over a large area, preventing enemy expansion and easily watching the borders while hey develop.

Any further development of specialization and uniqueness of the factions is always welcomed.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 8, 2012, 3:48:40 PM
I think, when you begin in the game, that the cravers are the worst opponent you can encounter. When you gain some experience, maybe Hissho become annoying, very annoying for victories upon expansion/domination.

Amoeba are a dreadful opponent when it comes to trade linked victories.

In fact, I think factions are quiet well balanced, depending on how you want to win while facing them.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 8, 2012, 2:42:45 PM
I'm going to go ahead and be a voice of dissension then: I feel Cravers are among the most powerful AI enemy. Especially in big games. They can explore and expand rapidly early game, and by the time the player gets around to booting them out, they've already ruined a large portion of the planets. It makes them really good at wars of attrition.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment