Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Wings in space

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 1:32:50 AM
Sovereign wrote:
i never saw a chicken gliding more then a few meters.

and pinguines are obviously just fishes with feders and ostriches are horofic abominations of nature.

Lol I won't argue about ostriches, they kind of are. But what do you mean feders?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 1:38:52 AM
i mean "federn" the german word for feathers....sry but its very late over here i mixed up the languages^^
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 1:45:24 AM
stasik28 wrote:
Not sure, but I think chickens can fly? (At least glide), just nowadays they clip their wings to make sure they don't fly away (and what about penguins and ostriches)

Chickens don't fly more than a few feet. And penguins can't even lift all that blubber of the ground for a single second lol
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 1:50:12 AM
Sovereign wrote:
i mean "federn" the german word for feathers....sry but its very late over here i mixed up the languages^^

Ah ok, but do penguins even have feather? They have some weird... skin over them but I doubt feathers would help them swim smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 1:52:48 AM
go fast enough and you onloy need to glide #runk.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 1:58:55 AM
Are u drunk Igncom1 ?

Edit:Igncom1 is obviously drunk^^
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 2:47:12 AM
I feel a need to stick up for the emus while we're on the subject of flightless birds, they're basically ostriches but there's a difference.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 7:45:28 AM
Penguins use their wings to "fly" through water...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 9:10:20 AM
and dont forget the Kiwis^^ those little badasses.

man we are kind of offtopic^^

mhhh but...what if spaceships are so biological(even more then amoeba) that they go through an evolution process (instead of a space programm the species got an forced evolution program)

then maybe wings can also remain as rudimentary remains of former evolutionary stages.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 9:53:46 AM
Well wouldn't that be more like selective breeding to get the best ship hull, rather then evolution?

How did we get here! lol
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 10:18:35 AM
i dont know^^

mhh but what if the ships are thrown into an arena like the illegal rooster fights (now we are back to the chickens...the cycle is completing) and the ships which survives is allowed to...well reproduce itself with the other spaceship ladys.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 10:24:09 AM
rooster fights with giant acid guns, sending out tentacles to rend flesh of opposing ships and to then finally devour the organic heart of its opponent?

If you have the time, that would be an ecstatically good way of breeding a fleet....just make sure they don't rebel.

Then have them piloted by by a neural interface and there you go! A organic gundamn!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 10:30:23 AM
iam officialy securing me the copyrights of this ;D
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 10:45:14 AM
Sovereign wrote:
iam officialy securing me the copyrights of this ;D

Better be fast, Apple gonna sue you smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 10:56:50 AM
This is officially the best forum on the earth.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 11:56:01 AM
On the one hand, carrying fighters that are not capable of atmospheric flight becomes a serious issue for invading any planet.

Though I agree with The quasar that pure spaceborn fighters might look different, I'd like to make lists for the different requirements.

Atmospheric fighter:

- Unstable aerodynamics to provide maximum maneuverability and minimum air resistance

- Any mechanic generating an uplift

- engine outlet in the opposite direction of the main propagation direction

- either thrusters or rudders to modify the horizontal propagation, best at maximum distance to center of mass pivot point

- either thrusters or ailerons to modify the vertical propagation, best at maximum distance to center of mass pivot point

- aerodynamic weaponry that is effective in an atmosphere (nonrelativistic kinetics, rockets, overlapping laserfields without nonlinear optics behaviour at their wavelength and energy)

- Must be able to land/dock somewhere to refuel and replenish ammunition

- Should be light to minimize necessary uplift and maximize maneuverability

Spacefighter:

- shape constraints by requirements for radiation mitigation (you want your pilot to survive cosmic radiation levels) -> possibly bulky/heavily armored cockpit if not automated in the first place

- constrained by necessary overheat-countermeasures -> need radiators to get rid of excess heat

- thrusters to modify the horizontal propagation, best at maximum distance to center of mass pivot point

- thrusters to modify the vertical propagation, best at maximum distance to center of mass pivot point

- no constraints on weaponry (relativistic kinetics, rockets, high energy lasers)

- Must be able to land/dock somewhere to refuel and replenish ammunition (and possibly life support)

- Weight has to be balanced with thruster capabilities to ascertain maneuverability

If I look at the two lists, at least for bombers that do not use any radiation weapons, these two schemes might very well be combined.

For fighters I have to agree that it doesn't really make a lot of sense to have atmospheric and space capable crafts in one, since this would mean to cut down on the weaponry for space.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 12, 2013, 12:04:20 PM
Nosferatiel wrote:
On the one hand, carrying fighters that are not capable of atmospheric flight becomes a serious issue for invading any planet.

Though I agree with The quasar that pure spaceborn fighters might look different, I'd like to make lists for the different requirements.

Atmospheric fighter:

- Unstable aerodynamics to provide maximum maneuverability and minimum air resistance

- Any mechanic generating an uplift

- either thrusters or rudders to modify the horizontal propagation, best at maximum distance to center of mass pivot point

- either thrusters or ailerons to modify the vertical propagation, best at maximum distance to center of mass pivot point

- aerodynamic weaponry that is effective in an atmosphere (nonrelativistic kinetics, rockets, overlapping laserfields without nonlinear optics behaviour at their wavelength and energy)

- Must be able to land/dock somewhere to refuel and replenish ammunition

- Should be light to minimize necessary uplift and maximize maneuverability

Spacefighter:

- shape constraints by requirements for radiation mitigation (you want your pilot to survive cosmic radiation levels) -> possibly bulky/heavily armored cockpit if not automated in the first place

- constrained by necessary overheat-countermeasures -> need radiators to get rid of excess heat

- thrusters to modify the horizontal propagation, best at maximum distance to center of mass pivot point

- thrusters to modify the vertical propagation, best at maximum distance to center of mass pivot point

- no constraints on weaponry (relativistic kinetics, rockets, high energy lasers)

- Must be able to land/dock somewhere to refuel and replenish ammunition (and possibly life support)

- Weight has to be balanced with thruster capabilities to ascertain maneuverability

If I look at the two lists, at least for bombers that do not use any radiation weapons, these two schemes might very well be combined.

For fighters I have to agree that it doesn't really make a lot of sense to have atmospheric and space capable crafts in one, since this would mean to cut down on the weaponry for space.
Babylon 5 had a very elegant solution. THey had specialized fighters that has airfoil wings that that swung out for atmospheric flight, or fixed wing aircraft the could serve both duties.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment